Chapala.com Webboard

Italy is sending the world a warning about covid-19

cookj5

I find it really sad that there is a great deal of helpful information buried under politics and personal attacks. I'm not qualified to make medical judgments about whether or not this is the end of the world, but I'm taking reasonable precautions (as listed in previous postings). Sadly, in this day of instant news/internet, there is a lot of bad wrapped in good intentions. For me, I'm not hiding out because life still goes on. I wish everyone on this board good health and hope that this soon disappears.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, tomgates said:

MC, didn't someone write a book titled "Arguing With $%&/()s"?

Maybe you are thinking of this book, still available on Amazon, "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat :().  He's still a Big$%&/()....though he now wears the Presidential Medal of Freedom, given to him in January by his biggest fan.

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/rush-limbaugh-were-shutting-down-our-country-because-cold-virus

RUSH LIMBAUGH (HOST): We're shutting down our country because of the — the cold virus, which is what coronaviruses are. This is COVID-19, the 19th version of the coronavirus. We're shutting it — can you imagine our enemies watching this? You think the Chinese are not laughing themselves silly over how easy this has been? And it continues. This has been easy.

Can you imagine — Vladimir Putin's sitting over there, “Look, I tried to ruin Donald Trump with this stupid story about he and I colluding to steal the election from Hillary. And I worked with the FBI and I was working with the CIA and I was planting all kinds of stuff, and that went nowhere. And the Chi-Coms run this scam on some sort of virus, and the Americans do this?!”

Tingting, don't worry about it.  Personal attack is SOP for people who can't handle difference of opinion.  Pretty easy to spot those folks on this thread.

We all know what to do here:  Social distancing, sanitation, staying alert.  This too will pass.  In fact it is already winding down in both China and South Korea because they applied these tactics vigorously.  History clearly tells us there's nothing new here despite all the media hysteria and panic buying.

And Bisbee, please knock off the irrelevant politicizing and not so cleverly concealed personal attacks of this thread, thanks.  I haven't read the book, not someone I follow.

10 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

And y'all keep obsessing on the U.S. because you can't get over the last election.  Don't worry about what's going on right under your noses, no.  Venting non stop TDS is much more important.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/16/mexico-is-dangerously-unprepared-for-the-inevitable-wuhan-coronavirus-outbreak/

:D 

How is this not political??  

36 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

How is this not political??  

It was a response to political posting specifically referring to the POTUS as a POS.  I realize this is considered standard language by the TDS crowd but let's see if we can avoid it here.  And your post was totally irrelevant to the discussion and personally directed.  Please knock it off.  You can handle difference of opinion in a civil manner, yes?  If you want to know whether I follow a particular media figure just send me a PM and I'll be glad to answer.

Watching the scene it appears to me we'll have a pretty good idea whose opinions are more on target in a few weeks.  Let's remember that is all this is, a discussion of opinions and nothing more.  At this point it really is totally up in the air even with the positive indications emerging from China and Korea.  Europe is still really bad.

I suggest we return the focus here to where we live, Mexico, and follow closely local developments.

Note I am not moderating this thread.  Complaints if any should be directed to Mod 5.

17 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Mainecoons, you are extremely deluded if you think the US response has been "rapid". A couple weeks ago the POS was saying it was all an overblown hoax created by the Dems to derail the election. Today, in his meeting with US governors, he told them if they needed medical supplies, they should find them themselves. And the madness that is taking place at US airports, where thousands of US citizens were forced to wait for hours, in packed conditions, with zero protection as far as spreading diease, was insane and irresponsible and probably substantially upped the number of cases that will surface. It's too late now for US entry travel bans- that should have been done not only by the US, but worldwide, weeks ago. It's now in the US, there have been deaths, and it's the US residents who are spreading it around, some of them still under the impression that it's some "liberal media hype". 

The airport wait is not new. 5 years ago we changed planes in ATL coming back from Europe and 4 or 5 other planes had landed withing 30 minutes and the customs line was over 3.5 hours in a big room. No water, no sitting, no cameras or cell phones allowed. I just couldn't understand why no cell phones allowed or cameras. 

Actually POTUS speech was designed to put off panic. He was on advice of experts trying to flatten the curve. We won't have necessarily have fewer cases by flattening the curve but will keep the numbers at any one time down to what hospitals and doctors can handle. Some here screamed about the travel bans even from China. This will result in more countries having borders again. Let's hope it results in bringing our "critical items" manufacturing back to the states.  

Where was the CDC in all of this? What did they learn from the swine flu? They learned their mission statement had changed to prioritize research of racism, on gun violence, on obesity. All things with NO medical cure. The CDC needs to focus on disease as it was originally charged with. The reason they were formed was to combat malaria by spraying DDT for mosquitoes. A disease they could actually do something about, not social engineering!

Very interesting information here.  Reinforces the tactic of social distancing. 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/86-of-people-with-coronavirus-are-walking-around-undetected-study-says/

Let's look at the positive side.  We are the beneficiaries of the hard won experience of others.  Four months ago it wasn't at all clear what would slow or stop this problem.  Now it is.  Let's take advantage of the hard lessons learned and all help minimize the problem locally and in Mexico.

In France right now people cannot assemble and cannot leave their house without a reason in writing.. anyone can get stopped on the street and receive a 138 euro fine if they are out without good reasons.. markets are cancelled..They have to line up at the grocery store, one meter from each other  and so on.. They say they will  evaluate the confnement  n 15 days and contnue another 15 days if the number of sick people does not go down, We are far from this type of rules here so look forwards to more people getting sick. By the way people who have 2 homes cannot get to their second home as it is how areas that didnot have any cases of corona vrus got some.. in Italy so everyone is confined to the place they were living at yesterday for the next 2 weeks...

• Like 1