Chapala.com Webboard

Major renovation

And[gasp!] we don't care about how it will effect resale price one bit. That's going to be our heirs' problem. Do most of you consider that[resale] at all? We are very excited by how different our casa is going to be and so is our contractor and not just because of $'s but my design has really intrigued him. Started yesterday and will take 12 weeks.

• Like 1

More than likely your redesign will be appreciated by future owners and therefore will justify a higher price, maybe not dollar for dollar but who cares 

I just did a major remodel of a house that had three 10ft x 12ft bedrooms with a low ceiling. Converted two of them to make a 15 x 18ft master bedroom with a 10ft ceiling. Lost one bedroom but I don't care.

Enjoy the process

9 hours ago, solajijic said:

Architects are always intrigued by your design.  It is your house make it the way you want.  HAve fun.  Good luck.

No architect involved just little old me. My contractor was more than intrigued and wants to show the finished fotos for future business. It's all exterior and is going to be totally different than the present and most facades around here. I researched features and facades from several colonial centros, even Alamos which is one of the lesser known colonials.

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

No architect involved just little old me. My contractor was more than intrigued and wants to show the finished fotos for future business. It's all exterior and is going to be totally different than the present and most facades around here. I researched features and facades from several colonial centros, even Alamos which is one of the lesser known colonials.

A question. Did you have a licensed architect or engineer sign for your building permit?  Since there is no such thing as a "contractor" in Mexico an architect or engineer needs to be "in charge" of the work for it to be legal. 

31 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

A question. Did you have a licensed architect or engineer sign for your building permit?  Since there is no such thing as a "contractor" in Mexico an architect or engineer needs to be "in charge" of the work for it to be legal. 

It's all cosmetic,no structural changes. And according to the ICLG site there are in fact contractors in Mexico. Aren't you a contractor?

58 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

No.   I do have an architect, an engineer, and an attorney in my family 

No structural changes= no permit needed. 

Just curious... What cedula registration type does your "contractor" have?  

I know there is no permit needed and I really don't care about cedulas because I have hired him and his crew before and have known him,his wife and kids for 13+ years. So you're retired from the "contracting" business now and spend most of your time fishing in Barra de Navidad? It's really interesting that my guy has a daughter who is a lawyer but wants to change to become a school teacher and 2 sons studying to become an architect and engineer. I am enjoying this reno and nothing is going to keep me from enjoying it from start to finish. Fish all you want-ja!

• Like 1

First hope you the all the best on your remodel. 

Not retired from the contracting, though I did build a house while in High school. Last time fishing in Barra Navidad was in 1975.

Still say there is no such thing as a "licensed contractor" in Mexico. Anyone can call themselves a contractor. 

People should be aware that a licensed Architect or Engineer should be used at some point. They are the only ones who can sign for a building permit. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

First hope you the all the best on your remodel. 

Not retired from the contracting, though I did build a house while in High school. Last time fishing in Barra Navidad was in 1975.

Still say there is no such thing as a "licensed contractor" in Mexico. Anyone can call themselves a contractor. 

People should be aware that a licensed Architect or Engineer should be used at some point. They are the only ones who can sign for a building permit. 

The only can sign for  a building's permit's is a Perito, can by a Arch or Enginner only if they are a Perito. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 3:31 PM, happyjillin said:

And[gasp!] we don't care about how it will effect resale price one bit. That's going to be our heirs' problem. Do most of you consider that[resale] at all? We are very excited by how different our casa is going to be and so is our contractor and not just because of $'s but my design has really intrigued him. Started yesterday and will take 12 weeks.

Good luck!! Upload pictures when finished!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...