Chapala.com Webboard

Current Info

HarryB

1 hour ago, RickS said:

But YOU don't represent 300+ million people. 

And, you certainly don't either ! :D  Check out  MERS, maybe that will suggest something to you, or Spanish Flu.  Probably not, though.  When a person becomes educated beyond their intelligence, logic and facts mean nothing to them.

1 hour ago, El Menudo said:

Namaste 🙏 sarcasm is sometimes difficult to grasp.  

I've seen that tern used before by people educated beyond their intelligence. They think they are better than others. Actually, they are inferior. :D

3 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

I've seen that tern used before by people educated beyond their intelligence. They think they are better than others. Actually, they are inferior. :D

An educated person is by definition an intelligent person. If ya ain’t educated then ya ur stupid dude. Wonka wonka!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Menudo said:

An educated person is by definition an intelligent person.

That happens to be an unintelligent and uneducated statement. There are plenty of people who are highly intelligent and lack any kind of education. Just as there are plenty of people who were privileged enough to receive an education and remain unintelligent. Like the spring-break kids who are out there partying as if there isn't a killer pandemic in progress. They apparently go to school, otherwise what are they taking a "spring-break" from? Yet they are obviously unintelligent.

• Like 1

Originated in China, hidden from the world for weeks, covered up, whatever. Yes, China Virus. People are entitled to their own opinions, not their own facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

No photo description available.

Nice photo capture Mainecoon. Please notice the DATE and the headline regarding the CDC. So MUCH time wasted. That is the date that the U.S. should have been taking action not, now, two months later.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Doesn't anyone remember the Hong Kong Flu of the late 1960s?  I do: my whole family had it. We were sick, we felt crummy, we got better. I recall a couple of fellow students who came back to school and reported they had lost great-grandma or great-great uncle to the virus. This was back in the days before flu vaccines and Mother Nature took her natural, at times cruel, course.

Also, viruses tended to be called by their point of origin or other physical description--hence, chicken pox, smallpox, mumps, measles--the word etymologies bare significance in the name.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Nice photo capture Mainecoon. Please notice the DATE and the headline regarding the CDC. So MUCH time wasted. That is the date that the U.S. should have been taking action not, now, two months later.

Travel ban from China instituted a week prior to the date.  Formal set up of U.S. task force only 3 days later.  Maybe you need to read up on the actual action time line.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Travel ban from China instituted a week prior to the date.  Formal set up of U.S. task force only 3 days later.  Maybe you need to read up on the actual action time line along with those who liked your post.   Funny though I haven't seen a single one of you explain the 4+ month delay for any action in 2009 on H1N1.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

What was the date that leadership finally acknowledged it.

Angus posted a link about spray  tan man's calendar of events that would be interesting to compare

3 minutes ago, Ferret said:

LOL. Just the facts please.

I posted the facts.  The Chinese didn't admit they had a problem until the first of the year and didn't institute a travel ban until 3 days after the U.S. did.  That is a fact.  A little over a week after the travel ban the U.S. organized and started up its task force   Ironically the same folks who are screaming about the response now immediately went on the attack about the travel ban.  

You can start getting informed by reading this:

https://www.vox.com/2020/1/27/21082354/coronavirus-outbreak-wuhan-china-early-on-lancet

It's too bad we can't go back to 2009 and see what you all had to say about H1N1's incredibly tardy response but I'll wager it was zero.  :D 

25 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Great way to skate on the question that I asked.  Yup, the 2009 response was tardy but a Pandemic Team was put in place so that it never happened again. Wonder who shut that down too.

The guy you're arguing with, his last name is Kruger.  Middle name Dunning.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/obama-wait-swine-flu-n1h1/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Thank you for the FACTS.

Yes, indeed.  However, it's been my observation that once a person is down on someone, that person can do no right, and vice versa for those who support someone, regardless of what that person says or does.   I'm inclined to be skeptical of any loyalties, especially to so-called "leaders". I'm a fan of "fact checking".

16 hours ago, Kyle said:

It is not  the CHINA virus!  Very racist!

So the Spanish Flu didn't originate in Spain? The Ebola virus is named after the Ebola River. This is a long standing naming tradition and won't be changed by the politically correct.. Do you understand that Wuhan is in China?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

Great way to skate on the question that I asked.  Yup, the 2009 response was tardy but a Pandemic Team was put in place so that it never happened again. Wonder who shut that down too.

No one.  You are posting fake news again.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/03/17/no_the_white_house_didnt_dissolve_its_pandemic_response_office_142683.html

It was a consolidation of duplicative functions.

