Chapala.com Webboard

Anni

1 hour ago, Anni D said:

I have an BOA and ML account and I’m moving to Ajijic. Can I use my account in Ajijic ?

As  Coons says, most people use a debit card from their US account(s) to take out pesos cash.... Mexico runs on cash mostly. This will get one the best exchange rate.  There are 'good' credit cards and bad... meaning some want to give you an inferior rate and also tack on other fees.  BOA is typically not know here as a good card.  Maybe the ML account would be best....ask them. Many people us a Charles Schwab account as they are very good.... and friendly to expats.

A credit card, VISA or Mastercard, can be used for outright purchases at some/many places these days but one wants to be really careful with their use in Mexico. But as I said, it is mostly a cash society.

2 hours ago, Anni D said:

I have an BOA and ML account and I’m moving to Ajijic. Can I use my account in Ajijic ?

I'm also with BofA and ML and there is a Scotia Bank ATM by Domino's that is user friendly to us  Just when you use it always remember to 'decline' the DCC conversion rate(lower left on the screen)and it might be in your better interest to ask your FA about coming here and the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act(FACTA).

https://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/business/49534-us-brokerage-firms-close-accounts-for-us-expats   

ragtop, does BofA charge any fees for that service? Do they refund the ATM fee that you were charged? Is their exchange rate 'similar' to the day's official exchange rate.  If not any/all of these things then using them consistently at Lakeside will run up the cost to access YOUR money.

Schwab and others will/do the things I asked about your BofA account.  And no, I don't even have an account with them....

Schwab also rebates back the alien ATM charges at the end of each month. Thone alien fees range from $16p at CI  Banco, $69 at HSBC (also decline the added exchange fee) and $83 at Bancomer. 

Also suggest talking to your bank and have them change the daily limit and also the transaction limit to the highest possible. 

21 hours ago, RickS said:

ragtop, does BofA charge any fees for that service? Do they refund the ATM fee that you were charged? Is their exchange rate 'similar' to the day's official exchange rate.  If not any/all of these things then using them consistently at Lakeside will run up the cost to access YOUR money.

Schwab and others will/do the things I asked about your BofA account.  And no, I don't even have an account with them....

Rick....(you do know who this is don't you?)And no, no ATM fee's and it costs nothing and if the DCC rate is declined I get something real close to the exchange rate of the day.

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

Schwab also rebates back the alien ATM charges at the end of each month. Thone alien fees range from $16p at CI  Banco, $69 at HSBC (also decline the added exchange fee) and $83 at Bancomer. 

Also suggest talking to your bank and have them change the daily limit and also the transaction limit to the highest possible. 

You can add Fidelity, and Etrade to the list that reimburse 100% of ATM fees worldwide