Chapala.com Webboard

NOB banks and MX cell phone number

I’m looking to add my Telcel mobile number to my NOB bank accounts and tried to do so online, but the websites only allow a number in the NOB format (xxx-xxx-xxxx) and don’t allow me to add the MX country code. So I’m debating whether to call my banks’ customer service and ask if I can replace my NOB cell number with a MX cell number. Could this raise questions with the bank, even though I have a NOB address on my accounts? Could the banks close my accounts? Both my banks send me text alerts and I need a mobile# to receive those alerts. How have you handled this scenario?  I did search this forum and found one thread where someone said they use a Skype phone# with their NOB accounts (https://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/62299-banking-questions/). Skype or other VoIP phone number is an option but wanted to check if there are other options as well (besides maintaining a NOB mobile#)? Also wondering if adding a Mexican mailing address to my accounts will allow me to add my MX mobile#, but not sure I want to go that route. Thanks.

Many banks, not USAA, close accounts in the scenario you describe. I opened a Google Voice number for free and I get SMS's and transcribed voice mails sent to my email address. Try it, it works for me.

https://voice.google.com/about

• Thanks 1

This is such a total non issue when it can  so easily be resolved by getting a VOIP #  and have notifications sent to your e-mail. My bank is in Alberta and my # is the same area code as my branch. Why sweat the little things? Bonus,our friends and relatives phone us free. Tested  out Vonage Canada for 2 years before moving and have the same # we had then.

Thanks for the feedback. Signed up for a Google Voice number and one of my banks accepted the number. However, my other bank did not. Received a message "Please enter a valid mobile or landline phone number." Perhaps the bank has a way to determine if its a mobile vs. VoIP number? Then did a web search and found that there are some banks that reject Google Voice numbers (see https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32116401-VOIP-numbers-are-often-not-accepted-for-identity-verficiation).

Some banks and even Paypal also reject MagicJack numbers probably determined by the area code & prefix. The only way to get a text message on MagicJack is to install the optional app on a cell phone. Texts won't work with the dongle. Can't speak to how Google Voice works.

I have one bank that will email the code to log in, the other bank sends a text without the option for anything else except I assume a phone call.

I purchased a sim from AT&T usa and ported my Verizon number before I moved here. 

Works great and I have 15 gigs a month hot spot that I pay extra for which saved me muchas dinero at the resort in Manzanillo a couple of weeks ago.