Chapala.com Webboard

Why is there a limitation on the number of emoticons that can be used in a day?

Ferret

There have been some outstanding posts lately that I have had to reply to because I'm out of the "thingies". I feel like I'm using up valuable bandwidth responding to a post just to say "thank you". Just curious.

• Like 1

I think there might be a glitch somewhere. I don’t think I have been using more “thingies” than usual but I just got told I have used my allotment for “today.” Does anyone know the number we are allowed or what time span is covered by “today”? It can not be from midnight to midnight because no way did I use up my thingie supply this morning. 

25 minutes ago, Xena said:

I think there might be a glitch somewhere. I don’t think I have been using more “thingies” than usual but I just got told I have used my allotment for “today.” Does anyone know the number we are allowed or what time span is covered by “today”? It can not be from midnight to midnight because no way did I use up my thingie supply this morning. 

I barely used my thingies and was cut off again today. 2 days in a row a dearth of thingies-jaja!

• Haha 1

JJ ₾₿℅JJJ↖ΩΩ Hey this is getting hard to do

JJJ

Whats westhis goes really well

I aqwertyuiop[]\

';lkjhgfdsazxcvbnm,./

For what it is worth my Telmex Infinitum is down and as I was about to reboot my infinitum router, I noticed a message on my Apple Watch 4 stating that I was in an area where my Telmex was down and not to report same because they already knew.

Thank goodness I have a backup once called the cable company now called issi or izzi or something. Oh well, at least it let's me send stupid messages like Whats 

I'm allowed only 1200 of these characters per hour. But then I have to cheat a little, by making copies.

These things are stupid anyway!!! Just a way to avoid common English language. My biggest beef nowadays is young folks using text instead of THE PHONE...one of the best inventions of mankind, where you can use your own voice including inflection and drama has been reduced to 28 characters and those thingies...how sad!!!

• Sad 4

13 hours ago, gringohombre said:

These things are stupid anyway!!! Just a way to avoid common English language. My biggest beef nowadays is young folks using text instead of THE PHONE...one of the best inventions of mankind, where you can use your own voice including inflection and drama has been reduced to 28 characters and those thingies...how sad!!!

I see the past and future are at conflict here 

• Like 1

Looks like I have used my quota of 'reactions' today but I'll give that one a 'laugh'.

Another thing that I don't understand is the limit to the 'timing' on using the search function. If I search for something and don't get exactly what I was looking for and search again.... maybe 30 seconds later.... I get back an admonishment that I should wait 'x seconds' between searches. Maybe that is to keep down a Bot from doing it or something, but I think their criteria (timeframe) needs to change/shorten. Not being able to do a search 30 seconds after doing one is hardly 'Bot territory'.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 9:16 AM, Ferret said:

There have been some outstanding posts lately that I have had to reply to because I'm out of the "thingies". I feel like I'm using up valuable bandwidth responding to a post just to say "thank you". Just curious.

I don't think it's my imagination that the thingy thing may have been resolved because I used a bunch in the last couple of days and didn't get a limitation message.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2020 at 2:00 PM, RickS said:

Looks like I have used my quota of 'reactions' today but I'll give that one a 'laugh'.

Another thing that I don't understand is the limit to the 'timing' on using the search function. If I search for something and don't get exactly what I was looking for and search again.... maybe 30 seconds later.... I get back an admonishment that I should wait 'x seconds' between searches. Maybe that is to keep down a Bot from doing it or something, but I think their criteria (timeframe) needs to change/shorten. Not being able to do a search 30 seconds after doing one is hardly 'Bot territory'.

It's just an old default that is built into most chatboard software... on very busy boards (this board is SO not busy compared to many hobby and politico types), it's easy for the servers to get flooded when a buncha people start searching. My eBook site, for example, has probably millions of topics and threads, and it is very difficult to search for and find anything relevant, so you tend to change the search question many times in a row until you get some answers (or give up). It can take a whole system down.

I'm guessing our own emoticons have a default limit, as well. This default was set years ago by various chat softwares to prevent people from abusing them, by peppering hate (or like) to individual posters. Again, wouldn't really apply here, but if it is not something the main Moderator is not particularly interested in, he probably wouldn't even know it's there.

Both these limitations are also in place to prevent bots from sabotaging a site by overloading the servers with requests.

• Thanks 1