Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex dropped off fiber optic modem, now what?

Telmex came to the door with no advance notice and gave us a fiber optic modem.  There are some instructions in Spanish but we really don't have a clue what to do with this thing. 

Now what?  What is involved in setting one of these up and how will it affect our phone number that is on the same line?  They haven't run any new lines to the house so we are copper at least from the street.

I received the same notice, followed by a second one saying they could find my house. To make a long story short I took my very old modem and power cord in 8 days ago and got a new modem. I installed same, which included connecting my telephone line and power cord and I was in business. Two days later my download speed went from about 15 MB/sec to almost 20 MB/sec and my upload speed was greatly increased from about 0.6 Mb/sec to 5.0 MB/sec.

So far it's working great

41 minutes ago, johanson said:

I received the same notice, followed by a second one saying they could find my house. To make a long story short I took my very old modem and power cord in 8 days ago and got a new modem. I installed same, which included connecting my telephone line and power cord and I was in business. Two days later my download speed went from about 15 MB/sec to almost 20 MB/sec and my upload speed was greatly increased from about 0.6 Mb/sec to 5.0 MB/sec.

So far it's working great

What did you have to do to hook it up?

44 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I would swap out the power supply, the input from Telmex, and any CAT-5 cables. Change your devices to the new WiFi's name and password.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

MC, you said you got a fiber modem. Pete uses a copper wire DSL modem. Apples and oranges.... field mouse vs mountain lion. How he hooks his DSL modem up will have no bearing on how a fiber modem would get hooked up.

Pete, did you get the same modem?  I don't see anything on the box about fiber optic.

19 minutes ago, RickS said:

MC, you said you got a fiber modem. Pete uses a copper wire DSL modem. Apples and oranges.... field mouse vs mountain lion. How he hooks his DSL modem up will have no bearing on how a fiber modem would get hooked up.

Well that's what the guy who brought it said it was.  They had our name written on it so I don't think it was a delivery error.  It reads on the box that it is a VDSL IAD modem and the brand is Ping Communication.  It is a lot bigger than the current one and has 14 lights on it.  On the box it seems to read you have to have a router or other external thing for wifi.

6 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Pete, did you get the same modem?  I don't see anything on the box about fiber optic.

Well that's what the guy who brought it said it was.  They had our name written on it so I don't think it was a delivery error.  It reads on the box that it is a VDSL IAD modem and the brand is Ping Communication.  It is a lot bigger than the current one and has 14 lights on it.  On the box it seems to read you have to have a router or other external thing for wifi.

VDSL is not fiber.  See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDSL

• Like 1

It's real simple to hook up; all you do is plug in the telephone line plug that you used on the old one into the back of the new modem/router and plug the power cord into the back of the modem and into your protected (ground fault interrupter) 127 volt electric outlet.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, johanson said:

It's real simple to hook up; all you do is plug in the telephone line plug that you used on the old one into the back of the new modem/router and plug the power cord into the back of the modem and into your protected (ground fault interrupter) 127 volt electric outlet.

Does it have wifi like the older one does?

Yes it does. It has a slightly stronger Wi-Fi than the old modem but still not that strong. But I am not complaining, not when there was no charge for the new modem/router and the monthly charges for infinitum are so low.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Thank you all very much for the help.  Hooked it up no problem.  Better download speed, upload about the same.

Things seem to work faster and the wifi is definitely stronger.

Gracias!

Quick.  If Telmex were to hand deliver a functional modem to my residence with better download speed and strong wifi then the first thing I would do is: 

Compra el boleto de loteria! ! !

Okay, I'm curious. A fibre ONT (modem) requires a fibre hookup. That is quite different from a POTS line (Plain Old Telephone System). With a typical TelMex modem, you are getting ADSL service, which comes in via the very standard telephone cable you've all seen for decades, and that is plugged into the modem. To get fibre access to a fibre ONT, an actual fibre optic cable must be run into the house and to the fibre box, which connects in a way that is completely different from a telephone line.

Shown here: phone line, fibre line. Further, fibre cable is extremely thin and round (generally). No way do cables or connectors even look similar, let alone connect to the other's modem. So, which is it you guys have?

fibre not connector.jpg

fibre optic connector.jpg

Then the answer is they did not give you a fibre modem; they upgraded your ADSL modem. Nothing wrong with that, as more and more people are getting faster speeds from TelMex without going fibre.

It's taking them decades, but they are improving their infrastructure little by little.

• Like 1