Chapala.com Webboard

Tony's - no more chances

Tingting

What happened? Tony's was once a great, consistent restaurant, even with the changes after he left for his other place. For a while, the food improved, portions were reasonable and the more upmarket touches were appreciated. Then, things started rolling down hill. Hubby was ready to throw in the towel a couple of visits ago when his ribs had been overcooked, cut apart, and downsized to the point of nearly insulting the diner (and when you compare the size, quality and taste to Adelita's, it's even more apparent how bad it's gotten). Still, we went back a few more times, hoping that maybe it was just a bad run. Not anymore. Today was it for us. I won't even get into the specifics of the precautions taken against the virus (but there were a lot of contradictions in how things were handled) other than to say it was nice that they tried. The restaurant was empty. The waiter seats us, gets our drink order and comes back with drinks and 2 dishes for the appetizers (usually chips, sauces and carrots & onions in vinegar). No appetizers, so we sat with empty plates in front of us. It took over 25 minutes for our food to appear...and the restaurant still was empty except for the staff and us. Hubby had fried shrimp with blue cheese. I had garlic fish. My fish was one step away from inedible. It was drowning in oil...so much so that it left me nauseous. The bottom half was so overcooked that I thought the skin had been left on. No, the cook had fried the hell out of one side and considered it done. So, the bottom was a potato chip consistency and the top was barely warm. It was cooked. Period.  I ate it because, well, I paid for it. Dumb, I know. My sides were green beans and refried beans. The refried beans were fine...not much you can do to screw those up, but the green beans were another story. They were barely cooked, not very warm, and mixed with way too many chopped almonds and black seeds (sesame?). Hubby's shrimp was fine, but the blue cheese was a little bowl, condiment size, of blue cheese that was barely enough for 3-4shrimp, much less a full plate. He also had the 2x beans and the same problems.

I hope that by writing this that someone at Tony's takes note and takes it seriously because I honestly loved the place and hate what I see happening.

My mom loved the coconut shrimp there. But they never saw fit to bring enough of the sauce for the plateful. Then they started scorching the coating. When Tony opened his new place, things were much better out there. But sadly, that has closed.

I eat worse-than-average food, too, because I ordered it and because by the time it arrives I'm usually pretty hungry. I am not fond of the confrontation required to argue with everyone involved. I have done so at numerous restaurants here, concerning food quality, delivery, and service, and it has not helped one iota.

• Like 4

. When Tony opened his new place, things were much better out there. But sadly, that has closed.

CG, went out to visita de lago GOLF last Saturday. Sad to see Tony’s was closed. Then driving a bit farther, I see Tony has opened another restaurant on the other side of the highway. He was out front on the BBQ. 👍

As all have mentioned...A downward spiral since big Tony left and the SIL took over and figured how run a successful restaurant into a garbage pit..Everything about the place is terrible..Should be closed to the public as a favor to humans.. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tomas said:

As all have mentioned...A downward spiral since big Tony left and the SIL took over and figured how run a successful restaurant into a garbage pit..Everything about the place is terrible..Should be closed to the public as a favor to humans.. 

😂

12 hours ago, mkshawn said:

Tony's new venture is in San Nicolás de Ibarra on the mountain side of the road to the golf club. 5 to 6 steps at the front entrance, I can not recall if there is a ramp. Opened about a month ago?

For your information, Tony's Campestre in San nicolas was closed last saturday. There is not and there won't be another Tony's for now.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Then that is good to know. Thank you. Always good to explain the source when making statements like that, I find.

I’ll run out again Saturday. He was all set up even with a sign. I’ll take a picture. 🤔

Bad news, good news. Just talked to Jr. He closed Sat. Good news, I wasn't hallucinating .