Chapala.com Webboard

La Paceña

ComputerGuy

Not sure if any restaurant reviews are worth much at the moment (home delivery is great, but something like breaded fish is going to be soggy, which kind of interferes with the delight). But went to La Paceña last week, and I have to say everything has improved and stayed improved, it seems over the last year or so. I do find the prices a tad high, but what you get for your money in terms of quality and service means it's worth it to me.

Their sashimi appetizers cost as much if not more than a main dish, but oh man, are they good. Fresh ingredients make it worth the splurge every now and then. The filete Joe dish sounds like fish'n'chips at first, but is so much more, and covered in a very tasty sauce. Be careful when ordering some dishes, such as the quesadilla pollo, as it is spiced with rajas (strips of green chili pepper).. and if you ask if the food is "spicy hot", you will be told, most definitely, "no". Which is only true if you were born and raised here on hot sauce. I don't find it particularly hot, but my companion just couldn't eat it. So I gave her my absolutely crunchy and juicy breaded fish of the day, and we both won. Sides of spiralized veg were cooked just right and tasted fresh.

Service from a young man named Rafael was very entertaining. And spot on. Non-alcoholic drinks are not cheap (38 for a limonada is just too much; go for the agua fresca instead at 28).

• Like 1

When La Pacena first opened I thought it was great and told them so.  Later a brother/partner left and it started going down hill.  I ate there several months ago and it was terrible.  Glad to hear it is improving, will have to try again. 

A few weeks after it opened, I went. Then a few weeks after. I wanted what they then specialized in: fish and chips. It was awful every time. Eventually they introduced a tuna dish, which people raved about, and I guess they've only gone up from there. Definitely the fish is cooked properly now, with a reasonable portion (they originally served taco-sized bits, like at Lake Taco, and soggy chips), and good rough fries.

Without a doubt my favorite restaurant in town .....consistent food....yes consistent food ...not often found in the Chapala area ...the prices... not cheap...but I feel appropriate , considering they specialize in fresh seafood ...the price of which has mushroomed over the past year or two . A CHEF lives here...