Chapala.com Webboard

Extremely vulnerable?

Yes I am a lot  more than most. Lupe my massage therapist has lost 8 clients this week. All his clients are expats. He will not lose me. Our housekeeper will not be cut off nor am I Going to stop the construction on our house. We are going to take precautions as best we can, in any event. We hardly ate in restaurants and not much time at Soriana and Walmart  before this. Will keep our shopping to the mercado and  small stores as much as possible.

• Like 3

I just went to several different locations today (bank, Soriana, etc). Yes, I washed face and hands up returning home. I think HappyJillin has It right and I will continue to shop/bank/get my massage as long as it's possible. Either this is the bug to end all bugs, or it's an overreaction. Either way, I'm not qualified to make that determination, so I'll continue to live as normally as possible until told otherwise.

23 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Yes I am a lot  more than most. Lupe my massage therapist has lost 8 clients this week. All his clients are expats. He will not lose me. Our housekeeper will not be cut off nor am I Going to stop the construction on our house. We are going to take precautions as best we can, in any event. We hardly ate in restaurants and not much time at Soriana and Walmart  before this. Will keep our shopping to the mercado and  small stores as much as possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tingting said:

I just went to several different locations today (bank, Soriana, etc). Yes, I washed face and hands up returning home. I think HappyJillin has It right and I will continue to shop/bank/get my massage as long as it's possible. Either this is the bug to end all bugs, or it's an overreaction. Either way, I'm not qualified to make that determination, so I'll continue to live as normally as possible until told otherwise.

I am telling you otherwise,

since you have not made it your business to stay informed

on the latest information on a world wide pandemic.

Everyone on the planet has been asked to minimize being around other people

for 15 days-starting now.  

This will curb the spread.

sigh.  Patti

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

The purpose of limiting everyone's contact with others is Not to save your life. It is to give doctors and hospitals a chance to save the lives of those elderly that are fighting for their lives. Limiting your activity prevents the spread(at least lowers it) so doctors and hospitals do not become swamped and can concentrate their time and resources on the endangered elderly. Think of it as doing something to help save lives of older people. That should make you feel special.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Tingting said:

Madrid has drones with loudspeakers flying everywhere warning people to stay home. They fine people out without a printout letter they need to exit $138.00 Euros except when local shopping. Videos show the main streets with a few people where these same streets had thousands. All places to eat and drink are closed except some allowed to deliver prepared food. All events, government assemblies and schools are closed. All public and most private facilities are closed. Hospitals and clinics restrict people from  entering etc. They sanitize all busses, subway trains, trains and their stations daily for about 1 month now. Still the virus is spreading as per the chart posted by Mainecoons. You don't get it obviously!

89983036_10158563051587345_3580157838841872384_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

Google Translation:

"Coronavirus in Spain: breaking news | The ECB launches an emergency plan against the pandemic of $750,000 million. [ECB - European Central Bank]

There are already 200,000 cases worldwide and more than 8,000 deaths from coronavirus. The WHO insists that, although it is a more dangerous disease for older people, "there are cases of healthy young people who have suffered serious complications", so "we all have to avoid infection".

ANA CARRASCO | MARIFÉ VELASCO | ESTHER MUCIENTES | MADRID 03/19/2020 02:45

Spain now has 598 deaths and almost 14,000 infected by coronavirus. Italy today reached the record of 475 deaths in 24 hours. In the world there are already 8,000 dead and 200,000 infected. The World Health Organization insists that although it is a more dangerous disease for older people, "there are cases of healthy young people who have suffered serious complications", so "we all have to avoid infection".

CORONAVIRUS DATA IN SPAIN

Total figures: 13,801 diagnosed cases, 598 deaths

5,637 in Madrid (390 dead) 2702 in Catalonia (55 dead) 973 in the Basque Country (40 dead) 726 in the Valencian Community (22 dead) 859 in Andalusia (19 dead) 675 in Castilla-La Mancha (28 dead) 668 in Castilla y León (22 dead) 419 in La Rioja (5 dead) 368 in Navarra (3 dead) 341 in Galicia (3 dead) 242 in Asturias (1 dead) 226 in Aragon (13 dead) 194 in Extremadura (6 dead) 220 in the Canary Islands (3 dead) 112 in the Balearic Islands (1 dead) 168 in Murcia 68 in Cantabria (1 dead) 20 in Melilla1 in Ceuta 1,081 people have been cured

Source: Ministry of Health and regional councils."

3980 more confirmed cases in Spain in 4 days.

The Mexican government isn't equiped to deal with anything like the Spanish government is doing and has been doing.

The common theme is both governments didn't leap into action quick enough and now they are paying the price in Spain and Mexico will be paying the price for having a lackadaisical attitude. Mexico still isn't leaping into action.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tingting said:

Either way, I'm not qualified to make that determination, so I'll continue to live as normally as possible until told otherwise.

