Chapala.com Webboard

darn it!

happyjillin

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

I am interested in Mennonites. My best friend in Canada is from a community that moved to Aldergrove, BC. He is a retired artist and art teacher. His father was sent to the U.K. for farm work under almost slave like conditions as a concientous objector to WW2. I just wanted you to know that after his past 20 years of Peter B.S. people know exactly who he is and what he is about. Damn, now I have to write to my friend in Calgary, head of the Heritage Buildings Department in Calgary city hall to tell Glenbow that they might want to authenticate their antique instruments collection.

Thank you Chillin,  a little more about the Mennonites.  They had Mennonites in Oklahoma even before the Mexican migration.  During World War II they refused to go into the service so they built a special work camp for them until after the war.  Here in Prague where I live a family settled here from Chihuahua, Mexico maybe 50 years ago.  They did well and more and more Mennonites came here.  Today the biggest businesses in the area are owned by the Mennonites.  A large cement plant, a trailer manufacturing plant, a metal fabrication and construction plant, and a feed store that sells farm equipment all across the United States.  As for the women, a main thing is the raising and selling of parakeets.  They sell thousands of them each week.  Sometimes they don't have sales so will just turn that weeks supply loose.  Of course, they don't last long in the wild.  The people are hard working and honest.  One time I was having lunch with them and they were discussing the election for Deacon in their church.  One suggested the owner of the cement plant and another said, "we can't vote for him, He  lies!" 

23 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I am interested in Mennonites. My best friend in Canada is from a community that moved to Aldergrove, BC. He is a retired artist and art teacher. His father was sent to the U.K. for farm work under almost slave like conditions as a concientous objector to WW2. I just wanted you to know that after his past 20 years of Peter B.S. people know exactly who he is and what he is about. Damn, now I have to write to my friend in Calgary, head of the Heritage Buildings Department in Calgary city hall to tell Glenbow that they might want to authenticate their antique instruments collection.

They did and it was a long process and then they gladly paid for the whole collection because i wasn't going to let them cherry pick. They asked me if I would object to them selling some of it and I told them once they owned it,they could do what they wanted. You have claimed to have many best friends,are they all imaginary? In any event, I am long retired  so your goal for whatever reason will not sully my exemplary reputation. You would have as much trouble trying to fiddlle with this fine folk art instrument, made by an ethnic Norwegian in eastern Saskatchewan, as you have tried to fiddle with me to no avail.  🤣😛😴

happyjillin chillin

2.JPG

18 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Thanks for the phone number. I figured you'd have it handy somewhere since you started the thread about her. Haven't been to Lkeside for at least 5 years, so you'll lilley have to wait quite awile for me to bring you some.

Oh darn! like I said the only place that makes them here are not up to standard. Are you getting some from her?

17 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

Thank you Chillin,  a little more about the Mennonites.  They had Mennonites in Oklahoma even before the Mexican migration.  During World War II they refused to go into the service so they built a special work camp for them until after the war.  Here in Prague where I live a family settled here from Chihuahua, Mexico maybe 50 years ago.  They did well and more and more Mennonites came here.  Today the biggest businesses in the area are owned by the Mennonites.  A large cement plant, a trailer manufacturing plant, a metal fabrication and construction plant, and a feed store that sells farm equipment all across the United States.  As for the women, a main thing is the raising and selling of parakeets.  They sell thousands of them each week.  Sometimes they don't have sales so will just turn that weeks supply loose.  Of course, they don't last long in the wild.  The people are hard working and honest.  One time I was having lunch with them and they were discussing the election for Deacon in their church.  One suggested the owner of the cement plant and another said, "we can't vote for him, He  lies!" 

Wow there's Prague Oklahoma. That must have been founded by Bohemians.  Did some of them show you how to make rouladen in your  restaurant? But yet once more you are showing very little knowledge about Anababtists as a whole with what you claim to be actual experience. I bought a trailer to move here in Alberta that was made in a  Mennonite plant in Mexico and a sales office in Brandon Manitoba the jefe there being Pancho Giesbrecht.

