Chapala.com Webboard

Social Distancing - Not Required in Mexico?

AlanMexicali

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/judge-orders-government-to-take-measures-to-combat-coronavirus/

"Judge orders government to take measures to combat coronavirus

The president and health ministers have 24 hours to inform the judge of what steps they'll take

Published on Thursday, March 19, 2020

A federal judge has ordered the federal government to take all necessary measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus and detect people who have the infectious disease.

The Mexico City-based federal judge’s ruling on Thursday came in response to an injunction request filed by members of Mexicans Against Corruption and Impunity (MCCI), a civil society organization.

The MCCI members claimed that the government has failed to implement effective measures to avoid a widespread outbreak of Covid-19, which had sickened more than 233,000 people around the world and claimed the lives of close to 10,000 as of Thursday afternoon.

If the government fails to inform the judge within 24 hours of the measures they will take to combat Covid-19, “a fine will be imposed on it,” the court order says.

López Obrador and his administration have been criticized for not doing more to combat the spread of coronavirus in Mexico, where the number of confirmed cases has increased from 12 on Wednesday last week to 118 on Wednesday of this week.

The president said Thursday that the government wouldn’t close airports or “shut down everything” due to the economic impact that would have on the poor.

“Of course we’re worried about the situation of the epidemic, and we have to attend to it, but we also have to act responsibly,” López Obrador said.

Rosa María del Angel, head of the Department of Infectomics and Molecular Pathogenesis at the National Polytechnic Institute, said that she was worried that Mexico will end up in a situation like Italy, “where measures weren’t taken on time, and the number of cases started to get away from them.”"

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Closing down airports is going to impact the poor?

28 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

The president said Thursday that the government wouldn’t close airports or “shut down everything” due to the economic impact that would have on the poor.

I think the key word in that statement was the "OR"

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/s/amp.milenio.com/politica/coronavirus-mexico-19-marzo-noticias-hora-casos

Google Translation:

"Coronavirus in Mexico, news of March 19

State and municipal authorities have tightened the measures before the increase in cases of coronavirus in Mexico, which has already caused the first death in the country. Get the latest news about the Covid-19 in Mexico here.

OnaCoronavirus Mexico. Breaking news on March 19. (Octavio Hoyos)

DIGITAL MILLENNIUM, PEDRO DOMÍNGUEZ, ABRAHAM JIMÉNEZ, ESTRELLA ÁLVAREZ, ALMA PAOLA WONG AND JOCELYN ESTRADA

Mexico City / 03/19/2020 22:55:33

The increase in the spread of coronavirus in Mexico has put authorities and citizens on alert, mainly after the first person killed by the disease was reported. In addition, state and municipal governments tighten preventive measures to prevent contagion, while the cancellation and suspension of events and mass meetings in the country continue to limit the spread of the virus in Mexico.

Until the cut made by the Ministry of Health this Thursday, March 19 at 7:00 p.m., 164 confirmed cases of Covid-19 are reported in the country, as well as 448 cases under analysis and 921 discarded. With these figures, there was an increase of 46 new cases compared to the previous day, in which 118 cases were reported.

Follow in MILENIO the coverage minute by minute with the latest news about the coronavirus in Mexico today Thursday March 19:

On March 19, the day with the most Covid-19 case reports in Mexico

The Ministry of Health reported that March 19 is the date with the most reports of coronaviruses since the first positive case of Covid-19 was presented on February 28.

On the last day, positive diagnoses increased 39 percent compared to the 118 cases that the health authorities reported yesterday.

Read the full note here

Conade closes facilities and suspends activities for Covid-19

The Conade, hand in hand with the National Sports Federations, agreed to close its different centers, such as the National School of Sports Trainers (ENED), the Mexican Paralympic Center (CEPAMEX), the National Center for the Development of Sports Talents and High Performance ( CNAR), as well as the sports facilities located in Villas Tlalpan. This measure was taken as prevention against the world problems caused by the coronavirus.

Given this, it was also determined that athletes will be sent directly to their homes, however they will continue training as far as possible.

Read the full note here

Map of the coronavirus in Mexico; cases by state

As the days go by, confirmed coronavirus cases in Mexico have been increasing and so far, 25 states have reported at least one contagion.

The most affected entities are Mexico City, Nuevo León, Jalisco, Yucatán and Puebla.

Read the full note here

We recommend you:

Answer to the most frequently asked questions about the Covid-19

Covid-19 coronavirus symptoms

Health Council decrees Covid-19 as a serious illness

The General Health Council determined that Covid-19 will be treated in Mexico as a serious disease of priority attention, so a whole process of care by the Ministry of Health will be detonated in the coming days.