Also to help you continue your education:

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/02/27/trump-johns-hopkins-study-pandemic-coronaviruscovid-19-649-em0-art1-dtd-health/

No, the response wasn't perfect and the POTUS stuck his foot in it a few times because he felt it important to address the growing panic with optimism.  But it was a helluva lot better than 2009.  And as the above expert reference shows it was better than most of the rest of the world including small countries that have a lot less logistical problems to deal with.

Nope.  You have the direct testimony of the guy who took over.

Snopes didn't address the consolidation.  Probably deliberately.

Because I know some of you won't read links that don't fit the agenda:

President Trump gets his share of criticism — some warranted, much not. But recently the president’s critics have chosen curious ground to question his response to the coronavirus outbreak since it began spreading from Wuhan, China, in December. It has been alleged by multiple officials of the Obama administration, including in The Washington Post, that the president and his then-national security adviser, John Bolton, “dissolved the office” at the White House in charge of pandemic preparedness. Because I led the very directorate assigned that mission, the counterproliferation and biodefense office, for a year and then handed it off to another official who still holds the post, I know the charge is specious.

Now, I’m not naive. This is Washington. It’s an election year. Officials out of power want back into power after November. But the middle of a worldwide health emergency is not the time to be making tendentious accusations.

When I joined the National Security Council staff in 2018, I inherited a strong and skilled staff in the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate. This team of national experts together drafted the National Biodefense Strategy of 2018 and an accompanying national security presidential memorandum to implement it; an executive order to modernize influenza vaccines; and coordinated the United States’ response to the Ebola epidemic in Congo, which was ultimately defeated in 2020.

It is true that the Trump administration has seen fit to shrink the NSC staff. But the bloat that occurred under the previous administration clearly needed a correction. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, congressional oversight committees and members of the Obama administration itself all agreed the NSC was too large and too operationally focused (a departure from its traditional role coordinating executive branch activity). As The Post reported in 2015, from the Clinton administration to the Obama administration’s second term, the NSC’s staff “had quadrupled in size, to nearly 400 people.” That is why Trump began streamlining the NSC staff in 2017.

One such move at the NSC was to create the counterproliferation and biodefense directorate, which was the result of consolidating three directorates into one, given the obvious overlap between arms control and nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction terrorism, and global health and biodefense. It is this reorganization that critics have misconstrued or intentionally misrepresented. If anything, the combined directorate was stronger because related expertise could be commingled.

The reduction of force in the NSC has continued since I departed the White House. But it has left the biodefense staff unaffected — perhaps a recognition of the importance of that mission to the president, who, after all, in 2018 issued a presidential memorandum to finally create real accountability in the federal government’s expansive biodefense system.

The NSC is really the only place in government where there is a staff that ensures the commander in chief gets all the options he needs to make a decision, and then makes sure that decision is actually implemented. I worry that further reductions at the NSC could impair its capabilities, but the current staffing level is fully up to the job.

You might ask: Why does all this matter? Won’t it just be a historical footnote?

It matters because when people play politics in the middle of a crisis, we are all less safe.

We are less safe because public servants are distracted when they are dragged into politics.

We’re less safe because the American people have been recklessly scared into doubting the competence of their government to help keep them safe, secure and healthy.

And we’re less safe because when we’re focused on political gamesmanship, we’re not paying enough attention to the real issues. For example, we should be united behind ensuring that, in a future congressional appropriations package, U.S. companies are encouraged to return to our shores from China the production of everything from medical face masks and personal protective equipment to vitamin C and penicillin.

And we should be united in demanding to know why the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) was aware of the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan early in December, maybe even November, and didn’t tell the rest of the world, when stopping the deadly spread might have been possible.

Just as the United States has fought against fake information aimed at our elections, we should fight back against CCP propagandists. They are not only campaigning against the use of the term “Wuhan virus” (a more geographically accurate description than “Spanish flu” ever was about the 1918 pandemic) but now also promoting the false claim that covid-19 was created by the U.S. Army. Public health officials have pinpointed a wild-animal market in Wuhan as the outbreak’s origin.

There are real threats emanating from this pandemic. We need to focus on getting our response right and save the finger-pointing for what comes after. This is the United States — we will get through this. And for the love of God, wash your hands.

This piece originally appeared in the Washington Post and has been reprinted with the author's permission.

Tim Morrison is a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute and former senior director for

BTW, to their credit the Washington Post that published the initial misinformation followed up by publishing this corrected and detailed version of what actually transpired.

• Thanks 1