56 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Are you getting some from her?

Well, now that you so kindly provided me with her number, I will call her at some point to find out where in PV she is located, and if it's not out-of-the-way for me when I do my PV runs, then I would definitely like to try her perogies.

If you get some, we hope you will report your impression of them back here. In the meantime, I wish my Ukranian friend had given me her recipe for her perogies like my French Canadian friend did for her tortiere. I have tried the local variety of tortiere and was so disappointed. Way too sweet and not at all savoury. Sigh.

If and when we ever have Tenderflake lard here, I will make them again. The inside mix is really not that difficult. But the pastry texture is important as is the addition of bread crumbs to soak up any fat in the hot mix. You should be able to cut into a tortiere and have it stand on it's own like a piece of cake.

Sorry I misunderstood. Yes, pierogies are a LOT of work, tourtiere not so much. I was cruising on line tourtiere recipes and was surprised at the number of them that used mashed potatoes instead of breadcrumbs. Turns out you have to specify "breadcrumbs" in your search. Still, the amount of the breadcrumb addition is very flexible in nature since it depends entirely on how much fat is rendered from the mix of ground pork and ground beef. I also tend to put more ground cloves in it than cinnamon and nutmeg.

We all have our faves.

8 hours ago, slainte39 said:

LOL.....My grand daughter says that is one of the expressions that they now teach in French classes that you should never say.  Like "to´p o´ the morn" in Ireland.

WE are talking  Quebecois which is not like Parisian French. The totally  worst cuss is "Mon Dieu, Tabernac" and is  used by just about everyone when they feel like cussing.

36 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I knew a lot worse cuss words in Quebecois than that when I worked for the Federal government. Mon Dieu was not a swearword, and no one used it without irony.

According to my Quebecqois acquaintances and friends over the years  mon dieu,tabernac[the whole phrase] was the nastiest thing one could say.  McD's got into big trouble with their first store in Montreal when they chose to translate  the Big Mac to  Le Gros Mac.

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

According to my Quebecqois acquaintances and friends over the years  mon dieu,tabernac[the whole phrase] was the nastiest thing one could say.  McD's got into big trouble with their first store in Montreal when they chose to translate  the Big Mac to  Le Gros Mac.

Well, I worked with mostly French Canadians for many years in the government, and Mon Dieu was rarely said, and when spoken, raised eyebrows for it's silliness. (Not that Le Gros Mac has anything to do with the discussion, nor does the canned beans that went from Big Joe's to Le Gros Jo [I'll let you look that up]). Chalice was truly offensive.

6 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

Boy, am I ever good at derailing a thread about perogies to a French lesson!!!....and I don´t know shxx about either one.  LOL:D:D:D

I´ll blame it on the "solitary confinement".

jaja! It's ok since I started this thread in the hopes of some levity anyway and some drooling over pierogies which nobody here makes properly but one can at least get good garlic sausage and kraut.

20 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Well, I worked with mostly French Canadians for many years in the government, and Mon Dieu was rarely said, and when spoken, raised eyebrows for it's silliness. (Not that Le Gros Mac has anything to do with the discussion, nor does the canned beans that went from Big Joe's to Le Gros Jo [I'll let you look that up]). Chalice was truly offensive.

It sure does because McD had bricks thrown through their window because in Quebecois le gros mac[mec?] means big prick. When one is marketing in a different language,one should interpret , not translate or just keep it the same-eh!

99% of dumplings, pierogis, potstickers, gyzoza are made from a machine. The machines range from  kitchen tabletop up to full factory mode. The filling is your choice and your budget. This machine, for example, can change molds to anything you require.

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

99% of dumplings, pierogis, potstickers, gyzoza are made from a machine. The machines range from  kitchen tabletop up to full factory mode. The filling is your choice and your budget. This machine, for example, can change molds to anything you require.

I would suggest that 99.9+ of households make pierogies by hand and the vast majority of good ethnic restaurants do so as well.

pierogi making.jpg