Chapala.com Webboard

Coronavirus in our area

27 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Mainecoons, on Feb 11 there were 13 confirmed cases in US.  Now  a little over a month later we have over 5000 cases. Starting to get worried?

COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance* -Current from CDC web page 3-17-2020
  • Total cases: 4,226
  • Total deaths: 75
  • Jurisdictions reporting cases: 53 (49 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)
  • Today, death rate is 1.77 % in US. So far, seems to daily move downward.

19 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Mainecoons, on Feb 11 there were 13 confirmed cases in US.  Now  a little over a month later we have over 5000 cases. Starting to get worried?

In 30 days, that computes to 140 increase per day. Really great compared to other countries. Now, if that can be maintained, wow !!!

23 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

No.  A lot more worried about the economic impact on Mexico, our local folks and our artisan family frankly.

Any other questions?

4 minutes ago, gringal said:

Then there is this:

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-predicts-coronavirus-hit-economy-155125701.htmlen there is this:

...which should be  (but probably is not) of interest to those who don't see "big government" in action.

Do you understand the role of the Federal Government when it comes to jobs and the economy? I guess not, by your comment. Do you understand the purpose of these checks? This IS the job of the Federal Government. You need a refresher course, or more. Geez, Louise !!!

There was a special segment on Fox News with 2 heads of large hospital systems in NYC and they said 88% of people with Covid-19 show symptoms from day 2-5. The 14 day quarantine is for people who have it and the 14 day number is how long it runs its course. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tomgates said:

There was a special segment on Fox News with 2 heads of large hospital systems in NYC and they said 88% of people with Covid-19 show symptoms from day 2-5. The 14 day quarantine is for people who have it and the 14 day number is how long it runs its course. 

The hospital systems in the US are state controlled, not Federal. Each state controls their own, not like here. Some states are stronger than others, because of strong leadership, and that is why we see such diversity in reporting. The good ones are beginning to produce significant results. NY has done a good job under the leadership of its governor. Hopefully states will follow some of the things that produce positives from there to protect their own citizens. If only Mexico would get after it seriously !  :(

• Like 1

To day we ventured out after 5 days of self isolation...I was thinking that the "place(s)" would be empty..well no, busy busy on the highway,....... Walmart parking lot packed...we did our shopping in Sorrina , no shortage of paper goods and their parking lot was fuller than normal

If there is a concern in Mexico for Corvis 19 the realization has not reached Lakeside and we may as well be on the Moon.

Just curious.... you self-isolated for 5 days. Was this timeframe picked because we are being told that symptoms will show by then?  But then you went into Sorianas where there had to be/probably were a good number of people, most of whom are oblivious to the virus and most surely did not self-isolate themselves before showing up there.  Again, just curious.... and good for you for doing so.

6 hours ago, Dostortas said:

Just read an article in the CBC advising Canadians outside of Canada with travel insurance that their coverage may be restricted.  Be advised that most coverage will end within 10 days of Ottawa issuing an advisory against non essential travel.  You can read the entire article on CBC News online.  Safe travels to everyone. 

A real bonehead move. Does not take in account people already away with agendas and inability to change flights.

Just now, RickS said:

Just curious.... you self-isolated for 5 days. Was this timeframe picked because we are being told that symptoms will show by then?  But then you went into Sorianas where there had to be/probably were a good number of people, most of whom are oblivious to the virus and most surely did not self-isolate themselves before showing up there.  Again, just curious.... and good for you for doing so.

Our initial reason was not to be "surrounded" by people who may have the virus...."we are OK' and want to stay that way....... last week we told our maid to return home because she had a terrible cold...an annual event for her and the family as the kids always bring home the bug...realistically we are in greater danger from catching the flu bug from her!!!!....seriously .how many times do you see kids around the stores with their noses running,  coughing and sneezing, at this time of year its  norm at Lakeside

As best I can tell, this is certain private insurance companies, some of whom are actually under contract with both Federal and Provincial health programs.

In response to your question, I did a little digging, and it may look worse than it is. The companies listed in this writeup are being specific to people who left the country after the situation was noted.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-major-canadian-insurance-companies-wont-cover-coronavirus-treatment/

Also I note that "customers travelling to destinations that are not the subject of advisories, medical costs related to the coronavirus will be covered". And even some companies who have declared that many of them are not considered "emergencies".

