Chapala.com Webboard

Coronavirus in our area

Here is Ferret's reference:

Foreign Policy News - Left BiasLEFT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation.  They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.

• Overall, we rate Foreign Policy News Left biased due to their story selection that favors the left and mixed factually due to poor (lack of) sourcing.

Sources like this always give themselves away by the hyperbole in their languaging, namely the extensive use of "strong loaded words."  One of the things I did beginning in college and continuing on was learn a lot about semantics and the difference between neutral and impartial language versus the loaded kind.  Try reading her citation looking for this.

The date of this article would pretty much require it was written before the U.S. began a serious response on January 20 which was even before the Chinese action on January 23 and definitely before the U.S. travel ban on January 31.  It took absolutely no note of reporting from other sources including within the administration that the government was initially most concerned about a financial panic and definitely tried to downplay things in the early going.

That turned out to be quite the thing to worry about initially.  I wonder how many here have taken a major hit on their portfolios and are now wishing the effort to contain panic had worked better.  For certain, the folks both NOB and here getting laid off of their jobs are wishing this had been more successful.

While it is also your bias you are to be complimented for your consistent civility.  Plus that you're a great restaurant reviewer.  :D 

There is no bias in factual reporting by qualified people (Laurie Garrett is a former senior fellow for global health at the Council on Foreign Relations and a Pulitzer Prize winning science writer). I wouldn't dismiss any publication's status based on its reviews. It is the reputation, honesty and integrity of the author of the article published anywhere that should be taken into consideration. YMMV.

BTW, the same publication absolutely slammed China's delay and the timing of its response.

• Like 1

Generally speaking, I try to avoid reading either the far left or far right publications.  That doesn't make them liars; just alarmists with an evangelistic agenda.

Re Mainecoons comments concerning the benefits of "downplaying":  Yes, the market would have been stronger (for longer) if the virus news hadn't outed the truth about the potential pandenic, but the virtual "elephant in the room" inevitably comes out.  IMHO, it would have been better to have acknowledged the threat earlier and made the population aware of it so that more precautions would have been taken.  Panic never helps an economy, and it seems to be in full panic mode now with a devastating effect on large and small businesses. I don't see throwing money at it as being an effective long term solution...but I don't claim to be an economist.

What am I, personally, doing?  Since I am in the hightest risk group, I am trying to be cautious:  avoiding crowds, making no travel plans and doing a sensible amount of social distancing.  Anything beyond that would be unsustainable, at least for me.

2 hours ago, Taaffe said:

He is allowing restaurants to stay open, everyone is crowded st the beach, movie theaters are open as long as they sanitize so....too little too late I think.

Restaurants and movie theaters are only 25%-50% occupancy allowed. Schools are already closed in Jalisco. Bars are already or are going to be closed, he did far more then most other politicians especially the president who is still hugging everyone.

• Like 1

Like I said Ferret, look at the loaded language in it.  Obvious.  And it is out of date given how fast this has evolved, which I notice you are avoiding.  I'm not going to discuss this or other very political and biased citations you have put up in this thread, nor your refusal to give up the "hoax" hoax.  Nothing I could write here is going to be heard by you.  Let's move on.

I'm a lot more concerned with where and how fast the cases are popping up at this point.  The rest is water under the dam

Now can we discuss the breaking news about chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine?  Reports popping up all over the place this long standing medication for Malaria seems to shut down the corona virus.  Apparently dosing patients with hydroxychloroquine was found in one rather small but peer reviewed study to clear the virus 100 percent in the tested group.

If true, this is very big.  The U.S. administration is already moving on it.  Mexico might have a good supply of this on hand as there is some malaria here.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Now can we discuss the breaking news about chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine?  Reports popping up all over the place this long standing medication for Malaria seems to shut down the corona virus.  Apparently dosing patients with hydroxychloroquine was found in one rather small but peer reviewed study to clear the virus 100 percent in the tested group.

If true, this is very big.  The U.S. administration is already moving on it.  Mexico might have a good supply of this on hand as there is some malaria here.

I posted that information two hours ago on page 12 (re-posted at the bottom of this post). Anything is hopeful even if not a total cure.

The one that the Australians are working on is a combo of anti-malarial and an anti-viral used in HIV (Kaletra). The Chinese were trying just the Kaletra but it has been tabled as ineffective.

The latest on the possible treatment: last paragraph... scratch Kaletra off the list on its own. Results of the Australian combo still in trials.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-treatments/two-generic-drugs-being-tested-in-u-s-in-race-to-find-coronavirus-treatments-idUSKBN2161QQ?feedType=nl&feedName=healthNews&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=US%202018%20Health%20Report%202020-03-19&utm_term=2018%20-%20US%20Health%20Report

I wish there could be a thread  that would quit talking about politics. It is a worldwide problem and the US is behind  time wise at getting hit and should learn from the other vrountries rather than bickering.. For me the situation in Mexico is way more important  to us because it s were we live. Wake up everyone and lear from others rather than arguing about politics. There is a high umber of people in the danger zone in the Chapala area so take care of yourselves and neghbors, forget about the US poltics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, bmh said:

I wish there could be a thread  that would quit talking about politics. It is a worldwide problem and the US is behind  time wise at getting hit and should learn from the other vrountries rather than bickering.. 

This statement should tell you why not. :D Don't do as I say or do, right?  :D

• Sad 2

• mod-3 locked this topic