In an interview, the national coordinator of Civil Protection, David León, assured that it was the central agreement reached during the meeting led by the Secretary of Health, Jorge Alcocer. "It is classified as a serious disease and will detonate a process in the health sector, it is the only thing," he said when he left the National Palace.

Read the full note here

Covid-19 test, open to private companies that meet standards: López-Gatell

The undersecretary of Prevention and Promotion to the Health, Hugo López-Gatell, indicated in a press conference that the tests to diagnose coronavirus are open for private laboratories that meet the standards required to perform them.

"There is no provision to prohibit the diagnosis made by private institutions or organizations. The Ministry of Health and the government of the republic are not preventing private diagnostic companies or hospitals from carrying out the test," he said.

Read the full note here

López-Gatell calls to stay home against Covid-19

The Undersecretary of Health, Hugo López-Gatell, made a call to avoid leaving the home during the coronavirus epidemic.

"Stay home! Stay home until this epidemic passes!" Asked the official.

He invited Mexicans to stay home except for essential activities that cannot be postponed.

They report death of a patient suspected of having coronavirus; He is a 74-year-old man who traveled to the United States.

The general director of Epidemiology, José Luis Alomía Zegarra, reported that a 74-year-old man who was a suspected case of Covid-19 died. The deceased suffered from hypertension for 15 years and had traveled to the United States. In the next few hours it will be confirmed if he was a carrier of the virus.

Read the full note here.

There are 164 confirmed cases and 448 suspected cases

The federal Ministry of Health announced in the daily report at 7 pm that there are 164 confirmed cases in Mexico, in addition to 448 suspects and 921 negative cases.

Mexican Ambassador to the United States could have Covid-19

Martha Bárcena, the Mexican ambassador to the United States, [AMLO's wife's aunt] reported through her Twitter account that she underwent a coronavirus test on Thursday. She took this measure since he was in contact with the Republican congressman, Mario Díaz-Balart, who tested positive for the disease.

Read the full note here.

In Baja California, they confirm third case of coronavirus

The Baja California Ministry of Health confirmed a third case of Covid-19. According to the secretary, Alonso Óscar Pérez Rico, it is an imported case.

Read the full note here.

Ebrard asks Pompeo to keep the border on trade and work open

The Secretary of Foreign Relations, Marcelo Ebrard, announced through his Twitter account that he entered into a dialogue on the crisis by Covid-19 with the Secretary of State of the United States, Mike Pompeo.

The Mexican president proposed measures to prevent the coronavirus without paralyzing economic activity, which would keep the borders open to trade and work and found "good disposition" on the part of the United States.

For his part, Pompeo also tweeted about the conversation, saying that "together, we can reduce public health risks and prioritize essential cross-border trade and commerce."

Read the full note here.

Health Council meets due to Covid-19 crisis

The General Health Council met this Thursday in an extraordinary way to determine if the coronavirus pandemic represents a health emergency for Mexico.

In the National Palace, the Secretary of Health, Jorge Alcocer, headed the first meeting of the year for this body with an order of the day, five points."

March 19th. The Mexican government is finally leaping into action. Not too late apparently. Did the federal judge's injunction against the federal govenment's inaction regarding this Worldwide pandemic help?

https://news.yahoo.com/why-did-coronavirus-hit-hard-in-italy-and-spain-some-blame-a-lack-of-social-distancing-and-a-lot-of-social-kissing-090040540.html

"Why did coronavirus hit hard in Italy and Spain? Some blame a lack of social distancing — and a lot of social kissing.

Yahoo NewsMarch 20, 2020, 4:00 AM CDT
f256beb0-657d-11ea-95ff-0e6ebd4ee77e

BARCELONA, Spain — When Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez of Spain, a country now in lockdown with over 17,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19, took the dais in Parliament in Madrid on Wednesday to announce a $220 billion package to help his country’s tourism-powered economy, warning that “the worst is yet to come,” Micol Maria de Vincenti was appalled.

“I thought, ‘What is Sánchez doing in the Parliament — his wife is testing positive, he’s supposed to stay at home!’” says the Italian-born engineer who’s been living in Madrid for decades. Never mind that most parliamentarians had skipped the Wednesday session in the Spanish capital, where on average four people are now dying every hour from COVID-19. “When the leader of Spain is breaking his own quarantine, it’s not setting a good example.

De Vincenti was not the only one taken aback at the seeming lack of urgency about the coronavirus in Spain, where cases began climbing three weeks ago, and where concepts like social distancing didn’t enter the discussion until this week. That recommendation still doesn’t appear in the Health Ministry’s advisories.  

