Chapala.com Webboard

Bonus to Construction Workers

Sorn

We hired a contractor to perform some renovations. He supplied and paid the workers. The crew was larger on some days, but two guys were onsite daily and did most of the work. The project, which took approximately seven weeks, is nearly finished. Would it be typical or expected of us to give a bonus (perhaps only to the two primary workers) and, if so, any ideas on the amount? Thanks.

• Like 1

I agree. I have supervised 100's of construction workers in Mexico. Giving the workers money is NOT the thing to do. We would never encourage that the clients give money to the workers.

If you really appreciate the job they have done then definitely it is OK to invite them to a special meal their last week of the job. If you decide to do so then it should be the food they enjoy.  If it's only 2 or 3 workers you could easily order something to go from a local restaurant. 

On the other hand we give money to workers who do a very good job. An example is the guys who fabricated two very large aluminum awnings from anodized aluminum. It was 9 days work. I gave the head guy $500.00 pesos and his helper $300.00 pesos. Normally getting anything installed we tip them for good work.

It depends on the situation but when you have a contractor who has a crew, he is the one who decides who can do the job and do most of it.. He knows his guys  , knows who can do what..I never bypass the boss and decides to give money to 2 people when there is a crew.. If you contract a couple of workers and love their jobs and give them estra money , that s up to you  but never mess with a crew whe you do not know the relationships and the way they are organized..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Toward the end of our major project, we took the contractor to dinner. We asked him if he would approve of our taking his maestro and a couple of key peoiple to dinner separately. He approved, and we took them to El Zapote, which they really enjoyed; as we always did.

When my building project came to an end, I told the guys I was going to throw them a little party. I gave them the choice of doing it on the afternoon of their last day of work or on the weekend so they could bring their families. They opted for the last day of work, saying if they brought their wives, they couldn't get drunk 🙂

Many of the wives also feel uncomfortable being invited to a gringo stranger's home. We might be under the impression that they'd like to see the finished product their husbands have been working on for months, but they don't- it's just a job that puts food on the table. 

• Like 2