Chapala.com Webboard

Recommendations for restaurants in Chapala

Mopsy

There is no lack of Mexican restaurants, only a lack of restaurants owned by Mexicans.

I suppose that sounds flip, so I will add that places like El Sombrero serve "Mexican food" at three times the price and apparently 1/5 the taste of any roadside stand. And a little restaurant on Colon opposite the plaza serves lovely Mexican food at several times the price of any typical Mexican restaurant.

But there are places like Memo's on Hidalgo in Ajijic that serve amazing Mexican food, lovingly prepared over long periods of time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Walk the streets, try whatever attracts you. Then, after 7PM, have dinner at a cenadurai for a true cena mexicana. Our favorite was cenaduria Elba, in Chapala centro, not far from the NE corner of the mercado publico, a block east, then turn north to Calle Zaragoza #343. It is really good. It is not visible in the daytime, with the doors rolled down.

We have found a shortage of good restaurants in Chapala.  All the restaurants with great views of the lake are overpriced with food quality not matching the price.  The Paris restaurant just south of the plaza is clean and not to bad but the Ajijic area has much better restaurants.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I said there is a lack of good Mexican food in Ajijic because the majority of the many restaurants here cater to diners from NOB. This is not my favorite food.

I love Teocintle before rush hour, after which when one needs a reservation or earplugs. Memo is also one of my favorites.

Chile Verde is not open in the evenings last I checked. Bad reviews of El Sombrero.

I was specifically asking for recommendations in Chapala. Thank you RVGringo.

• Like 1

I have posted this before. El Rey Taco. Go through Soriana parking lot, turn right, you will quickly come to a cross road, then turn left up the hill, and there it is. Owned by a large Mexican family with cooking in their blood, very reasonable prices, they have a full menu of Mexican and NOB specialties, such as grilled calf liver with onion gravy.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowUserReviews-g2371486-d5568952-r284399262-El_Rey_Taco-Chapala.html

• Like 2

MARIO'S, on Ramon Corona in San Antonio Tlayacapan, which is, just like Ajijic, a suburb of the City of Chapala, is a truly Mexican restaurant. It has a multi-year history, managed by a very capable Mexican family.  The bonus:  Excellent food; excellent service and excellent prices in a clean, well run and well respected local eatery.  It would be very difficult to find another Mexican restaurant, as good, anywhere else locally!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

cenaduria Elba,

One of the best hole in the walls, anywhere, with excellent pozole, eat-in or to go.   You know it is good when the locals are lined up.....

• Like 3

Guicho was high on our list too, especially for molcajetes mixtas. However, Cancun used to make the very best huachinango dorado al modo de ajo, but it began to fade a bit before we departed in 2014. Come to think of it, so did the free margaritas. Maybe that was the difference!

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 1:17 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Guicho was high on our list too, especially for molcajetes mixtas. However, Cancun used to make the very best huachinango dorado al modo de ajo, but it began to fade a bit before we departed in 2014. Come to think of it, so did the free margaritas. Maybe that was the difference!

¿ Cancun ?   Where?

Are you talking about Cozumel?   If so, you had better come back and get re-acquainted.   LOL  :D