1 hour ago, HookEmHorns said:

Do you understand the role of the Federal Government when it comes to jobs and the economy? I guess not, by your comment. Do you understand the purpose of these checks? This IS the job of the Federal Government. You need a refresher course, or more. Geez, Louise !!!

General Welfare spending is not a Presidential power, though our current Potus seems to think the initiative should be his, rather than that of Congress.  it.  But I've allowed myself to do what I criticize ....politicizing ...so I'll stop here.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/history/dictionaries-thesauruses-pictures-and-press-releases/general-welfare-clause

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HookEmHorns said:

The hospital systems in the US are state controlled, not Federal. Each state controls their own, not like here. 

Speaking of Federal and State hospitals, the Veterans Administration (a Federal agency which operates hospitals in almost every state) is trying to duck their responsibility with this cheezy move.  Regardless of their erasing it from their website over the weekend, their mandate remains to help state and local hospitals in times of national emergency.    

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2020/03/16/va-fourth-mission-website/

The Department of Veterans Affairs serves as a backup health system in times of crisis, but its mission statement for this crucial role was deleted from the agency’s website Friday as many in the country grew concerned that the coronavirus could overload civilian hospitals.

VA’s three missions are to serve veterans through care, research and training in its behemoth health system. But in 1982, Congress expanded VA’s role into what has become known as VA’s “fourth mission”: to absorb non-veteran civilian or military patients in the event that hospitals overflow in an emergency, such as a pandemic like the coronavirus.

That objective was described on VA’s Office of Emergency Management page going back to 2014, according to cached pages, and was on VA’s site as late as Friday afternoon. But later that day, references to the “fourth mission” were removed and replaced with information that doesn’t reference the mission at all.

“It’s Orwellian,” Kristofer Goldsmith, the associate director of policy and government affairs at Vietnam Veterans of America, said Monday.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:00 AM, vetteforron said:

There are not enough tests kits for the U. S. and other countries. Mexico no one knows. This is a tourists country plus all the people trafficad through this country into the states there has to be many more than reported. Don't touch the tope people.  I am now being just a little more cautious than before because I own a nursing home. At this point it could be anywhere. I make weekly trips to Guadalajara I see no panic buying. To sound like a broken record just follow all the advice of professionals. Wash your hands as soon as you get home after touching money.  This will pass and be old news in a couple of months. I hope, I hope...

Mexico might have been eligible for Test Kits from WHO. But if they're no longer a third world country probably not. although the US and Canada do much of the funding for the WHO we don't get that charity from them. They did not furnish test kits in the swine flu epidemic to the US or Canada.

Speaking of Federal and State hospitals, the Veterans Administration (a Federal agency which operates hospitals in almost every state) is trying to duck their responsibility with this cheezy move.  Regardless of their erasing it from their website over the weekend, their mandate remains to help state and local hospitals in times of national emergency.  

No, their primary mandate is to serve veterans FIRST.  Perhaps they think they need to make sure there is space available for veterans?  I would think they would be concerned about running out of space like the rest of the hospitals.   That is hardly ducking their responsibility.  That is setting priorities in line with their primary mission.

I find the statement of this Goldsmith person interesting.  Supposedly he/she is an advocate for Vietnam veterans at the Vietnam Veterans of America organization.  Why does she appear to be advocating using hospital facilities whose priorities are veterans to be used for civilians?  Many veterans and all Vietnam vets are older males who are a more at risk group.  I would think the VVA would be very concerned about running out of space for them and it seems reasonable and prudent to make sure they can be served first.

I sent this person's organization, the VVA, asking them to explain why they would be advocating using hospital space intended for veterans at a time when it is very likely there will be a shortage of same, for a lesser priority, that of treating civilians.  I'll let you know if I get a response.  In the mean time, why don't you stop and think before you post with such accusatory language when upon examination this policy shift seems to be about focusing on the VA's responsibility not ducking it.

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

The V.A. Prepares to Back Up a Health Care System Threatened by Coronavirus

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/us/politics/veterans-affairs-coronavirus.html

Federal Government providing support, like their Constitutional obligation.

Seems a lot of fake news is back with us again !!! :(

Washington DC VA Medical Center

Mission Statement

Our Mission
"Respect and serve our Nation’s Veterans by honoring them with excellent health care."

https://www.washingtondc.va.gov/about/mission.asp

• Like 1