You have been told otherwise. By all the govts and health officials of all the countries that are actually now taking this seriously. You "living life as normally as possible" puts others in danger. That isn't something anyone has a right to do.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

No, sorry, but I have a right to get food, pay bills, etc. I don't get close to others and won't hug/shake hands/etc, but I also am going to continue maintaining as normal life as possible.  If you are staying indoors/self-quarantined, then you have nothing to fear from my being outside. FWIW, I AM following the guidelines, such as they are, and will continue to do so to the best of my ability. For those of you who chose otherwise, great, but life goes on in spite of the world's latest catastrophe and work has to be done, families fed, period. 

Oh, and not only is " living life as normally AS POSSIBLE" my right, but how presumptuous of you to assume that I am not keeping myself up-to-date on world events. It's called having an opposing/different opinion and while I don't agree with your attitude, I respect your right to have it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tingting said:

No, sorry, but I have a right to get food, pay bills, etc. I don't get close to others and won't hug/shake hands/etc, but I also am going to continue maintaining as normal life as possible.  If you are staying indoors/self-quarantined, then you have nothing to fear from my being outside. FWIW, I AM following the guidelines, such as they are, and will continue to do so to the best of my ability. For those of you who chose otherwise, great, but life goes on in spite of the world's latest catastrophe and work has to be done, families fed, period. 

Oh, and not only is " living life as normally AS POSSIBLE" my right, but how presumptuous of you to assume that I am not keeping myself up-to-date on world events. It's called having an opposing/different opinion and while I don't agree with your attitude, I respect your right to have it. 

Careful you are leaving yourself open to personal attack here by the hysteria mongers.

Your post is a dose of common sense, badly needed in this group.  Thank you.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Tingting said:

Agree 100%.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Tingting said:

Ran out of like thingies to hand out so  how does "wayda go!" sound! I started this thread to help people deal with it around here in a rational and positive way and some of you have chosen to make this thread like all the rest of nothing but doom and gloom. And we all pretty much know what's going on in the whole world. All the news is about it and nothing but, even when I go to try and get a hockey fix on my team's site and the NHL site. After 6 1/2 weeks of not being able to leave the house because of a nasty addition to my other  medical problems I  may go to the lumber store so that I  can have a project to do. If you're going to self impose house arrest on yourself,go ahead, I can tell you it ain't pleasant and I  bet you won't stick to it ,in any event you holier than though people especially.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s something a friend sent to me, offering a different perspective.  I think it’s worthy of sharing.  Be well and safe everyone....

It could be that the ships in Italy's ports will be empty for the next time, ... but it may also be that dolphins and other marine life can finally get their natural habitat back. Dolphins are spotted in Italy's ports, the fish are swimming in Venice's canals again!

It could be that people feel locked in their houses and apartments, ... but it can also be that they finally sing together again, help each other and experience a sense of community again for a long time. People sing together !!!

It may be that the restriction of air traffic means deprivation of liberty and professional restrictions for many ... but it may also be that the earth breathes a sigh of relief, the sky gains color and children in China for the first time in their lives see the blue sky. Look at the sky today, how calm and blue it has become!

Closing kindergartens and schools could be an immense challenge for many parents, ... but it may also be that many children have long had the chance to finally get creative, act more self-determined and slow down . And parents can also get to know their children on a new level.

It could be that our economy is suffering tremendous damage ... but it may also be that we are finally realizing what is really important in our lives and that constant growth is an absurd idea of the consumer society. We have become puppets of the economy. It was time to feel how little we actually need.

It might be overwhelming in some way, ... but it may also be that you feel that this crisis is a chance for a long overdue change,

- that lets the earth breathe

- brings the children into contact with long-forgotten values,

- enormously slowed down our society,

- can be the hour of birth for a new form of togetherness,

- reduced the mountains of garbage at least once for the next few weeks,

- and shows us how quickly the earth is ready to start its regeneration if we humans take it into account and let it breathe again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Floradude said:

Please remove this and post it on the doom thread. We don't need it here.

3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Please remove this and post it on the doom thread. We don't need it here.

I applaud your attempt at minimalizing the current reality of living in Mexico but the guy in "total" charge here is out of touch with todays and tomorrows reality regarding a very real danger to you and myself. Don't expect any help from him. Take your own life and protect it as best as you know how. I certainly will.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/18/mexico-is-not-ready-coronavirus-just-look-amlos-behavior/

"There’s an old joke in Mexico: a man is driving on the wrong side of a crowded freeway. Cars swerve, some spin out of control; others barely manage to avoid a collision. It’s utter chaos. The man keeps driving, undeterred by the reality around him. He turns on the radio and an alarmed newscaster comes on. “Careful, there’s a crazy man driving on the wrong side of the road!” The driver frowns, looks around and remarks out loud: “Just one? There are thousands!”

