Chapala.com Webboard

Scallions Ajijic - Don't confuse with the prior "Salvatores"

Carnivore

The posts yesterday that drew attention to both Casa Fuerte in Tlaquepaque and Pancho's in Riberas addressed how great Casa Fuerte is and always has been in virtually every category that one would want in a great restaurant and how terribly inconsistent Pancho's Deli in Riberas del Pilar, Chapala has been since the day it opened.  Casa Fuerte excels while Pancho's generally disgusts.

However, closer to home we have Scallions which is located in Plaza Bugambilias next door to El Torito.  The restaurant, for those who don't know, is the totally renovated space previously occupied by the cafeteria style restaurant, of many years known as Salvatores.  Salvatores was a breakfast/luncheon establishment serving simple fare at low prices.  Nothing extraordinary.

Scallions however is a very welcome addition to the restaurant scene at Lakeside.  Much improved facility.  Uncrowded layout, great washrooms, exceptional well designed kitchen, knowledgeable bar staff, friendly experienced wait staff, wide ranging aggressive menu that most restaurants would never dare attempt but...Scallions does it well.  Excellent value and some of the best food, consistently, that's available at Lakeside.  Erik Sanchez the owner manager is originally from Ajijic and returned here with his Italian wife after having been many years away from Mexico.  Unfortunately his brother who also returned to Ajijic and was intended to be the primary force behind the restaurant, died just weeks before the scheduled opening.  That caused some early hiccups for sure!

Test:  Try it for breakfast but ask to read a menu for later in the day.  I should mention to those in the community who so frequently talk about searching out the best burger.  There has never been a burger offered at Lakeside that even remotely compares to Scallions!  

Nuff said perhaps but we have too many restaurants in the Lakeside communities.  Many are doomed from the day they open.  When a good one comes along we should do everything to support and encourage them!

• Like 1

Have not tried the burger, but I do know that the place is just fine when Eric is there. For quite a while he was gone up to his places in California, and whenever that happened, the place here fell apart. He has told us that he is trying to always be here to correct that. Very typical: cat's away, mice play, with almost all of the restaurants lakeside.

2 hours ago, johanson said:

I go to Scallions several times a week for breakfast. I love their oatmeal. I haven't tried their hamburger for lunch, but I am looking forward to trying it.

Peter, if you have the burger, be prepared for a "big" lunch......and you won't want or need dinner.

• Like 1

I sure hope you are wrong, artsnob. This morning I had my oatmeal and a cup of coffee and two refills. The cup was not totally empty when they refilled each time. I paid the same as I always have. Now I just handed them cash and never saw the bill, so maybe they undercharged me, I do not know.

The oatmeal and coffee used to be $105, and as usual and I paid $120 including my $15 peso tip.  If we are paying by cup, I was undercharged.

22 hours ago, artsnob said:

Scallions now charges 35 pesos for coffee and 25 pesos for each refill, now never included in entree

artsnob, I went to Scallions this morning on the way to church and asked if what you posted above is true.  They said no.  You do not pay ,extra for each refill you get. Rather you pay for a coffee which can include refills if you desire and for no extra charge

Scallions is one of my wife's favorite places to go.  She enjoys the atmosphere.  The manager is very friendly and always shook my hand (before coronavirus) and thanked me for coming.  Meals are reasonably priced with the exception of the 35 peso coffee,  which I think is a little high but I shouldn't gripe about 5 pesos.  Haven't tried the hamburger but I will.  I miss the Salvatores breakfast which was good and at a great price.   After all the work they did remodeling, I was pleased to note prices are reasonable for the food service they provide.

Just so everyone is aware, it was called Salvador's. Most people remember Jorge as the owner.The real Salvador is a brother who left there and became the head cook at Doña Lola's many years ago. Of course, there is a lot more family history, but I simply wanted to clarify the name.

• Like 3

Hey artsnob, the folks at Scallions told me that they never sold their coffee for $35 nor did they ever charge for a refill. The next time you are there, check with them. They will tell you the same thing.

Friends that go there for coffee each morning, 6 days a week said the same thing.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Hey artsnob, the folks at Scallions told me that they never sold their coffee for $35 nor did they ever charge for a refill. The next time you are there, check with them. They will tell you the same thing.

Friends that go there for coffee each morning, 6 days a week said the same thing.

You may be right but I remember griping at my wife about paying 35 pesos for coffee.

2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

You may be right but I remember griping at my wife about paying 35 pesos for coffee.

There's coffee and there's coffee!  What coffee do you drink at home?  Is it just everyday black stuff or is it a worthwhile coffee that costs a few bucks.  Twenty three years ago when we first came to Mexico, I would freely estimate that 90% of the coffee being served in restaurants was instant.  (There were no specialty coffee places except perhaps in D.F.)   Be realistic, a worthy cup of coffee today at 35 pesos (if that's true, but according to other posts you're wrong!) with refills is only $1.59USD.  And, can you get a refill at Starbucks?  Of course not...you'd be laughed out of the store.  And, at Starbucks, to get your coffee you're going to have to actually walk up to a counter and order and then wait and stand in line where you run the risk of inhaling the fart from the guy in front of you.   Sounds like you just like to gripe!  I feel sorry for your wife!  Here's a possible solution:  Go into El Torito, buy a jar of Nescafé and then go into Scallions and order some hot water.

• Confused 1

If the normal price for coffee in Ajijic for coffee is 25 to 30 pesos

1 hour ago, Carnivore said:

There's coffee and there's coffee!  What coffee do you drink at home?  Is it just everyday black stuff or is it a worthwhile coffee that costs a few bucks.  Twenty three years ago when we first came to Mexico, I would freely estimate that 90% of the coffee being served in restaurants was instant.  (There were no specialty coffee places except perhaps in D.F.)   Be realistic, a worthy cup of coffee today at 35 pesos (if that's true, but according to other posts you're wrong!) with refills is only $1.59USD.  And, can you get a refill at Starbucks?  Of course not...you'd be laughed out of the store.  And, at Starbucks, to get your coffee you're going to have to actually walk up to a counter and order and then wait and stand in line where you run the risk of inhaling the fart from the guy in front of you.   Sounds like you just like to gripe!  I feel sorry for your wife!  Here's a possible solution:  Go into El Torito, buy a jar of Nescafé and then go into Scallions and order some hot water.

If the normal price for coffee in Ajijic is 25 to 30 pesos why should I not comment on it to my wife.  Evidently you never talk to your spouse.  I was merely backing up ARTSNOB about the 35 peso coffee.  Price now is in line with other eateries so there is no problem, if ever there was one.  I have seen many complaints about wine prices in this forum so this is no different.  I think probably people complained about the 35 pesos and adjustments were made.