Chapala.com Webboard

Coronavirus in our area

45 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

It's a pandemic, do you not understand what that means? It all has an impact on us. Just wait until all the millenial spring breakers start descending on Mexico from the US.

What the President of the US says or does has nothing to do with the spread of the virus Lakeside or in Mexico, it is about the US. We are here and what the President of Mexico says or does is what impacts us and all the nitpicking about what is happening or not in the US is not going to change anything. The same as to what Trudeau is doing or Merkel or the Queen of England. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

You think that the young people getting sick and the decisions about young people acting as carriers ONLY applies to the U.S. and not Lakeside?

No, but the politics in the US has nothing to do with whether you will or will not get sick. Strange that nobody is worried the President of Mexico is not doing much in the way of protecting his countrymen and the expats here. Only worry about what the US President did in January. Yes it is a pandemic, one that Mexico is not addressing and that should be your concern.

10 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

has nothing to do with the spread of the virus Lakeside or in Mexico,

Yes, it does. Italy didn't act fast enough or responsibly enough when they started to get cases, people travelled from Italy to other places on the globe and infected the population of the countries they went to including Mexico. It matters how every country is dealing with this. You don't seem to grasp the concept of what a pandemic is.

Actually I do, what you do not seem to grasp is that it is not what Italy did, it is what Mexico failed to do and is still not doing and that is closing the borders. Mexico knew Italy had the virus but did not stop anyone from there from coming in here. Again, your big concern and one which you totally ignore, is what is happening around you. It is not important what has gone on up north, nobody has come down here, (that we know of), with the virus. They have entered from other countries and have not been stopped and the President of Mexico states there is no need to stop those coming in, whether on foot, car, plane or cruise ship. Criticizing the leaders of other countries while yours does nothing is pointless and does not help anyone,

• Like 1

About the Ajijic Tianguis... so, it is closed per the new regulations against large groups of people  Fair enough... but... I always buy all my produce for the week plus other food items there.  I had to go the the Major Gringo Grocery instead.  It was more crowded than the tianguis plus it is indoors!  That makes no sense to me.  Couldn't they re-open the tianguis for food sellers only?  There would be plenty enough space to keep people from getting crowded and those merchants could still make a living, and we could find the best produce all in one place.  Outside in the fresh air.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

Actually I do, what you do not seem to grasp is that it is not what Italy did, it is what Mexico failed to do and is still not doing and that is closing the borders. Mexico knew Italy had the virus but did not stop anyone from there from coming in here. Again, your big concern and one which you totally ignore, is what is happening around you. It is not important what has gone on up north, nobody has come down here, (that we know of), with the virus. They have entered from other countries and have not been stopped and the President of Mexico states there is no need to stop those coming in, whether on foot, car, plane or cruise ship. Criticizing the leaders of other countries while yours does nothing is pointless and does not help anyone,

People from Zapopan visiting Vail, Colorado on a ski vacation brought back the virus. The authorities are looking for the other 400 people on the same trip.

https://www.infobae.com/america/mexico/2020/03/18/jalisco-lanzo-alerta-ante-400-posibles-casos-de-coronavirus-entre-un-grupo-que-viajo-a-vail/

15 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

My neighbor just showed me a picture  taken by her sister of Lopez Mateo this morning, virtually no cars. She also told me since she is on Facebook that local public transport is being reduced and then will be canceled all together in the upcoming days. If you have Facebook you can check it with the city hall page. So the good news is that local governments are taking action.

We were in Guadalajara the same day and Lopez Mateo was crowded as usual. As were the other streets. The people of Guadalajara are operating as business as usual.

8 hours ago, Ferret said:

The governor of Jalisco is doing a fine job and has been very pro active. I hope other Governors of Mexican States step up to the plate.

He is allowing restaurants to stay open, everyone is crowded st the beach, movie theaters are open as long as they sanitize so....too little too late I think.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

In 24 hrs number of cases went up 40% in US. You can expect that or more in Mexico. The idea that it’s different here is just an illusion. Mainecoons shouldn’t believe propaganda from politicians.  We’re too old for that. 

And you shouldn't be driven to hysteria by the media.  Compared to past pandemics (this one not even declared until March 11) this one is pretty puny and unlike in 2009 there is a much more proactive response to it.  You definitely sound old and fearful, that is for sure.  Life will go on with or without you.  No one gets out alive.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

And you shouldn't be driven to hysteria by the media.  Compared to past pandemics (this one not even declared until March 11) this one is pretty puny and unlike in 2009 there is a much more proactive response to it.  You definitely sound old and fearful, that is for sure.  Life will go on with or without you.  No one gets out alive.

I worked in hospital critical care all my life and I may be old but I’m not afraid. However, I learned early in my career to get ready so that when the shit hits the fan I can say “I got this”. All first responders learn this. 

I started getting ready in January and I didn’t see any political leaders sound the alarm so this “proactive response” that you’re talking about wasn’t there. I saw a reactive response later along with the blame game and making excuses. Wake up Mainecoons!

• Thanks 3

Well you haven't been paying attention.  Although it wasn't declared a pandemic until March 11 the U.S. government formed its response group on January 20 so they also started getting ready.  Compared to both the Chinese and European response, and the response of 2009 to H1N1 it was far faster.  Hell the Chinese let thousands of people from Wuhan travel all over the world even after they knew they had a disease outbreak.  How do you think it got around so quickly?

I'm not the one who needs waking up and stop trying to pick a personal fight with me.  You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.  Mine is very close to what Tingting has very eloquently expressed and it has evolved over time as the situation has evolved.  I am far from alone in my opinion the media has been more than a little hysterical. 

I don't care to carry on a personal conversation with you on this board or anywhere else for that matter. 

Sheesh!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

To blame the media for things you don’t agree with is politicizing.  We all use different sources of information and arrive at different conclusions. But for you to imply that we are panicking and believing blindly the hysterical media is somewhat condescending.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some of you are and some of you aren't.  As for the U.S. media hysteria, that is well documented.  All you have to do is compare their behavior in 2009 to now to figure this out. 

BTW, the illness is traced to Wuhan beginning in November of last year.  Travel from there was not banned by China until January 23.  On January 31 just one week the U.S. banned most travel from China to the U.S. as by then, the Chinese government's self admitted tardy response had resulted in the disease being spread widely outside of Wuhan.  Three days before the Chinese finally acted, the U.S. government formed a group to address the problem.

When "reporters" start labeling things as "Trump's Chernobyl" and "Trumps Katrina" that is hysteria and bias.  Now I realize that here, for the most part that is also the bias of this group, that is quite obvious.  That bias is why the media response to this situation is so different than the one in 2009 when, at least thus far, the numbers of people infected and killed absolutely dwarf this situation world wide.  Despite a more than 4 month failure to act in any meaningful way I can't recall a single "news" story in the so called MSM labeling Obama with H1N1 personally and I'll wager none of you can cite one.

Of course you see pointing out the obvious here as politicizing because it is your politics.  

Nevermind the political bias of any news source: they all have one.  What is important is whether they are telling the truth or not.  Ferret's reference outlined who did what and when, and unless a fact-check shows a Pinocchio was in action, it was a rather appalling history of what has happened, and it was enlightening in a saddening way.

We all have political biases, based on our education and experience in life.  What should be happening is civil discourse without personal attacks against other points of view. ...at least we could try a little harder, si?

• Thanks 3