Chapala.com Webboard

darn it!

happyjillin

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Yum. Comfort food. Cook bacon, then take out of the pan and crumble. Cook cheese/potato and onion perogies in the bacon fat then serve sprinkled with the  crumbled bacon. Heart attack in a meal. Do I care? Nope.

Don't forget the sour cream and the smokey or chunk of garlic sausage with.

My Lithuanian grandmother would be furious at you two.....it's Lent!  She and my mother made 100's of pierogies kaldunys each week during Lent.  Potato or farmer's cheese, take your pick 😁  

On the price point...back in the 70s I had a friend who was a member of the local Polish Club.  Pierogies were 10 cents a piece and they were fabulous.  

1 minute ago, Ferret said:

Bisbee Gal, talking about food is forbidden for Lent?

Gringal, perogies and cabbage rolls don't have to be bland.

Meat.  As in bacon. 

Growing up we abstained from meat 7 days a week during Lent.  Our meals were either pierogies,  kaldunys, potato pancakes, macaroni and cheese (homemade), fish sticks (but cut from real fish), cheese pizza, spaghetti with meatless sauce, grilled cheese sandwiches, fresh caught fish if they were biting. That was pretty much it.  

Jeeze religion enters to screw up something about food that we find tasty  There are people of many religions and atheists here.  And to be blunt,  the local restaurant doesn't make good perogies[potato] or cabbage rolls and charges more than Gramas in PV. Tried twice in case the first time was a mistake,it wasn't. She's even from the same town in Poland that my Frau's mother was from. My wife and her friends do like breakfast there and other things for lunch as well.

14 hours ago, happyjillin said:

They're in PV. Gramas Kitchen sells REAL perogies, potato cheddar and onion[100/doz, or with bacon chorizo or taco meat filling [120/doz] They do sell them frozen as well as fresh-hmmm? Too bad we can't get a descent perogie here at a reasonable price.

Perogies is usually spelled Pierogi and are  a product of central and eastern Europe.  In my Mennonite restaurant we stuffed  the dumpling with home made cottage cheese but depending on where in Europe many stuffings were used such as potato, sauerkraut, cheese and meat.  I sold many pierogi's to the mennonite community due to the time and trouble it was to make the cottage cheese.  I guess the wife's had better things to do. The Mennonites in Canada, United States and Mexico mainly came from Russia and Switzerland.  They are a good people and I have many friends among them.  

3 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

Perogies is usually spelled Pierogi and are  a product of central and eastern Europe.  In my Mennonite restaurant we stuffed  the dumpling with home made cottage cheese but depending on where in Europe many stuffings were used such as potato, sauerkraut, cheese and meat.  I sold many pierogi's to the mennonite community due to the time and trouble it was to make the cottage cheese.  I guess the wife's had better things to do. The Mennonites in Canada, United States and Mexico mainly came from Russia and Switzerland.  They are a good people and I have many friends among them.  

You are so wrong about the Mennonites in Canada and the US  coming mainly from Russia. Yes I am an  expert on that having, 55+ experience in antiques and folk art as a professional picker and before that collector in Canada with vast experience in both countries.. the first Mennonites where invited from Germany by the governor of Pennsylvania in the 17th century. the Russian [really from Ukraine.] didn't start coming until about 1870 . The Mennonites in Mexixco  came from the bunch that originally settled in Manitoba. In any event. The Ukrainians taught them how to make pierogies and that is the standard for the good ones that we have  been fortunate enough to have access to in Alberta where they first settled in Star. in 1891. the Ukrainian pronunciation is peer-o-hee. Edmonton is called Edmonchuk for a reason and you can get any kind of peer-o-hee one can dream of even in Safeway for next to nothing. Yes they are a lot of work and generally done by more than one person or a group like my snowbird friends from Canada do for a Ukrainian night in Guayabitos. There is a large Ukrainian community .in Toronto too.

6 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Where in PV is Grama's Kitchen? Doesn't come up on a Google search.

Her name is Karen Laforge [on FB] and she normally does some markets but right now she'll deliver or designate a place for pickup only.

Foto of her product.as posted on JR'S PV FB group under Gramas Kitchen. She gave her cell # in her post.

perogies gramas kitchen pv.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, happyjillin said:

You are so wrong about the Mennonites in Canada and the US  coming mainly from Russia. Yes I am an  expert on that having, 55+ experience in antiques and folk art as a professional picker and before that collector in Canada with vast experience in both countries.. the first Mennonites where invited from Germany by the governor of Pennsylvania in the 17th century. the Russian [really from Ukraine.] didn't start coming until about 1870 . The Mennonites in Mexixco  came from the bunch that originally settled in Manitoba. In any event. The Ukrainians taught them how to make pierogies and that is the standard for the good ones that we have  been fortunate enough to have access to in Alberta where they first settled in Star. in 1891. the Ukrainian pronunciation is peer-o-hee. Edmonton is called Edmonchuk for a reason and you can get any kind of peer-o-hee one can dream of even in Safeway for next to nothing. Yes they are a lot of work and generally done by more than one person or a group like my snowbird friends from Canada do for a Ukrainian night in Guayabitos. There is a large Ukrainian community .in Toronto too.

