Chapala.com Webboard

Coronavirus in our area

2 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I'll leave it to Moderator 5 to delete any and all political statements.

:D 

Breaking News:  U.S. and Canada agree to halt all nonessential border traffic between the two countries.

Continuing to be proactive.

Trump made the announcement on Twitter, saying the decision would not affect the flow of trade between the countries.

"We will be, by mutual consent, temporarily closing our Northern Border with Canada to non-essential traffic. Trade will not be affected. Details to follow!"

The two nations had been  working out the details of a mutual ban on nonessential travel between the two countries amid the new coronavirus pandemic, a Canadian official told The Associated Press earlier.

My neighbor just showed me a picture  taken by her sister of Lopez Mateo this morning, virtually no cars. She also told me since she is on Facebook that local public transport is being reduced and then will be canceled all together in the upcoming days. If you have Facebook you can check it with the city hall page. So the good news is that local governments are taking action.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alli said:

Seems as though some folks have changed their stories and now have jumped on the Coronavirus bandwagon. Hmmm . . . Stopped watching FOX (fascist, obnoxious xenophobes) News?

How would you know, you are a "newbie" ! :D What was wrong with you last name here? Too many knew who you were?  :D

And I just re-read all the posts in this thread and cannot find the comment about "hoax" that I'm supposed to have contributed to this thread according to Mainecoons.

Be well, be healthy, be cautious, be prepared.

2 hours ago, Alli said:

Seems as though some folks have changed their stories and now have jumped on the Coronavirus bandwagon. Hmmm . . . Stopped watching FOX (fascist, obnoxious xenophobes) News?

"As the facts change our strategy changes". Gov. Andrew Cuomo 3/17  Stay calm and carry on is always good advice panic accomplishes little. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alli said:

"As the facts change our strategy changes". Gov. Andrew Cuomo 3/17  Stay calm and carry on is always good advice panic accomplishes little. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ferret said:

And I just re-read all the posts in this thread and cannot find the comment about "hoax" that I'm supposed to have contributed to this thread according to Mainecoons.

Be well, be healthy, be cautious, be prepared.

In the other thread.

Thank you MtnMama. Hoax my a$$.

That was after her fake news statement about the POTUS and the hoax claim was seriously debunked using your own media.  Yet you repeated it.

As to the rest of your statement we are and if you read back in this thread we got prepared pretty early.  

I believe the POTUS was primarily motivated by what started happening in the financial markets early and he was seeking to project a positive outlook to limit the panic there.  Now the markets are below 20,000 and a whole lot of folks including I'll bet a bunch here are having their retirement savings threatened.  I'm glad he tried to limit that damage even though it didn't work (but stick around for the buying opportunity). 

At the same time he was trying to downplay the panic his administration was putting together a strong expert team and taking other early steps.  There is no one out there who is perfect on this matter but when I look around the world and I look back to 2009 and H1N1 (four months with no significant response from the U.S.) it is hard for me to see much of anyone who has done better, let alone as well either before or now.  Much of Europe really dropped the ball.

I think people are starting to realize that, hence the increasing number of acknowledgements across the aisle.  I agree we need to keep the focus on us here where it does appear we have an equally proactive governor though the national leadership is at best disorganized and at worst sending the wrong message.

On Facebook I saw a report Costco is pretty well stocked.  Can anyone confirm?

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Bleach does not kill the virus from what I understand. So those Clorox wipe are useless

Bleach will kill the corona virus and virtually every other germ and virus on the planet.  Please don't spread untruths about such an important issue.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Direct quotes:

During a campaign rally in South Carolina on Feb. 28, Mr. Trump accused Democrats and the news media of hysteria and unfairly criticizing his administration by engaging in what he said was a political “hoax.”

On Jan. 22, asked by a CNBC reporter whether there were “worries about a pandemic,” the president replied: “No, not at all. We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

On Feb. 26, at a White House news conference, commenting on the country’s first reported cases: “We’re going to be pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck.”

On Feb. 27, at a White House meeting: “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”

On March 7, standing next to President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil at Mar-a-Lago, his club in Palm Beach, Fla., when asked if he was concerned that the virus was spreading closer to Washington: “No, I’m not concerned at all. No, I’m not. No, we’ve done a great job.” (At least three members of the Brazilian delegation and one Trump donor at Mar-a-Lago that weekend later tested positive for the virus.)

On March 16, in the White House briefing room, warning that the outbreak would “wash” away this summer: “So it could be right in that period of time where it, I say, wash — it washes through. Other people don’t like that term. But where it washes through.”

