Chapala.com Webboard

Crossing into US under Corona virus circumstances

We are snowbirders who drive to and from here and Canada each year.  We would normally leave to travel through the US towards the end of April (and get into Canada in time to do our taxes.)

Although we cannot leave here for at least 10 days due to obligations, we are considering heading north as soon as we can in light of possible border closings.  

Of course no one can predict the future during these crazy times, but we'd appreciate any accounts of border crossings by car into the US over the next couple of weeks, particularly for people who are not U.S. citizens.  

Thanks

4 hours ago, stuphel said:

We are snowbirders who drive to and from here and Canada each year.  We would normally leave to travel through the US towards the end of April (and get into Canada in time to do our taxes.)

Although we cannot leave here for at least 10 days due to obligations, we are considering heading north as soon as we can in light of possible border closings.  

Of course no one can predict the future during these crazy times, but we'd appreciate any accounts of border crossings by car into the US over the next couple of weeks, particularly for people who are not U.S. citizens.  

Thanks

Crossed at Laredo's Columbia bridge Sunday before last . No problems and no wait. If you need a turn by turn log, send me your email and I'll send you a link.

18 hours ago, mosport said:

The Canadian Govt is now asking all returning foreign travelers to self quarantine for two weeks

Without being asked or required, ALL travelers to or from any destination should self-quarantine for a minimum of two weeks.

Listening to some returnees to our own community spout that they didn't have a fever when they landed, so they're all good to socialize angers me.

• Like 1

Madhouse at airports for people flying into US....even from Mexico.  I had thought the extra screenings applied to EU and other banned countries, but evidently every international arrival gets put into same screening process.  Snowbirds or other travelers to US may want to factor in these wait times, especially if changing planes in US.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2020/03/14/europe-travel-ban-airport-delays/

At Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, travelers spent hours in the cramped terminal waiting to fill out questionnaires from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Dorothy Lowe, of Longview, Texas, said she stood in a customs line from 4 p.m. until after 7 p.m. Saturday evening after returning from a trip to Mexico.

“We’re all being herded in the same line standing side-by-side,” Lowe told WFAA. “I’m less concerned about having to stand here for the amount of time that I am, and more concerned about where the people are traveling from that are around me and what they may or may not have been exposed to.”