Chapala.com Webboard

Citizenship / Naturalization police letters

Travelero

I see the SRE lists two police clearance letters required when applying for a carta de naturalización por residencia. However, reading through several posts here I don't see stories of board members going to apply for a state/municipal police clearance letter (carta de no antecedentes penales). Does SRE insist on receiving that letter along with the federal police background check?  I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can share their personal experience with this. For me, it would be a six hour round trip drive to get the letter from the office of the prosecutor fiscalia in the state capital.

You will need a police letter from the state you live in.. If you are in Chapala it is beside the public market for a Jalisco report.. Takes 5 minutes.

You will need a federal police report which you get only in Mexico City. It will take about 20-45 minutes depending on the number of people. At times attorneys have been able to get that without you appearing personally using a power of attorney. At other times you need to appear in person. Seems to change.....

You can take an early flight. Get the police report then go to SRE and do the process on the same day, and take a late flight home. If you are over 60 SRE will put you at the front of the line.  Also you will find SRE in Mexico follows the rules so you know what to expect.

17 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

You will need a police letter from the state you live in.. If you are in Chapala it is beside the public market for a Jalisco report.. Takes 5 minutes.

You will need a federal police report which you get only in Mexico City. It will take about 20-45 minutes depending on the number of people. At times attorneys have been able to get that without you appearing personally using a power of attorney. At other times you need to appear in person. Seems to change.....

You can take an early flight. Get the police report then go to SRE and do the process on the same day, and take a late flight home. If you are over 60 SRE will put you at the front of the line.  Also you will find SRE in Mexico follows the rules so you know what to expect.

Thank you kindly for the reply. I will definitely follow the advice to get the federal police report in CDMX and go to SRE there on the same day (then fly back). A couple of years ago I was forced to deal with an official who decided to add his own requirements to the published immigration law and I don't care to repeat that. There's a lot of value in finding the offices where the workers attempt to objectively follow the law and refrain from adding their own ideas about what should or should not be required.

I appreciate the info about the state police report too. I'll definitely get that.

Saludos

You are more than welcome. 

Some advice.

You will need original and 2 copies of each document. (for the federal police report there is a place to make copies directly across the street from SRE)     All copies of official documents should be in B&W. The exception is your passport. You need two color copies.  Be sure to copy every page including the  front  and back cover. Recommended a 125% size so easy to read. 

Your entry and exit statement for the last two years should match any stamps in the passport. Make a simple document with the dates. You do not need to total the days.  Contrary to some advice you do not need a printout from INM of those entries & Exits. 

If you are a US citizen do not abbreviate United States of America on the application (not a lot of space but do it)