A young couple kiss in Barcelona on Thursday. (José Colon for Yahoo News)
A young couple kiss in Barcelona on Thursday. (José Colon for Yahoo News)

The World Health Organization now considers Spain an epicenter of coronavirus transmission, along with Italy, which has recorded more than 41,000 cases, more than any other country except China. Spain is on track to surpass Iran as the country with the third-most cases within days.

And the very qualities that make both Spain and Italy so beloved by tourists — the laid-back attitudes, the warm cheek-kissing greetings,..."

In Mexico the Mexicans do the exact same thing. Here we changed that greeting to elbow bumps a month ago.

"Basically, for the time being, pretend you’re a British parent and everyone else in the world is your child: keep as much distance as you can, avoid physical contact at all costs, and if any one of them tries to give you a hug, reject it."
—John Oliver

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, mudgirl said:

If it wasn't dangerous, I'd kiss that judge. Thank goodness. Obrador has been absurd and totally irresponsible in his reactions to this.

https://news.yahoo.com/mexican-president-passes-coronavirus-buck-175325984.html

"Mexican president passes coronavirus buck to allies, rivals, business

By Dave Graham and Drazen Jorgic

Reuters March 21, 2020, 12:53 PM 

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - As Mexico scrambles to contain the coronavirus outbreak, many initiatives aimed at tempering the threat have come not from the president, but lesser officials, businesses and ordinary people.

Mexico's peso has plunged to record lows against the dollar and analysts expect the economy to suffer a major hit.

President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador says there is no cause for alarm, and is continuing to hold regular public rallies around Mexico. He argues the country must keep going to limit damage to the economy lest it hurt the poor and the elderly.

"If I was worried, if things were out of control, I would tell you, because I always tell the truth," he said on Friday in a video posted from his seat on a plane as he prepared to take off for a weekend tour. "But that's not how things are."

"Others are taking precautions anyway."

"It bothers me a lot when I hear the president," said Alfaro, 35, who fears for his elderly mother. "I can understand worries about the economy and (the poor), but if you're putting many people at risk, it's something that's also bad for the people.""

6 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

https://news.yahoo.com/mexican-president-passes-coronavirus-buck-175325984.html

"Mexican president passes coronavirus buck to allies, rivals, business

By Dave Graham and Drazen Jorgic

Reuters March 21, 2020, 12:53 PM 

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - As Mexico scrambles to contain the coronavirus outbreak, many initiatives aimed at tempering the threat have come not from the president, but lesser officials, businesses and ordinary people.

Mexico's peso has plunged to record lows against the dollar and analysts expect the economy to suffer a major hit.

President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador says there is no cause for alarm, and is continuing to hold regular public rallies around Mexico. He argues the country must keep going to limit damage to the economy lest it hurt the poor and the elderly.

"If I was worried, if things were out of control, I would tell you, because I always tell the truth," he said on Friday in a video posted from his seat on a plane as he prepared to take off for a weekend tour. "But that's not how things are."

"Others are taking precautions anyway."

"It bothers me a lot when I hear the president," said Alfaro, 35, who fears for his elderly mother. "I can understand worries about the economy and (the poor), but if you're putting many people at risk, it's something that's also bad for the people.""

So the government will promise the judge what it's going to do.

I would like $1.00 for every promise a politician/government made and broke, I could buy a jet and be flown  to a private island for a few years.

To quote J. Ridens on Aug 16, 1681, "Promises are like pie crusts, made to be broken."

IMO, when a vaccine/cure comes to Mexico, those w/money and political power will be first to get it. Then the private hospitals, that will charge Gringo prices, then the poor.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Look Eric, my post did relate to the OP as far as I am concerned, and I did change the wording.  He is taking charge not at all.  There are millions of poverty stricken Mexicans that will die because of his leadership.  Perhaps it will be you or me.  I have no need to garner personal attention.  That is how I feel,  along with most of the other posts.  Do not get holier than thou.  This pandemic is no joke, and what is needed is a strong leader that takes this problem seriously.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mrs. Rupert said:

Look Eric, my post did relate to the OP as far as I am concerned, and I did change the wording.  He is taking charge not at all.  There are millions of poverty stricken Mexicans that will die because of his leadership.  Perhaps it will be you or me.  I have no need to garner personal attention.  That is how I feel,  along with most of the other posts.  Do not get holier than thou.  This pandemic is no joke, and what is needed is a strong leader that takes this problem seriously.  

On another thread the Big Kahuna told people, including me, to post only what he finds acceptable and now we have the Grand Poobah telling you to post only what he finds acceptable. Why all of a sudden this censorship?