Chapala.com Webboard

Please read this, our lives depend on it!

Alpha1

As the old saying goes, "Don't get me started."

I would condition any bailout on the airlines rolling back the added fees, and more crowded planes with less leg-room, over the last 10 + years that have allowed them to rake in BILLIONS of dollars that they used to pay bonuses, stock buybacks, stock options that encourage CEOs and BODs to walk all over passengers to make more money, etc. I remember free meals in economy class "Would you like chicken or pasta?"

Make them pay the rank-and-file workers better wages; make them bring back customer service that is truly customer service. Claw back some of those bonuses.

Any personal comments to/about me, please PM.

• Like 2

That's very interesting and I urge everyone to read the entire thing.  It's a smart politician that hangs on to people who don't agree with him all the time.  

But you're going political here.  Wanting to get the thread locked?  Is there anything else to be said about the OP?

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

US population : 327.2 million

SK population:   51.5 million

Ratio: 15.74%

US virus deaths: 458

Expected SK deaths @ 15.74% ratio:  72

Actual SK virus deaths:  111

Put another way:

Rate of deaths in US: 458 / 327.2 million = .000139975%

Rate of death in SK:  111 / 51.5 million    = .000215533%

Wow, big jump in US deaths....over 100 dead in one day.  Biggest increase since it hit.  Now up to 520 dead.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, elevator said:

Population isn't the issue I raised. It's all about response and the South Koreans blew us away with their testing response as did several other countries.

Apples and oranges again.  Is it hard for you to grasp the difference that geography, population size, number of governments and as was pointed out by another poster, the actual difference in the per capita death rate.  Response is very much a function of how many people and how much government are involved.  To argue otherwise is ignoring the reality of the different logistics required in each situation.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Apples and oranges again.  Is it hard for you to grasp the difference that geography, population size, number of governments and as was pointed out by another poster, the actual difference in the per capita death rate.  Response is very much a function of how many people and how much government are involved.  To argue otherwise is ignoring the reality of the different logistics required in each situation.

Yes, I agree. It is not easy and simple to compare the counter measures taken by each country. As of today in Japan we have 1,128 infected person and 42 death numbers. Korea has 8,961 infected and 110 person deceased as of yesterday.
Korea has conducted much more testings and put more severe restrictions and controls. Tokyo has been very quiet since February. But only amusement facilities, schools and big events have been shut down so far. Shops and restaurants are still open as in the past.
One thing I really doubt drive through testing method is fair or not; If possible it is very important to change clothings every time testing conducted.

Please stay calm.

Here is the latest from Italy, which has practiced social distancing for the past month - and it is still this bad!  Even decent medical services can become completely overwhelmed in a huge pandemic.  I saw a video in a hospital with 180 people waiting to be admitted, sick people all over the entire place.  This pretty much precludes any "normal" typical medical care that one might need.  So, forget any normal health care as long as this contiunes.  The airlines could get bailed out but that is not going to help the sick get well any time soon, let alone stop the tidal wave of this pandemic.

Remember, without social distancing and  other precautions which all sensible people are taking, WE... become... Italy.  It could realistically take months for this pandemic to die down, if you'll pardon the expression.

https://ncrnoticias.com/internacionales/el-peor-dia-de-italia-627-muertos-en-24-horas/?fbclid=IwAR2-I2CXx3IG5hIL5kJKdqwlPpzGSJnSo3ap6tqWvsPxRayJyyiRJy1CCS8

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

It's actually pretty hard at this point to separate the US response to the virus from politics, as the response has been politically, rather than medically driven. 

Yes, given what the "loyal opposition" is trying to do with the economic relief bill I think you have a response.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Debating the political ramifications of the crisis with Mainecoons is a totally useless proposition.  His ideas and philosophy are completely frozen and people like him are best just left to their own devices. Fortunately there is a substancial number of people with open eyes and an open mind that will continue being the antidote to this ilk.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Debating the political ramifications of the crisis with Mainecoons is a totally useless proposition.  His ideas and philosophy are completely frozen and people like him are best just left to their own devices. Fortunately there is a substancial number of people with open eyes and an open mind that will continue being the antidote to this ilk.

Go look in the mirror.  LOL

Does anyone know what is going on in the county I am living in? How many ventilators are available in Mexico, specifically lakeside? What are they doing for treatments? 

Have they started to use the Malaria drug to treat it yet? What is the survival rate, which age groups are the most likely to get it?

Just now, luvsdawgs said:

Does anyone know what is going on in the county I am living in? How many ventilators are available in Mexico, specifically lakeside? What are they doing for treatments? 

Have they started to use the Malaria drug to treat it yet? What is the survival rate, which age groups are the most likely to get it?

Do not worry, Pers Abrador and or God will handle the situation

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

It is dismal. Example:

In San Luis Potosi:

"The Secretary of Health of the State Government, Dr. Mónica Liliana Rangel confirmed that throughout the state there are just over 100 artificial ventilators of which only 50 are available for the emergency of COVID-19 since the others are being used for patients pneumonia, influenza and other respiratory diseases.

Artificial respirators are essential to save the lives of people who are infected with the Coronavirus, however given the possible spread of COVID-19 in San Luis Potosí with the few respirators that exist could collapse the health system.

Dra. Monica Liliana Rangel also reported that 20 more respirators have already been requested from the federation to be able to be prevented in case the pandemic spreads through San Luis Potosí territory."

AMLO has no financial or logistical plan yet and is telling people go about your business as normal. 

https://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/opinion/antonio-cuellar/en-donde-es-mas-peligroso-el-coronavirus

"Where is the coronavirus most dangerous?

The Tages-Anzeiger headline that circulated in Zürich on March 17 last asked "Where is the coronavirus most dangerous?" Because of the number of victims who will die from the disease, or from starvation and neglect, we have found the answer this past weekend, in Mexico."

• Thanks 1

Given the lack of medical facilities our best hope here is this French treatment protocol works out and we can actually treat the thing if we get it.  There are additional studies going on now in France and a big test in NY and we might have some definitive results by early next week.

In the absence of that, avoiding exposure is basically all we have here.