Chapala.com Webboard

FMM 'renewal' without leaving the country

suep

"Obtain an FMM"?  If you are referring to a renewal of a tourist card, no, you have to leave to country and re-enter. An "FMM" is not a synonym for a tourist card, BTW.  An FMM is a Mexican migratory document which all foreigners have to fill out when entering or leaving the country, even if they are official residents. If you are a tourist, the bottom half serves as your tourist card, but it isn't called "an FMM".

15 hours ago, mudgirl said:

"Obtain an FMM"?  If you are referring to a renewal of a tourist card, no, you have to leave to country and re-enter. An "FMM" is not a synonym for a tourist card, BTW.  An FMM is a Mexican migratory document which all foreigners have to fill out when entering or leaving the country, even if they are official residents. If you are a tourist, the bottom half serves as your tourist card, but it isn't called "an FMM".

Actually a "tourist card" form is officially an FMM  or an FMME 

From the INM website :

You have 30 days to use your FMM , so you should anticipate its completion considering the date of your flight .

Remember that your stay in Mexico may be up to 180 days without permission to carry out activities that generate economic income.

The traditional way to obtain the FMM at the admission points is still in force, but now you have the option to fill it out in advance from the country where you are.

In addition to your FMM, you must  present the documents that prove your nationality, as well as verify whether or not your country requires a Visa to enter Mexico and meet the requirements.  

Keep the part of the  FMM that corresponds to the entry record  and is stamped  , as it is the evidence of your  regular stay in our country and will be  required upon leaving  the national territory.

Cuentas con 30 días para hacer uso de tu FMM, por lo que deberás prever su llenado considerando la fecha de tu vuelo.

Recuerda que tu estadía en México podrá ser hasta por 180 días sin permiso para realizar actividades que te generen ingresos económicos.

La forma tradicional para obtener la FMM en los puntos de internación, sigue estando vigente, pero ahora tienes la opción de llenarla con anticipación desde el país en el que te encuentres.

Además de tu FMM deberás presentar los documentos que acrediten tu nacionalidad, así como verificar si tu país requiere o no Visa para ingresar a México y cumplir con los requisitos.  

Conserva la parte de la FMM sellada que corresponde al registro de ingreso, pues es la evidencia de tu estancia regular en nuestro país y se te requerirá al abandonar el territorio nacional.

8 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Keep the part of the  FMM that corresponds to the entry record  and is stamped  , as it is the evidence of your  regular stay in our country and will be  required upon leaving  the national territory.

Yes, the form itself is called a FMM. That's exactly what I said. The "tourist card" is a part of the FMM form, but only if it is marked as such. If FMM were synomymous with tourist card, then residents wouldn't be required to fill them out, and if the bottom half was synonymous with tourist card, then residents wouldn't have to turn that bottom part in to INM when they fly out of the country.

Ground beef is used to make spaghetti sauce. That doesn't mean that ground beef is spaghetti sauce. That is only one of its uses.

• Like 4

I think a lot of people who are snowbirds are scared to go home. Whether they have to fly or drive, it's a risk because of their age. Is there anything in place or a one time exception to the current rules and regulations that is possible? OR, on the flip side of that coin, what are the penalties for not leaving? I'm looking for options for snowbird friends and family. OR ???

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, the form itself is called a FMM. That's exactly what I said. The "tourist card" is a part of the FMM form, but only if it is marked as such. If FMM were synomymous with tourist card, then residents wouldn't be required to fill them out, and if the bottom half was synonymous with tourist card, then residents wouldn't have to turn that bottom part in to INM when they fly out of the country.

Ground beef is used to make spaghetti sauce. That doesn't mean that ground beef is spaghetti sauce. That is only one of its uses.

Sorry I'm not cooking today hahaha   

You can call it whatever you want. The Mexican government calls it an FMM  Multiple Immigration Form (FMM) Immigration Document 

Nowhere does INM refer to it as a "tourist card"

The form is used for statistical reasons, but is the only document that most Mexican visitors have. A Mexican citizen has a different statistical document called Formato Estadísticos para Mexicanos that we use when leaving and entering Mexico.

