Chapala.com Webboard

Monday Market.....Open Today?

The US market is open and dropping. The Dow Jones is down between 7 and 8 percent as expected. Oh, I bet you are talking about the local food market, and I do not know. I know my favorite pharmacy is closed.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Yes Monday Market open....and mobbed.  Parking nightmare....I gave up!  I normally don't go in High Season but since the Thursday market at Ajijic plaza closed, I was hoping to score some smoked salmon. 

This is a mighty good time to learn to seperate needs wants from needs.

There is a worldwide pandemic and that pandemic is here in our little corner of the world, too. And in spite of warnings that began appearing in January, we now have people crowding together in markets, supermarkets, and restaurants trying to stock up, fill up, all the while pretending all is well.

You are fortunate that parking sucked today. You very well may have dodged a bullet. This week alone among my very small circle of friends two couples returned from extensive travels that involved multiple countries, multiple cruise ships, multiple airlines and airports and still they felt NO NEED TO SELF-QUARANTINE! They have been busy in shops, restaurants, and seeing friends. This is just how ....deluded people can be.

You will live without smoked salmon. I will live without donuts and bread from the bakery. My life is too precious to me and my concern for the wellbeing of others too great to take chances now. It's time to relax at home and wait this out. The option is grim in a community of the most vulnerable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, chapalence said:

There is a worldwide pandemic and that pandemic is here in our little corner of the world, too. And in spite of warnings that began appearing in January, we now have people crowding together in markets, supermarkets, and restaurants trying to stock up, fill up, all the while pretending all is well.

You are fortunate that parking sucked today. You very well may have dodged a bullet. This week alone among my very small circle of friends two couples returned from extensive travels that involved multiple countries, multiple cruise ships, multiple airlines and airports and still they felt NO NEED TO SELF-QUARANTINE! They have been busy in shops, restaurants, and seeing friends. This is just how ....deluded people can be.

You will live without smoked salmon. I will live without donuts and bread from the bakery. My life is too precious to me and my concern for the wellbeing of others too great to take chances now. It's time to relax at home and wait this out. The option is grim in a community of the most vulnerable.

Damn good post!  Exactly what we are saying and doing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Assuming your talking about the Monday market at Sunrise restaurant. I got there this morning about 9:40, plenty of parking. The crowd was about half the size of normal. Several vendors were also missing. Whether this was because of the holiday or the virus I couldn't say.. Heard one vendor say she was going to be taking several weeks off because of the virus.

12 hours ago, chapalence said:

You will live without smoked salmon. 

Smoked salmon is FOOD that is high in valuable nutrients, vitamins and protein.  It keeps well and I can freeze it, too..  Food shopping is a NEED not a want.  

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Food is a need.  Shopping is NOT.  Especially now when you can order home delivery.

I disagree.  Shopping for food, medicine and essentials is necessary.  Even in cities like SFO where they are on "lock-down" one exception is shopping for food, medicine and essentials.  They include not only groceries, pharmacies, but also hardware stores, banks, laundries.  As I said before, everyone finds their own comfort zone.  https://sf.gov/stay-home-except-essential-needs

But since you mentioned home delivery, what grocery stores, pharmacies and hardware stores (not restaurants) are offering home delivery?

Walmart delivers, most farmacias deliver, many of the restaurant are delivering or doing para llavar.  Don't know of any hardware stores as most things can wait from there.  I saw a couple of hardware stores closed today.  Because we are not on lock-down the stores are jammed with people hording (no carne at Walmart this morning) and long lines of people jammed up for the ATMS.  On lock-down there would be fewer people out.  The tianguis was jammed yesterday and I image so will the Tuesday market.  I'm staying away; I don't want this disease and I don't want to carry it to anyone else.

Has anyone noticed how much "stupid" is going around, fed by either ignorance or faith. Oh, they are synonymous, aren't they?

Yes, the population of expats at Lakeside has a majority of the most vulnerable to Covid 19.  I am also part of that very vulnerable age group, and am quite aware that we have the highest death rate, and that there will be little, or no medical halp or paliative care available. It will not be an easy death.

As such, we have been keeping a very low profile, and have increased our supply of rice, beans and pasta. We are not going out and have cancelled all social events or encounters. 

Those who are not doing similar 'distancing' may be spreading the virus without knowing it, and they may also be contracting it themselves, and not know it for weeks.

All we can hope is that the careless ones vanish first, and quickly, before having time to do more damage.

This is more serious that the governments even dare disclose !!!

Disease > Epidemic > Pandemic > Disorder > Panic > Civil Collapse >

Pestilence > Famine > Massive death rate ............ Recession is already a 100% probability, and depression is sure to follow.  THIS IS SERIOUS and you cannot escape the invisible enemy.

10 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Smoked salmon is FOOD that is high in valuable nutrients, vitamins and protein.  It keeps well and I can freeze it, too..  Food shopping is a NEED not a want.  

FYI -- some salmon coming from Alaska is showing up with radiation in Indigenous communities there. One kid used a geiger counter on fish their family caught and the geiger counter was clicking away. Radiation started showing up a couple of years ago there -- a left over result of the nuclear disaster in Japan. So one might want to eat Atlantic salmon . . .

16 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I But since you mentioned home delivery, what grocery stores, pharmacies and hardware stores (not restaurants) are offering home delivery?

I believe Pancho's delivers as well, but I don't know the delivery area.

I'll admit I went to the Tuesday Market because fresh produce is too important to me. They opened at 9 instead of 10. I got there at 10, found short lines and people not crowding. Some vendors won't be there for awhile, and some will be offering delivery.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MtnMama said:

I believe Pancho's delivers as well, but I don't know the delivery area.

I'll admit I went to the Tuesday Market because fresh produce is too important to me. They opened at 9 instead of 10. I got there at 10, found short lines and people not crowding. Some vendors won't be there for awhile, and some will be offering delivery.

This may be an option for you, https://www.facebook.com/muyarushop/  They have a subscription service for fresh produce/fruits.  

Terrible, terrible FaceBook page. I hope they can clean that up.  They should have their purpose up front, not a bunch of photos. They should be presenting their offerings, prices, phone number,  andemail up front. A SEND MESSAGE link simply means they are going to spend much of their time explaining themselves instead of taking orders. They should also have a proper Website. I hope they do well, but they are not making it easy.

52 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Terrible, terrible FaceBook page. I hope they can clean that up.  They should have their purpose up front, not a bunch of photos. They should be presenting their offerings, prices, phone number,  andemail up front. A SEND MESSAGE link simply means they are going to spend much of their time explaining themselves instead of taking orders. They should also have a proper Website. I hope they do well, but they are not making it easy.

I went to their site and they clearly showed and priced this weeks delivery option of fruits and veg.