Chapala.com Webboard

Register a Jalisco plated car in the US

If your car was built to conform to all (ALL) US standards, that will be a good start.  But you better be able to prove it.  I brought a car in from Canada and it took two days, much paperwork and phone calls, fees, duties, etc.  I can only imagine what it will be like bringing a Mexican car in.

2 hours ago, Ruth Baker said:

Interested in taking a Jalisco plated car to the US. I would like to register it there. Any information on this process will be appreciated. Thanks

The above conversation is valid IF what you want to do is permanently 'register' your Jalisco vehicle anywhere in the US. The odds of that happening is slim.

IF, however, what you want to do is just make a trip north, one CAN drive that Mexican vehicle into the US and keep it there for up to one year. In that respect there is nothing that one must do 'formally' to accomplish this.... just drive it in and to where you wish to go.

P.S.  One may ask, 'so how does the US know when your 1 year visit ends'?  I don't know of and have never heard the answer to this question since one doesn't 'register' it somewhere upon arrival. 

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

You have to satisfy the Feds before you even get started with the state.

https://themazatlanpost.com/2019/05/31/how-to-import-a-car-into-the-us/

In general since cars cost more here than in the U.S. it is a good idea to sell the car here and buy one there.

Having knowledge of the requirements... I have imported vehicles into the US from both Canada and Meixco..... that is about the best article I have ever seen written in lay terms. There are a couple of minor misstatements but overall a very good discussion. 

22 hours ago, RickS said:

The above conversation is valid IF what you want to do is permanently 'register' your Jalisco vehicle anywhere in the US. The odds of that happening is slim.

IF, however, what you want to do is just make a trip north, one CAN drive that Mexican vehicle into the US and keep it there for up to one year. In that respect there is nothing that one must do 'formally' to accomplish this.... just drive it in and to where you wish to go.

P.S.  One may ask, 'so how does the US know when your 1 year visit ends'?  I don't know of and have never heard the answer to this question since one doesn't 'register' it somewhere upon arrival. 

Driving a car around in the US with Jalisco plates is going to be noticed by the local police.  They're smarter than you think and after a while you'll be getting stopped with questions about the plates.  At the least.

As if they didn't have more important things to do. ;) I would keep my passport handy to show when you entered the U.S. and also a print out of the law allowing the car to "visit" for a year. And make sure you have the proper car insurance for the states you'll be hanging out in.

I suspect that you are right.... especially in some parts of the US.  BUT then what?  At least initially.... within the first year.... you are perfectly legal. Do they ask 'when did you come in with those plates'?  Then they write that date down in their calendar and see if they can find you 1 year plus 1 day after your arrival.

We were visiting in the USA with Jalisco plates and were never stopped. However, we once looked out the window and noticed a "policeman" in a car, just sitting behind our car. After awhile, I went out and asked if I could help him.  He complained that he could not 'run' our plates.  Actually, he was a DEA agent, and about to retire. Qw had a nice chat.....nada mas.

8 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

We were visiting in the USA with Jalisco plates and were never stopped. However, we once looked out the window and noticed a policeman in a car, just sitting behind our car. After awhile, I went out and asked if I could help him.  He complained that he could not 'run' our plates.  Actually, he was a DEA agent, and about to retire. Qw had a nice chat.....nada mas.

What ever happened to 'probable cause'???

I recently got stopped in Texas, within 150 miles of the border, driving a California plated vehicle. Just driving down the road well within the speed limit and no 'faulty equipment'. A white-haired caucasian male.  Turns out he had run my plate registration on his computer and learned that they had recently expired. Probable cause for the stop?  Your guess is as good as mine but he wears a badge which gives him power... if to no one but himself.

7 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I would keep my passport handy to show when you entered the U.S...

Entering the US with a Mexican car does not get entered in ones passport. I enter using a pass-card and that can't be stamped anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Entering the US with a Mexican car does not get entered in ones passport. I enter using a pass-card and that can't be stamped anyway.

They do scan the passport when entering, so I think its' in the system, but no stamp in the passport itself if I remember correctly.

I like to install a US dealer license plate frame on my Jalisco plates, they are cheap and legal and maybe just maybe will prevent being pulled over by a "curious" cop.

9 hours ago, addtocart said:

Driving a car around in the US with Jalisco plates is going to be noticed by the local police.  They're smarter than you think and after a while you'll be getting stopped with questions about the plates.  At the least.

I have driven in New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Thousands of miles and never stopped by police to ask questions about plates from Jalisco. Have relatives in Arkansas with Jalisco plates for 9 months, and never stopped either. 

8 hours ago, RickS said:

What ever happened to 'probable cause'???

I recently got stopped in Texas, within 150 miles of the border, driving a California plated vehicle. Just driving down the road well within the speed limit and no 'faulty equipment'. A white-haired caucasian male.  Turns out he had run my plate registration on his computer and learned that they had recently expired. Probable cause for the stop?  Your guess is as good as mine but he wears a badge which gives him power... if to no one but himself.

Expired plates are probable cause and illegal in every state. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

They do scan the passport when entering, so I think its' in the system, but no stamp in the passport itself if I remember correctly.

I like to install a US dealer license plate frame on my Jalisco plates, they are cheap and legal and maybe just maybe will prevent being pulled over by a "curious" cop.

Just a thought.....Wouldn't it be more curious to see Jalisco plates with a US dealer frame??  

1 minute ago, Mostlylost said:

Just a thought.....Wouldn't it be more curious to see Jalisco plates with a US dealer frame??  

Last time I got an oil change at a dealer up north they installed license frames without asking, I just left them on. Nothing suspicious about that 

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Expired plates are probable cause and illegal in every state. 

Of course I know that, but....The officer did NOT know the plates were expired until AFTER he ran my plates on his computer. No Probable Cause until AFTER he had run my plates without cause. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1