On Tuesday he took to the White House lectern and made a remarkable assertion: He knew it was a pandemic all along.

“This is a pandemic,” Mr. Trump told reporters. “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”

The guy is a massive crock. And anyone supporting him is stewing in his feces.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

CG you do fake news and TDS proud.

#1-debunked by Snopes and CBS news.

#2-how many had declared it a pandemic at that time.  Italy thought they just had some sort of pneumonia.

#3-Corona virus task force organized on January 29.  Major, early response.  Taken out of context

#4-It will disappear or sink out of significance someday just like all the rest.  You do understand what "some day" suggests?

#5-That is the usual behavior of flu.  We do not know what will happen by summer and neither do you.

#6-Yep, some embroidery there.

Your closing statement-laughable for a Canadian with the kind of leadership your country has these days.  I suggest you pay attention to your own country.  It isn't doing so hot these days.  But I'll give you credit for being right one out of six.  :D 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

The fact of the matter is Trump responded very quickly with a travel ban from China and that made a big difference.  The fact of the matter is he has listened to the experts which is why his thinking and response of him and his team has evolved and ramped up so quickly which is why even the Governor of New York and a now being ostracized CNN commentator have both praised his response.

Now will you retract your fake news hoax statement?

Didn't many of these same posters say the closing of travel was wrong thing to do?  Now it is universal and may help control the spread.  Large numbers of Chinese illegal immigrant invaders come across the Mexico/USA  border without being checked for anything, yet universally these posters are against hardening the border. I believe most countries in the world will firm up their borders and take back control of them.

• Like 1

COVID-19 is a new (actually now 2 different strains of) and little understood virus. It is not a Republican virus or a Democratic virus; it was an unexpected act of nature. It was nobody’s fault. Just as it is nobody’s that that there are not more hospital beds or respirators. We don’t have the luxury of having extra stuff just sitting around in case it might be needed someday.

Worldwide there have been 8312 deaths from corona virus; 3237 of them in China. In the US there have been 100. By comparison, there have been more than 10,000 US deaths from the flu this season. The world still don’t have anything like a effective flu vaccine.

If it makes some of you shallow people feel better to blame Donald Trump of the spread of COVID-19 go for it. But please have the sense not to embarrass yourselves by doing it publicly. 

Here is a report from the Imperial College in full and summarized below. 

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

The Imperial College team plugged infection and death rates from China/Korea/Italy into epidemic modeling software and ran a simulation: what happens if the US does absolutely nothing -- if we treat COVID-19 like the flu, go about our business, and let the virus take its course? 

Here's what would happen: 80% of Americans would get the disease. 0.9% of them would die. Between 4 and 8 percent of all Americans over the age of 70 would die. 2.2 million Americans would die from the virus itself. 

It gets worse. People with severe COVID-19 need to be put on ventilators. 50% of those on ventilators still die, but the other 50% live. But in an unmitigated epidemic, the need for ventilators would be 30 times the number available in the US. Nearly 100% of these patients die. 

So the actual death toll from the virus would be closer to 4 million Americans -- in a span of 3 months. 8-15% of all Americans over 70 would die. 

How many is 4 million people? It's more Americans than have died all at once from anything, ever. It's the population of Los Angeles. It's 4 times the number of Americans who died in the Civil War...on both sides combined. It's two-thirds as many people as died in the Holocaust. 

Americans make up 4.4% of the world's population. If we extrapolate these numbers to the rest of the world (warning: MOE is high here), this gives us 90 million deaths globally from COVID-19, in 3-6 months. 15 Holocausts. 1.5 times as many people as died in all of World War II. 

Now, of course countries won't stand by and do nothing. So the Imperial College team ran the numbers again, this time assuming a "mitigation" strategy: all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing. 

This mitigation strategy is what you've seen a lot of people talking about when they say we should "flatten the curve": try to slow the spread of the disease to the people most likely to die from it, to avoid overwhelming hospitals. 

And it does flatten the curve -- but not nearly enough. The death rate from the disease is cut in half, but it still kills 1.1 million Americans all by itself. The peak need for ventilators falls by two-thirds, but it still exceeds the number of ventilators in the US by 8 times. 

That leaves the actual death toll in the US at right around 2 million deaths. The population of Houston. Two Civil Wars. One-third of the Holocaust. Globally, 45 million people die: 7.5 Holocausts, 3/4 of World War II. That's what happens if we rely on mitigation & common sense. 

