Chapala.com Webboard

Coronavirus in our area

39 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Not necessarily true. Health officials have been warning about wearing masks because unless one is trained, like medical personnel are, as to how to wear and remove it properly, it can do more harm than good. People tend to fiddle around with masks. I saw a woman wearing one yesterday who was constantly grabbing it by the top, right by her nose, with thumb inside the mask and index finger outside, to keep pulling it up. Unless her hands were totally sterile, she just helped to introduce whatever she might have had on her hands to the inside of her mask.

that makes sense

6 hours ago, Ferret said:

My paper money is going into the dryer. My coins are getting parked in the sun on a tray.

Interesting about the moist environment of the human body but it is also recommended to stay well hydrated and to sip water constantly to wash any virus into the acidic environment of the stomach. Not sure how that works in the case of a norovirus. Damned if you do and damned if out don't.

It doesn't.  The drinking water myth was one of the first to be debunked. Won't hurt to stay hydrated, though. But it's nonsense that the water moves it to stomach and stomach acid magically kills it.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/12/21177262/coronavirus-tip-fake-list-stanford-hoax-covid-19

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

It doesn't.  The drinking water myth was one of the first to be debunked. Won't hurt to stay hydrated, though. But it's nonsense that the water moves it to stomach and stomach acid magically kills it.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/12/21177262/coronavirus-tip-fake-list-stanford-hoax-covid-19

I'm thinking we should try Tequila!  :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Thank you! (I've run out of reactions)

And we are talking about Coronavirus not Norovirus. Norovirus is another kind that causes intestinal upset involving vomiting and diarrhea. I mentioned it to question the washing down of the Coronavirus to the stomach acidity where it would supposedly die. Bisbee gal said that theory has been debunked.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:39 PM, Mainecoons said:

The hysteria is spreading here.  Iteso University has shut down and there are runs in progress on Costco.  

This is so damn stupid and overblown.

This was YOU Mainecoons, echoing Fox News. My how you have changed your tune. The response in the U.S. was toooooooooo damn slow.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/on-fox-news-suddenly-a-very-different-tune-about-the-coronavirus/ar-BB11hipi

And I know you will classify this as a political attack. But I am also glad that you now see the light and are heeding Chicken Little. Be safe. Be well.

• Thanks 4

Nope, haven't changed my tune at all.  It is overblown.

Somehow I doubt you have a clue what is on Fox News, you simply parrot what you get from their opposites.  If you did you'd know they're pretty much all putting out the same hysteria.

This will help you all put this in perspective:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/?fbclid=IwAR2mqenDK6FMeQvTqDg2FcPD30qvSZ3nJLP2ungKrPlsfgKFm8Nh2Tc3TQk

• Thanks 1

And I'm all for history not repeating itself. Covid 19 mode of transmission: Unknown; Covid 19 vaccine: not available; Covid 19 incubation period: unknown. And this pandemic is in its very early stages. It is not overblown. Is it better to protect yourself and your family and your community or to say, posthumously, oops, I made a mistake. Better safe than sorry.

• Like 3

This should give you all something to worry about.  Maybe we are living in the next Italy.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/16/mexico-is-dangerously-unprepared-for-the-inevitable-wuhan-coronavirus-outbreak/

Fortunately for us the Jalisco governor seems to be taking this much more seriously than some of the folks in Mexico City.

• Thanks 1

Anyone find the death rate % by age for those who have died in the US from this virus, Find it for China, but the death rate in the US is lower, and so are other countries. One would think that publishing this death rate stat by age would lower the fear rate . Maybe, that is why it is not published?

13 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

Anyone find the death rate % by age for those who have died in the US from this virus, Find it for China, but the death rate in the US is lower, and so are other countries. One would think that publishing this death rate stat by age would lower the fear rate . Maybe, that is why it is not published?

Not lower the fear rate here.  :D 

Nearly half of the deaths in Washington State happened in that one nursing home.  They don't have a lot of data for western elderly population morbidity yet but it looks between 5 and 10 percent.  Not great but not the Black Plague either.

Winding down in China and South Korea thanks to very strong social isolation tactics.  That is what works.  That is what we are doing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

You like pictures, see if you can figure this one out.

Yeah, the highest fatality rates from those diseases are from before the concept of germs and how disease is spread was known. Doctors didn't even wash their hands between attending sick patients. People hardly bathed and there were open sewers running down the streets with livestock intermingling with people and rotting food everywhere.

This coronoavirus pandemic just started, we have no idea at the present time how many people it will kill.

I always wonder what, exactly people who love to say things are overblown, media hype or fake news get out of it. Does it make you feel superior?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Not lower the fear rate here.  :D 

Nearly half of the deaths in Washington State happened in that one nursing home.  They don't have a lot of data for western elderly population morbidity yet but it looks between 5 and 10 percent.  Not great but not the Black Plague either.

Winding down in China and South Korea thanks to very strong social isolation tactics.  That is what works.  That is what we are doing.

I found this, but it is a few days back there: US Surgeon General Jerome Adams said cases would rise, adding the average age of death for people with the virus was 80, and the average age of those needing medical attention was 60. (Outside that age span, not much worry). Sadly, I fit into the near 80 with immune problems. Still, tho, if China is correct, about a 1 in 8 or 9 chance. Could be worse.  

:)

14 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Yeah, the highest fatality rates from those diseases are from before the concept of germs and how disease is spread was known. Doctors didn't even wash their hands between attending sick patients. People hardly bathed and there were open sewers running down the streets with livestock intermingling with people and rotting food everywhere.

This coronoavirus pandemic just started, we have no idea at the present time how many people it will kill.

I always wonder what, exactly people who love to say things are overblown, media hype or fake news get out of it. Does it make you feel superior?

I don't think they feel superior, JMHO. But I do think it makes those who try to put them down feel superior, Just sayin' :)

And here's another GOP member who's leading.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ohio-gov-mike-dewines-coronavirus-response-has-become-a-national-guide-to-the-crisis/ar-BB11hhQe

Quite frankly, I don't care who the President of the U.S. is or what his party affiliation is BUT he better be damn well prepared to surround himself with the best people who know how to do their jobs and how to allocate responsibility to those people.

• Like 2