A foreigner who submits any of the following documents will not require a Mexican visa:  

Document proving permanent residence in Canada, the United States of America, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, any of the countries that make up the Schengen Area, as well as in the member countries of the Pacific Alliance (Chile, Colombia and Peru).

There is a  visa needed for residents of many other countries. 

So while there is a tax charged when traveling from the USA or Canada there is no "Tourist card"  only the FMM as no visa is required.

If you don't want to believe me fine. Here is the government website. Nowhere does it refer to a "tourist Card" or tarjeta tourista

https://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5533392&fecha=31/07/2018

Ley de Migracion:

"Calidad y característica de la LGP:
No Inmigrante turista, transmigrante, persona de negocios, 
visitante distinguido y en general todos los extranjeros 
documentados con FMM hasta por 180 días."

Google Translation:

"Quality and characteristic of the LGP:
Nonimmigrant tourist, transmigrant, business person,
distinguished visitor and in general all foreigners
documented with FMM for up to 180 days."

"Equalization of qualities and characteristics
The Migration Law and its Regulation equate the qualities and characteristics of the General Population Law in conditions
of stay (Sixth Transitory).
Foreigners do not have to do any paperwork to match their immigration status, and can request the replacement of
your document to obtain a document that indicates the condition of stay under the Migration Law.
Quality and characteristic of the LGP:"

A FMM INM immigration document is for some "Visitantes" - vistors to Mexico which includes tourists.

48 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Sorry I'm not cooking today hahaha   

You can call it whatever you want. The Mexican government calls it an FMM  Multiple Immigration Form (FMM) Immigration Document 

The form is used for statistical reasons, but is the only document that most Mexican visitors have. A Mexican citizen has a different statistical document called Formato Estadísticos para Mexicanos that we use when leaving and entering Mexico.

A foreigner who submits any of the following documents will not require a Mexican visa:  

Document proving permanent residence in Canada, the United States of America, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, any of the countries that make up the Schengen Area, as well as in the member countries of the Pacific Alliance (Chile, Colombia and Peru).

There is a  visa needed for residents of many other countries. 

So while there is a tax charged when traveling from the USA or Canada there is no "Tourist card"  only the FMM as no visa is required.

If you don't want to believe me fine. Here is the government website. Nowhere does it refer to a "tourist Card" or tarjeta tourista

https://www.dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5533392&fecha=31/07/2018

Google Translation:

From your link:

"Second. The Multiple Migration Form (FMM) that is disclosed by means of Annex 1 is the migration document that the National Institute of Migration can generate either in printed or electronic format, which allows foreigners to prove their regular immigration status in the country, under the following conditions of stay:

I. ...

II. ...

III. ...

The Multiple Immigration Form also allows the collection of statistical information on the income of foreigners holding non-ordinary passports or holders of a resident card, visitor for adoption or visitor for humanitarian reasons.

The National Institute of Migration may collect the statistical information contained in the FMM by electronic means.

The Multiple Immigration Form that the National Institute of Migration generates in electronic media can be printed by foreign persons, which will produce the same legal effects as the printed format.

Third. ...

I. Regional visitor card. The regional visitor card is issued to the foreign person who obtains the status of a regional visitor. This immigration document allows foreigners multiple entries and exits in the border region of the country, without exceeding seven calendar days and without permission to work."

You missed the ALSO used for statistical purposses. Not it's only use.

1 hour ago, AlanMexicali said:

Google Translation:

From your link:

"Second. The Multiple Migration Form (FMM) that is disclosed by means of Annex 1 is the migration document that the National Institute of Migration can generate either in printed or electronic format, which allows foreigners to prove their regular immigration status in the country, under the following conditions of stay:

I. ...

II. ...

III. ...

The Multiple Immigration Form also allows the collection of statistical information on the income of foreigners holding non-ordinary passports or holders of a resident card, visitor for adoption or visitor for humanitarian reasons.

The National Institute of Migration may collect the statistical information contained in the FMM by electronic means.

The Multiple Immigration Form that the National Institute of Migration generates in electronic media can be printed by foreign persons, which will produce the same legal effects as the printed format.