Finally, the Imperial College team ran the numbers again, assuming a "suppression" strategy: isolate symptomatic cases, quarantine their family members, social distancing for the whole population, all public gatherings/most workplaces shut down, schools and universities close. 

Suppression works! The death rate in the US peaks 3 weeks from now at a few thousand deaths, then goes down. We hit but don't exceed the number of available ventilators. The nightmarish death tolls from the rest of the study disappear. 

But here's the catch: if we EVER relax suppression before a vaccine is administered to the entire population, COVID-19 comes right back and kills millions of Americans in a few months, the same as before. 

After the 1st suppression period ends in July, we could probably lift restrictions for a month, followed by 2 more months of suppression, in a repeating pattern without triggering an outbreak or overwhelming the ventilator supply. Staggering breaks by city could do a bit better. 

But we simply cannot EVER allow the virus to spread throughout the entire population in the way other viruses do, because it is just too deadly. If lots of people we know end up getting COVID-19, it means millions of Americans are dying. It simply can't be allowed to happen. 

How quickly will a vaccine be here? Last week three separate research teams announced they had developed vaccines. Yesterday, one of them (with FDA approval) injected its vaccine into a live person, without waiting for animal testing. That's an extreme measure, but necessary. 

Now, though, they have to monitor the test subject for 14 months to make sure the vaccine is safe. This part can't be rushed: if you're going to inoculate all humans, you have to make absolutely sure the vaccine itself won't kill them. It probably won't, but you have to be sure. 

Assuming the vaccine is safe and effective, it will still take several months to produce enough to inoculate the global population. For this reason, the Imperial College team estimated it will be about 18 months until the vaccine is available. 

During those 18 months, things are going to be very difficult and very scary. Our economy and society will be disrupted in profound ways. And if suppression actually works, it will feel like we're doing all this for nothing, because infection and death rates will remain low. 

It's easy to get people to come together in common sacrifice in the middle of a war. It's very hard to get them to do so in a pandemic that looks invisible precisely because suppression methods are working. But that's exactly what we're going to have to do. /end 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

38 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

CG you do fake news and TDS proud.

#1-debunked by Snopes and CBS news.

#2-how many had declared it a pandemic at that time.  Italy thought they just had some sort of pneumonia.

#3-Corona virus task force organized on January 29.  Major, early response.  Taken out of context

#4-It will disappear or sink out of significance someday just like all the rest.  You do understand what "some day" suggests?

#5-That is the usual behavior of flu.  We do not know what will happen by summer and neither do you.

#6-Yep, some embroidery there.

Your closing statement-laughable for a Canadian with the kind of leadership your country has these days.  I suggest you pay attention to your own country.  It isn't doing so hot these days.  But I'll give you credit for being right one out of six.  :D 

These are direct actual quotes. And you know what? What happens in the summer makes no difference to me, and you suggesting that this is something I believe or stand behind is just crap. You can rationalize anything you want. You probably thought it was a Democratic hoax, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Direct quotes:

During a campaign rally in South Carolina on Feb. 28, Mr. Trump accused Democrats and the news media of hysteria and unfairly criticizing his administration by engaging in what he said was a political “hoax.”

On Jan. 22, asked by a CNBC reporter whether there were “worries about a pandemic,” the president replied: “No, not at all. We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

On Feb. 26, at a White House news conference, commenting on the country’s first reported cases: “We’re going to be pretty soon at only five people. And we could be at just one or two people over the next short period of time. So we’ve had very good luck.”

On Feb. 27, at a White House meeting: “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”

On March 7, standing next to President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil at Mar-a-Lago, his club in Palm Beach, Fla., when asked if he was concerned that the virus was spreading closer to Washington: “No, I’m not concerned at all. No, I’m not. No, we’ve done a great job.” (At least three members of the Brazilian delegation and one Trump donor at Mar-a-Lago that weekend later tested positive for the virus.)

On March 16, in the White House briefing room, warning that the outbreak would “wash” away this summer: “So it could be right in that period of time where it, I say, wash — it washes through. Other people don’t like that term. But where it washes through.”

On Tuesday he took to the White House lectern and made a remarkable assertion: He knew it was a pandemic all along.

“This is a pandemic,” Mr. Trump told reporters. “I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.”

The guy is a massive crock. And anyone supporting him is stewing in his feces.

Who cares about stupid ol Donald T. Rump with such bigger things to worry about. Stop your squabbling, grow up and take your US politics somewhere else. Quite frankly Charlotte, we don't give a dam.... Enough already