Chapala.com Webboard

Wizz/Izzi internet

Has anyone tried this company? We're sick to death of TelMex's inconsistent internet and are ready to try someone else. While our service is usually fast (for here), it's not consistent and the buffering factor is beyond acceptable.  We're in Chapala Haciendas, so I don't think Ilox is an option. Any ideas/suggestions, etc would be appreciated. Oh, and  we've already tried/are using range extenders, new modem, etc. TIA.

We have Wizz for internet and TV. Last week we upgraded to their 10 mb package but as of right now we are still at 4.2 per fast.com  . I wouldn't be surprised at all if the speed does not increase even though we paid for it.  Occasional outages but not frequent.

Have you checked into this?   Plan 2, for 399 pesos, gives true 10 meg speed, 5 devices to connect, and more bandwidth per month (100 GB) than most can use.

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/planes-de-renta/tarifas-y-opciones/internet-en-tu-casa

• Thanks 1

How is the Telcel cellphone signal in Chapala Haciendas or more specifically at/inside your home? If it is good you could consider the Telcel 'Internet en Su Casa' offering. One buys an in-house cellphone modem that then 'rebroadcasts using wifi' in the house. 

It was discussed a year ago here.....

• Like 1

Android users can also take advantage of this handy tool, that allows you to select between WiFi signal and Cell signal instantly, to see the signal strength. It is called, ironically, Signal Strength, by Lakshman. Get it on the Google Play store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cls.networkwidget

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ea93105 said:

We have Wizz for internet and TV. Last week we upgraded to their 10 mb package but as of right now we are still at 4.2 per fast.com  . I wouldn't be surprised at all if the speed does not increase even though we paid for it.  Occasional outages but not frequent.

Update. They changed the modem this morning and now we are at  9.8 MB, moving up 

Yes, I just got a phone call in Spanish from the cable company, setting up an appointment for tomorrow  afternoon for a technician to come out and upgrade my modem and doubling the speed from 5 to 10 MB/sec without a price increase in fact, if I understood correctly, I will be paying slightly less each month for this new service.

Over the past six months, we've had Wizz's 10mb package at two different homes in Riberas. Our actual speed runs between 8mb and 10mb (it was 9.21mb when I just checked). Obviously, that's not blazing. However, it's only been out twice and each time was less than an hour or two. The only downside for our applications is that large torrent files can take a while. Streaming (e.g., Netflix) and general internet usage is seamless. Good luck with whatever you choose!

UPDATE to my post above.  No one showed up from Izzi for my afternoon appointment. Oh well, somos en Mexico. :)  At least my Telmex speeds have increased this week. I was getting about 16 MB/sec down by about 0.5 up. Thanks to a new Modem provided to me last Friday and a speed upgrade I am getting 19.6 down by 5 up

Look at those figures carefully I was getting about 16 down and now I am getting 19.6 down. However my upload speed has increased by a factor of 10.  I was getting about 0.5 up now I am getting 5 up. That is 10 times faster :) 

40 minutes ago, johanson said:

UPDATE to my post above.  No one showed up from Izzi for my afternoon appointment. Oh well, somos en Mexico. :)  At least my Telmex speeds have increased this week. I was getting about 16 MB/sec down by about 0.5 up. Thanks to a new Modem provided to me last Friday and a speed upgrade I am getting 19.6 down by 5 up

Look at those figures carefully I was getting about 16 down and now I am getting 19.6 down. However my upload speed has increased by a factor of 10.  I was getting about 0.5 up now I am getting 5 up. That is 10 times faster :) 

How did you get a new modem from them?

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Pete. It's "estamos en Mexico" meaning we are in Mexico.

Somos de Mexico = we are from Mexico

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

How did you get a new modem from them?

I had a very very old modem and they messaged me that I needed a new one and that it was on the way, then  sent a message which stated they  did not know where I lived and then when I dropped by the office to figure out what was happening, they told me to bring my modem, to include the power cord to the  office and they would give me a new one. I was totally shocked, and even more so when they increased my internet speeds a couple of days after I installed the new modem.

53 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Pete. It's "estamos en Mexico" meaning we are in Mexico.

Somos de Mexico = we are from Mexico

Thanks for the correction. I only kind of sort of speak Spanish and I often make mistakes.