Chapala.com Webboard

Casa Fuerte in Tlaquepaque

ComputerGuy

This established restaurant on the main walk in Tlaquepaque is lovely inside and offers an interesting choice of steaks, seafood, and Mexican fare. It is not cheap; none of the nice restaurants are. But, that's what we wanted.

Here's why I'm posting this: a family member is visiting, and after breakfast at Pancho's the day before, he was wondering how that place gets away with such poor... everything. Burnt English muffins under an amazingly sloppy and exploded pair of Eggs Benedict, with watery sauce; burnt pancakes, too. No salt and pepper on the table; almost impossible to catch a waiter's eye; having to ask repeatedly for items. We go out to eat for a nice experience, and we don't get an apology, a recompense, or anything in return for our money.

At Casa Fuerte (and I've eaten there before), the service was impeccable. Impeccable. Several servers always responding to our needs before we had them. Delicious food served rapidly; all condiments and appetizers and side dishes brought to the table when they should have been, no need to ask for anything, and in fact not even any hovering. Just a pleasant experience from the time we entered until the time everyone thanked us on our way out the door. We left a substantial tip, because it was bloody well worth it.

Nothing compares around here, not even Tango where the service is usually very fast but mostly frenzied, with serving staff knocking into elbows and tables constantly. We left Fuerte more relaxed than ever, not a thing to complain about, and great memories.

Most impressive dish: queso fundido. 95p. A searingly-hot molcajete with a tomatillo sauce bubbling away, and a huge chunk of cheese placed into the liquid and masterfully chopped up with fork and spoon while we looked on. The cheese melted into massive gooey lumps and we had great fun spooning it out onto tostadas.

• Like 4

Have to agree about Pancho's very disappointed about steak night.  Steak was only so so and sides were help yourself.  The sides were cold and almost uneatable but I noticed after we ate, they warmed them up again.  We have ate there 3 times and I have tried their hamburger it was good but not great.  Service was satisfactory but we we had to ask for things that should have been automatic.  Another time, they did not have the meal we asked for and man (probably Pancho) told us we should try their weekend steak nights.  Unfortunately we had.

On 3/13/2020 at 12:00 PM, rafterbr said:

Have to agree about Pancho's very disappointed about steak night.  Steak was only so so and sides were help yourself.  The sides were cold and almost uneatable but I noticed after we ate, they warmed them up again.  We have ate there 3 times and I have tried their hamburger it was good but not great.  Service was satisfactory but we we had to ask for things that should have been automatic.  Another time, they did not have the meal we asked for and man (probably Pancho) told us we should try their weekend steak nights.  Unfortunately we had.

The trip for breakfast to Pancho's was a long shot. A few months ago, I gave up going for lunch, after portion sizes were reduced and prices stayed high. (Smaller clam chowder, much thinner roast beef sammich.) We had given up on dinner long ago, after eating one of their thin ribeyes with too much gristle, poor flavour, and that very poor "salad bar" with slim pickin's and cold potatos and broccoli. Not to mention absolutely horrendous service, and a salmon dish that was covered in hot spices.

I stopped going to Pancho's when I ordered a caesar salad for lunch and it came made with KALE instead of romaine. Whatever was the kitchen thinking. I would have preferred to have been told they couldn't fulfill my order.

• 2 weeks later...