Chapala.com Webboard

Heading for US border today

We're off this morning to Saltillo, then on to Columbia bridge tomorrow.   Theory is that if they turn us back, we can return to Saltillo to stay over, then back here on Tuesday.

We're hoping, as Canadians returning home, they'll let us through.  Not tourists, not leisure travel.   They are letting Canadians switch planes in the US, so here's hoping.  Our embassy thinks they will.

We think we are probably, who knows, better off down here, but our health insurance will run out at the end of April, and insurers are not reinsuring travel insurance or not under the same conditions.  

If anyone is ahead of us on this trip and can update us before we leave Saltillo in the morning, we'd appreciate it.  We'll do the same once we hit the border.  

This is an email I received from friends who just arrived home(Saturday) in Southern Ontario.  Admittedly, they crossed at Colombia on Wednesday - before the US-Mx border restrictions, but.....

"The drive home was the fastest we have ever accomplished in 21 years. Unbelievable pace through United States and our bypass of Toronto. We have never seen anything like this. The Mexican, US, and Canadian border obviously did not want to have any contact with us so we were scooted through with only the Canadian duty official asking us three questions about our health and then handing us information on who to call if we feel symptoms of the virus. All officials were masked and had protective hand wear. All extremely polite."

Safe journey......  "Wash your hands" 

1 hour ago, stuphel said:

We're off this morning to Saltillo, then on to Columbia bridge tomorrow.   Theory is that if they turn us back, we can return to Saltillo to stay over, then back here on Tuesday.

We're hoping, as Canadians returning home, they'll let us through.  Not tourists, not leisure travel.   They are letting Canadians switch planes in the US, so here's hoping.  Our embassy thinks they will.

We think we are probably, who knows, better off down here, but our health insurance will run out at the end of April, and insurers are not reinsuring travel insurance or not under the same conditions.  

If anyone is ahead of us on this trip and can update us before we leave Saltillo in the morning, we'd appreciate it.  We'll do the same once we hit the border.  

Hi stuphel

If you can please keep us up to date on your travel.  I'm going to be following you in 2 weeks   Gracias

• Like 1

Friends crossed yesterday around 7pm at Columbia border.  They were told by border agents they would not be allowing Canadians to cross after midnight.  However, I have read that Canadians have crossed at Nogales without issue after the border closing.  It may be a case by case situation or perhaps different procedures at different crossings.  At any rate, it’s certainly worth a try if you need to get home.  Good luck and safe travels.  

1 hour ago, Dostortas said:

Friends crossed yesterday around 7pm at Columbia border.  They were told by border agents they would not be allowing Canadians to cross after midnight.  However, I have read that Canadians have crossed at Nogales without issue after the border closing.  It may be a case by case situation or perhaps different procedures at different crossings.  At any rate, it’s certainly worth a try if you need to get home.  Good luck and safe travels.  

The thing Customs might have been saying was that they always close at midnight and no one can cross between 24:00 & 08:00 any day

3 hours ago, stuphel said:

If anyone needs a turn by turn log for the Ajijic Libramiento to Columbia Solidarity Bridge please PM me with your email and I will send you my log that was updated in Feb 2020.

Sending you LOTS of positive travel energy and I hope they'll let you cross and continue you to your home in Canada.  Thanks for keeping us posted!

Cyber hugs,

Val  :)

• Like 1