I beg to differ with you.  The main group came from the Ukraine(Russia).  They were originally industrious farmers in Germany but were out casts there.  They were invited to Russia and given free land.  This they made into prosperous farms but when the communists took over, the farms were taken from them and they had to go elsewhere.  This is when the the great migration to the Americas happened.  They settled with Mennonites already here in Canada, United States, Mexico, Belize and several other South American countries.  This is why ,at least, in my area they speak a black dutch german.

46 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I beg to differ with you.  The main group came from the Ukraine(Russia).  They were originally industrious farmers in Germany but were out casts there.  They were invited to Russia and given free land.  This they made into prosperous farms but when the communists took over, the farms were taken from them and they had to go elsewhere.  This is when the the great migration to the Americas happened.  They settled with Mennonites already here in Canada, United States, Mexico, Belize and several other South American countries.  This is why ,at least, in my area they speak a black dutch german.

Beg all you want, I  made a living for 18+ years as an expert professional antiques picker dealing and socializing with Mennonites,other Anabaptists ,other ethnic settlers of the Canadian prairies including Anglos and in the states of Montana, Dakotas,Iowa and Minnesota. I have given lectures in museums and to collectors groups and some of my finds have been in books. I researched everything very well as a serious antiques collector, with some education, becomes a pretty knowledgeable historian. By saying "the wife's[sic] had better things to do is just one thing that shows your lack of knowledge, as Mennonite[actually all Anabaptist] girls are taught in the kitchens at a very early age. What they speak is Plautdietsch which for your edification translates to " flat" German  not "black". The Ukrainian Mennonites and Hutterites made/make entirely different styles of furniture than the Anabaptists that preceded them.  I really enjoy discussing history as it relates to antiqes and  am the administrator for 2 antiques groups on FB ,one of which keeps growing and is just shy of 3000 members. Mennonite founder,,Menno Simons. Hutterite founder, Jacob Hutter.

I owned a Mennonite restaurant where all the employees were Mennonite my mother had Mennonite maid and later a Mennonite care giver.  The men have built houses for me and made repairs.  A Mennonite bales my hay for me  and I buy my feed at Mennonite feed store.  I speak with them several times a week.  The Mennonites here mainly came here from Mexico. They were going each year to a reunion in Mexico and to Canada on alternating years.  They have had to forgo going to Mexico because of the drug cartels.  Most are now leaving Mexico and coming here or to Belize.  You may have book learning but I have personal knowledge.  As for the women working I think I have a better knowledge of what the women do than you.  I have gone to their church meetings, singings and picnics.  I have also owned a antique store and mall and have done appraisals.  I have traveled all over the world and visited the museums while there.  I have many Mennonite stories and may one day write them.

15 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I owned a Mennonite restaurant where all the employees were Mennonite my mother had Mennonite maid and later a Mennonite care giver.  The men have built houses for me and made repairs.  A Mennonite bales my hay for me  and I buy my feed at Mennonite feed store.  I speak with them several times a week.  The Mennonites here mainly came here from Mexico. They were going each year to a reunion in Mexico and to Canada on alternating years.  They have had to forgo going to Mexico because of the drug cartels.  Most are now leaving Mexico and coming here or to Belize.  You may have book learning but I have personal knowledge.  As for the women working I think I have a better knowledge of what the women do than you.  I have gone to their church meetings, singings and picnics.  I have also owned a antique store and mall and have done appraisals.  I have traveled all over the world and visited the museums while there.  I have many Mennonite stories and may one day write them.

I clearly stated that I have socialized with Mennonites while I also did  the antique thing for a living.That ain't book learning and, dat deit mi leed,  but that you will never know as much as I do. Based on a lot of your posts,you have been a very busy guy, busy enough to be at least 4 people. Makes one wonder about whether you have given yourself a border promotion or two🤣😴 Curious what is a Mennonite restaurant and if you had such a place do you have fotos?

On 3/23/2020 at 3:08 PM, mudgirl said:

I don't do Facebook. Any chance you could PM me her number?

After a great deal of effort i found Karen's # for you : 322-224-4596. She sells them cooked or frozen so I  expect to be compensated for this hard work by you bringing me 2 doz. frozen the next time you come to Chapala.😀😀😀

35 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I am sure other viewers aren't interested in the Mennonite discussion so I will forgo it.  My apology for getting away from the thread.

I am interested in Mennonites. My best friend in Canada is from a community that moved to Aldergrove, BC. He is a retired artist and art teacher. His father was sent to the U.K. for farm work under almost slave like conditions as a concientous objector to WW2. I just wanted you to know that after his past 20 years of Peter B.S. people know exactly who he is and what he is about. Damn, now I have to write to my friend in Calgary, head of the Heritage Buildings Department in Calgary city hall to tell Glenbow that they might want to authenticate their antique instruments collection.

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

After a great deal of effort i found Karen's # for you : 322-224-4596.

Thanks for the phone number. I figured you'd have it handy somewhere since you started the thread about her. Haven't been to Lkeside for at least 5 years, so you'll lilley have to wait quite awile for me to bring you some.