Mexico’s president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, has been driving on the wrong side of the road during the coronavirus crisis. At first, López Obrador followed the Trumpian playbook of denial and finger pointing. Two weeks ago, when the virulence of the disease was already apparent, he suggested Mexicans should carry on hugging each other, social distancing be damned. “There are those who say we should stop hugging because of coronavirus,” he said. “But we should hug. Nothing’s going to happen.” A few days later he went after his “conservative” opponents. “They want us to get infected,” he said. “ That’s what they want so they can blame me for everything.” On Sunday, López Obrador turned even more defiant. “Pandemics and other unfortunate events won’t do anything to us,” he argued in the southern state of Guerrero, one of the poorest in the country.

It truly is, and not only because of the example he is setting at a time in which the exact opposite is required. In his brazen contempt of precautionary measures in the face of a severe pandemic, Mexico’s president is putting himself and the country in danger. López Obrador is 66. He suffered a stroke seven years ago. He is the very definition of a person facing increased risk of developing a serious illness if infected. During China’s harrowing experience with the virus, more than 13 percent of senior citizens with a history of cardiovascular disease have died. Why, then, does López Obrador insist on tempting fate?"

Let's don't turn this thread into another political BS session.  No one's mind will be changed.  What you posted is a very good example of biased opinion and charged semantics something for which that particular source is famous.  Happy's comment was not directed at you.  Move on.

• Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

I applaud your attempt at minimalizing the current reality of living in Mexico but the guy in "total" charge here is out of touch with todays and tomorrows reality regarding a very real danger to you and myself. Don't expect any help from him. Take your own life and protect it as best as you know how. I certainly will.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/18/mexico-is-not-ready-coronavirus-just-look-amlos-behavior/

"There’s an old joke in Mexico: a man is driving on the wrong side of a crowded freeway. Cars swerve, some spin out of control; others barely manage to avoid a collision. It’s utter chaos. The man keeps driving, undeterred by the reality around him. He turns on the radio and an alarmed newscaster comes on. “Careful, there’s a crazy man driving on the wrong side of the road!” The driver frowns, looks around and remarks out loud: “Just one? There are thousands!”

Mexico’s president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, has been driving on the wrong side of the road during the coronavirus crisis. At first, López Obrador followed the Trumpian playbook of denial and finger pointing. Two weeks ago, when the virulence of the disease was already apparent, he suggested Mexicans should carry on hugging each other, social distancing be damned. “There are those who say we should stop hugging because of coronavirus,” he said. “But we should hug. Nothing’s going to happen.” A few days later he went after his “conservative” opponents. “They want us to get infected,” he said. “ That’s what they want so they can blame me for everything.” On Sunday, López Obrador turned even more defiant. “Pandemics and other unfortunate events won’t do anything to us,” he argued in the southern state of Guerrero, one of the poorest in the country.

It truly is, and not only because of the example he is setting at a time in which the exact opposite is required. In his brazen contempt of precautionary measures in the face of a severe pandemic, Mexico’s president is putting himself and the country in danger. López Obrador is 66. He suffered a stroke seven years ago. He is the very definition of a person facing increased risk of developing a serious illness if infected. During China’s harrowing experience with the virus, more than 13 percent of senior citizens with a history of cardiovascular disease have died. Why, then, does López Obrador insist on tempting fate?"

I didn't minimalize[sic] anything. Not once have I or  some other intelligent  people in this thread with a view point other than yours and a couple of others  have done so. I  don't need you shoving your stough down  my throat when you don't even live here. My OP is about here and guess what I don't need your input as I have all sorts of media available to me and relatives in Europe and the UK. You're pizzed off because one of the mods here shut down another thread which you were really thriving on. Guess you want to get this one shut too.

6 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

I didn't minimalize[sic] anything. Not once have I or  some other intelligent  people in this thread with a view point other than yours and a couple of others  have done so. I  don't need you shoving your stough down  my throat when you don't even live here. My OP is about here and guess what I don't need your input as I have all sorts of media available to me and relatives in Europe and the UK. You're pizzed off because one of the mods here shut down another thread which you were really thriving on. Guess you want to get this one shut too.

That thread I posted one comment on is hardly thriving on that discussion. You might call posting information I find important to the subject and my opinion forcing you to accept it as hardball but it is just opinion and information nothing to get yourself in a knot about and please don't accuse me of trying to shut down a thread you started. That is not true.

1 minute ago, AlanMexicali said:

That thread I posted one comment on is hardly thriving on that discussion. You might call posting information I find important to the subject and my opinion forcing you to accept it as hardball but it is just opinion and information nothing to get yourself in a knot about and please don't accuse me of trying to shut down a thread you started. That is not true.

You have posted your tripe more than once here .  What part of, we all can read and in my case communicate with family in Europe, do you not comprehend[?] and yes you're probably going to have this thread closed with your regurgitations[sic] from sources that we all have access to if we wish. No local boards where you live that would welcome you? I' m going outside now to view the wonderful work being done on mi casa and I promise I won't even air kiss the workers but will hand then cold cerveza. That should make you ecstatic-eh!

It not about vulnerability, it is also some people are completely reckless. It is like choosing to ride a motorcycle without a helmet and protective clothing, versus a full face premium helmet and leather skid gear. Peter Pudpuller is an example of the first type, MC is an example of the second type.