Chapala.com Webboard

Chloroquine lakeside?

ibarra

These medications are NOT APPROVED for Coronavirus but there are studies underway. I would wait for the studies since how would you know what dosage to take, how frequently or for how long. It would be a crap shoot without that information known and you may do yourself more harm than good. There are also side effects to both medications AND interference with other meds that you may be taking.

Chloroquine:

https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682318.html

Hydroxychloroquine:

https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a601240.html

• Thanks 1

In preparation for wanderjahr in 1976, my pharmacologist Dad put me on a proper course of anti-malarial Chloroquine in preparation for India and southeast Asia (and Bangkok was the worst, with maybe 20 species of mosquito, of course not all vectors for malaria).  He had contracted malaria during WWII in Spain, and knew it was no fiesta.  As I recall, the large pills referred to above had to be taken for some weeks in advance to bestow some limited resistance to the disease, the mode of action unknown to me.  This prophylactic treatment has probably evolved or been superseded by now... See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroquine

Chloroquine is more dangerous than hydroxyquine, which is used for treatment of arthritis and other conditions. But it also has side effects and contraindications.

I took hydroxyquine for a few months and had soreness in my mouth and teeth. My doctor changed me over to another drug. However my wife has been talking it for several years without problems.

If necessary I could tolerate it for the seven to ten days needed to treat the virus.

Zinc supplements are a part of the equation. You can start on those as a possible prophylactic. I take it with tonic water (with some gin of course) which contains a small amount of quinine. Maybe this will help keep the bogeyman away.

• Like 1

People this is a TREATMENT not a preventative. It MIGHT work after you have contracted the virus. It is currently being tested. It is plentiful worldwide IF it is given to those who actually have the virus. This drug, or one of the other possible treatments currently being tested, could be a real game changer in the spread of the virus and the world-wide consequences of the pandemic.

If all the little center-of-the-universe people stock up on it, there may not be enough to treat the people who it might actually help. People could die. We don't have enough room for your little personal universes, you are just going to have to join ours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Apparently the French study used a combination of hydroxychloroquine and another common drug to get near 100 percent clearing of the virus in six days.

There's also apparently a Japanese manufactured drug that has shown serious promise as well.

A lot of very talented people are working on this.  Let's stay positive and keep the focus on minimizing risk and helping our Mexican neighbors stay afloat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It is so scary to see you all talking about hydroxycloroquine. It may cause a run on the drug that is required for many people with rheumatoid and other nasty arthritises other than osteo. They won't be able to buy the drug they need to keep functioning. The brand name is expensive and the generic is almost impossible to find even now. Please stop this thread.

53 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I prefer the decision be made by the medical and scientific community.

On how to think? I was not implying that one decide to medicate themselves but to make an informed decision regarding the potential efficacy. The links are to information from the scientific and medical community.

Well, I bought a box of Hidroxicloroquina {please don't ask where} the med has only been around for about 70 years so I think it is a proven med.  I read the side affects one is anorexia. "only in my dreams" Ha!. If you listen and read warnings  of any medication it scares you to death. I will only use if necessary. Expire date late 2022. 

I really really hope that when you find you don't need it for the coronavirus, you will give it to someone who has rheumatoid or spondyloarthritis  who requires plaquenil (hydroxycloroquine) to live comfortably and hasn't been able to buy it recently.

• Like 1

The French may have a study but they are not treating people yet wth those drugs., Trump jumped the gun when he announced there was a drug.. as usual he is more dangerous than anything else and no one in their right mind should believe a word of what he twits or says.

In France they are running out obed and there is a triage going on.. people over 80 do not get treated then people over 70 then people over 60..  so much for that great medecine n the study, t sure it is not used yet.

• Like 1