Chapala.com Webboard

Where Can We Mail our U.S. Tax Returns in Ajijic

JKL

We had planned a regular trip to Texas in the next couple of weeks, and we planned on carrying our U.S. tax return forms with us to put in the mail after we cross the border.  Now we're having second thoughts about going at all.  Is there a service that actually takes the mail across the border and places it in U.S. mail?  We are not comfortable using a third party.

I have used both Sol y Luna and HandyMail to take mail north.  They charge but not a huge amount.  But beware, I stopped using HandyMail because they will inspect your unsealed envelope to see if there is a check in it.  If there is, they will make you pay Aduana fees.  Sol y Luna has never asked me if there is a check in an envelope or asked me to bring it to them unsealed.  LCS used to offer free mail north for members only; however I got an email from them today and while the grounds will remain open it sounded as if most activities will be curtailed.  Not sure if sending mail is one of them.

You may also want to consider e-File; even if you owe $$ you can have it sent directly from bank (no need to include check with tax return).  If it's a refund, IRS will direct deposit it.

Some e-File services are free if your income is under $69,000.  However anyone regardless of income can use the Free File option found here.  I have used it in years when we owed and those when we got refunds, flawlessly.  

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

• Thanks 1

Ditto to the above, just use a different program from H&R Block. 

P.S.  Today Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin announced that individuals and corporations can delay their tax payments for 90 days due to the coronavirus pandemic. Individuals can defer up to $1 million in payments for 90 days from the April 15 deadline.

8 minutes ago, mattoleriver said:

Has "Tax Day" just been moved back 90 days or is there an extension form to be filed?

You can delay paying taxes if you owe them — but you still have to file on time
The Trump administration just announced $300 billion in tax deferrals as part of its coronavirus response.

By Nicole Narea@nicolenarea  Mar 17, 2020, 2:10pm EDT  https://www.vox.com/2020/3/17/21183623/tax-deadline-coronavirus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To clarify my original post.  We  had planned to put our Turbo Tax return in U.S. Mail.  However, we have changed plans due to Corona Virus and will not be going north in time to mail taxes.  I want to e-file and don't know how to change my original order to e-filing instead.  Any help would be appreciated.  

P.S.  We owed money (as usual!!!) and we've already paid what we owe through Treasury Direct.  Now all I want to know how to do is to have Turbo Tax e-file them for me.  I had originally just printed them out since I was going to use U.S. mailing system instead. 

HELP!

3 hours ago, JKL said:

To clarify my original post.  We  had planned to put our Turbo Tax return in U.S. Mail.  However, we have changed plans due to Corona Virus and will not be going north in time to mail taxes.  I want to e-file and don't know how to change my original order to e-filing instead.  Any help would be appreciated.  

P.S.  We owed money (as usual!!!) and we've already paid what we owe through Treasury Direct.  Now all I want to know how to do is to have Turbo Tax e-file them for me.  I had originally just printed them out since I was going to use U.S. mailing system instead. 

HELP!

Señor Google es su amigo.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/is-there-any-way-for-me-to-change-to-e-file-after-choosing-the-mailing-option/00/766910

• Like 1