Chapala.com Webboard

Mercado Libre

ra27

My experience using a debit card is that sometimes an order goes thru with no problem, but at other times orders are denied for unknown reason.  Would a credit card be a better choice when ordering from Mercado Libre?

The easiest and safest way to order from Mercado Libre is by paying cash at Oxxo. Also, make sure you choose a reputable dealer whose customers are happy. I've ordered many times using both criteria and the product(s) always arrive(s) promptly and I'm very satisfied.

• Like 1

I've ordered many items with credit cards, some items well over 10k pesos which can't easily be paid at oxxo. Often times payments can be spread out over multiple months interest free. They have excellent security systems in place

• Thanks 1

If the code that you present to Oxxo is not entered properly then, yes, you have a problem. Before the transaction, I pointedly tell the person entering it that I want to see it and check it before it goes through. Never had a problem.

• Like 1

Mercadolibre has a 26 billion dollar market cap. They are a major company. 

Mercadolibre guarantees the sellers and the transaction.  Mercadopago guarantees the payment.  It is just as secure as driving to a bank or convenience store to pay as long as your internet connection is secure. Also if you pay in cash at a bank or convenience store and return the purchase you will have to go through a process to receive your refund. If it is on a card it will be returned to the  card. 

You do need a Mexican bank's credit or debit card.

Many products also offer months to pay without interest if you are using a credit card

24 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Mercadolibre has a 26 billion dollar market cap. They are a major company. 

Mercadolibre guarantees the sellers and the transaction.  Mercadopago guarantees the payment.  It is just as secure as driving to a bank or convenience store to pay as long as your internet connection is secure. Also if you pay in cash at a bank or convenience store and return the purchase you will have to go through a process to receive your refund. If it is on a card it will be returned to the  card. 

You do need a Mexican bank's credit or debit card.

Many products also offer months to pay without interest if you are using a credit card

I think you may have nailed the OP's problem.

17 hours ago, Yo1 said:

You do NOT need a Mexican cc or debit card to pay for MercadoLibre.  I and many of my friends don't have Mexican cards and have used MercadoLIbre for years.

Then they have updated their requirements. I stand corrected...

I have been a ML member for 11 years and that was required when I signed up. Since I use a MX ccard I was not aware of the change.

Do they offer non interest payments with foreign credit cards?

1 minute ago, Alpha1 said:

Is there any means of contacting Mercado Libre MX, preferably by phone. Something doesn't seem correct with a payment.

No phone. You need to follow the online help instructions. At some point you can ask for chat or return call ir email. Is your problem regarding interest free payments?

5 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

No phone. You need to follow the online help instructions. At some point you can ask for chat or return call ir email. Is your problem regarding interest free payments?

Somethings just don't look right. I was expecting a confirmation from them via email that the payment was made at OXXO.

Oxxo payments are "instant" = to phone recharge.

Basically when you pay using a bank, Oxxo, etc you are depositing money into your Mercadopago account. If the amount is equal to or larger than your pending purchase then the purchase is completed.

Check the slip to see if your deposit went to your Mercadopago account. If it has the wrong number it could go to a different account same as if you gave a wrong cell number on a recharge.

If using computer scroll down to bottom of page click "mas informacion" look under "otros sitios" and click on "Mercado Pago". You will now see your account. 

Your Mercadopago account is like bank account. You can add funds whenever you want. When you purchase on ML choose pay with funds in my Mercadopago account. If there is not enough to cover your purchase choose how to pay the difference.

You can also pay for cell recharge, CFE, and Telmex. Download the app and you will get a discount on some payments for services and in Dominos.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Is there any time limit between placing the order and actually paying at the OXXO location?

BTW, Mostlylost I was able to use the refunded funds on the last purchase as you stated.

Glad it worked out.  My experience is as long as the offer is available it will work. 

• Thanks 1