Third. ...

I. Regional visitor card. The regional visitor card is issued to the foreign person who obtains the status of a regional visitor. This immigration document allows foreigners multiple entries and exits in the border region of the country, without exceeding seven calendar days and without permission to work."

You missed the ALSO used for statistical purposses. Not it's only use.

Actually it was stated in the third paragraph. Statistics is the reason for the form. 

9 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

You have a reading comprehension problem. I put "tourist card" in quotes because people refer to the bottom half of the form which serves as a tourist's permission to be in the country for a set number of days in various ways- visa, tourist card, FMM.  I never said it was officially called a tourist card. I don't know why you attribute ideas or words to another poster that they never expressed.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, mudgirl said:

You have a reading comprehension problem. I put "tourist card" in quotes because people refer to the bottom half of the form which serves as a tourist's permission to be in the country for a set number of days in various ways- visa, tourist card, FMM.  I never said it was officially called a tourist card. I don't know why you attribute ideas or words to another poster that they never expressed.

I am sorry but actually my reading comprehension is excellent. Your original post which I replied to only had quotes around FMM. You were 100% correct that an FMM is not a synonym for a "tourist card" because there is no such thing. 

Actually the permission to be in the country  is stamped in your passport when you enter on a page marked "visas"  the number of days and your reason to be in Mexico are marked on the FMM which is a statistical document for non citizens,  just as Mexican citizens fill out a statistical document when leaving & returning.  

I believed your original post might have someone believing they needed an additional document called a "tourist card" so I posted a reply. 

Your original post:

"Obtain an FMM"?  If you are referring to a renewal of a tourist card, no, you have to leave to country and re-enter. An "FMM" is not a synonym for a tourist card, BTW. 

My original post:
Actually a "tourist card" form is officially an FMM  or an FMME 

Your reply:

Yes, the form itself is called a FMM. That's exactly what I said. The "tourist card" is a part of the FMM form, but only if it is marked as such.

My reply

You can call it whatever you want. The Mexican government calls it an FMM  Multiple Immigration Form (FMM) Immigration Document 

• Sad 2

LINEAMIENTOS para trámites y ... - Instituto Nacional de Migración

"... renewal and cancellation of migratory documents that prove a condition of stay.
Article 16. The beginning of validity of the migratory documents that prove a condition of stay, will be governed by the following:
I. The FMM that is issued in a place destined for the international transit of people, begins its
validity on the date the entry of the foreign person into the national territory is authorized,
through the immigration stamp printed on the immigration document
, and ends after the deadline
which is indicated in the temporary item.
 It does not allow multiple entrances and exits.
II. The visitor and resident cards begin their validity on the day of their issuance and end in the date expressly indicated in them. The date of issue of the immigration document does not necessarily coincides with the date of resolution of the procedure that originates..."

Silly argument when almost everyone reading this has experienced many FMTs, or/and FMM tourist cards and some for decades before getting a RT or RP.

Stamping passports is what is "only" needed?

Too bad most people have never had their passport stamped by INM.

Too bad most people living on the border use a US passport card to get FMMs which can't be stamped.

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Board rules say no personal attacks. Slainte39 seems to get off on me for some reason.  Gets annoying.

He get off by seeing that it bothers you. He's not worth your time, so don't waste it on him.

51 minutes ago, Hud said:

He get off by seeing that it bothers you. He's not worth your time, so don't waste it on him.

"They" can waste their time all they want, that´s no problem for me, but I´ll just let them argue with others in the future.

It´s a two way street, not worth my time either.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 10:41 PM, Ferret said:

I think a lot of people who are snowbirds are scared to go home. Whether they have to fly or drive, it's a risk because of their age. Is there anything in place or a one time exception to the current rules and regulations that is possible? OR, on the flip side of that coin, what are the penalties for not leaving? I'm looking for options for snowbird friends and family. OR ???

How did you come up with that conclusion.. ?   The snowbirds are getting out of town ASAP. Many who would have been here for another few weeks have already left if they were driving.. if they are flying they are scrambling to find a flight out of here...