Chapala.com Webboard

I know dog owners love their dogs, so please read this.

Two things about me. 1) I am a dog lover, 2) Right now, I have a lot of time on my hands, and 3) I am an avid researcher on just about anything that crosses my mind and interests and may concern me..

After we paid over $1,500 for a 7kg bag of alleged "SENIOR" dog food at a vet's office, in a fancy, shiny bag, I did some research.

I just googled "Are fancy packaged dog foods better?"

I suggest you do the same:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNQhcxhhm1ANyNzQlfhhX-EJdNfBeQ%3A1582987631548&ei=b3laXsf8IMi4tQWbu63wDg&q=best+dog+foods+on+the+market&oq=are+fancy+bagged+dog+foods+any+better+than+simple%2C+plain+bags&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i71l4.0.0..666125...0.2..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.hMA9mbAmLsI

Look under the section, "PEOPLE ALSO ASK." You will find things such as this:

"Hill's Pet Nutrition is facing the wrath of dog owners who say their pets became ill or died after eating canned food recalled nationwide for elevated levels of vitamin D that can poison a pooch.February 8, 2019. There are several good takeaways from what you will find.

You can also Google: "Dog food recalls"  and see who and why.

Bottom line IMO: For all the fancy packaging and high prices, for the companies, its almost always about the bottom line. Just because something is in writing, don't think it's always true. 

I hope this helps some people and dogs.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

On 3/4/2020 at 5:15 PM, virgo lady said:

If you love your dog, then don't feed it dog food.

I can assure you I love my dog and she's always gotten dog food. I occasionally cook something up for her, but not often. She's 12 years old and has never been sick a day in her life.

after I changed my dogs diet, from good human food to Hills dry food ( and I add some lean ground beef ), her health improved a lot, and she is almost 15 now.  Not going back to human food ( although Hills is not cheap )

• Like 1

human food doesnt always contain all the necessary vitamins, that our pets need ( I learnt that the hard way )

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 6:51 AM, Guiness said:

We have fed Kirkland Lamb and Rice for over 15 years to many dogs, excellent food, never had any issues, dog all thrive

My dog wouldn't touch that Lamb and Rice one. I had to give it away. It's weird, because she liked the Chicken and Rice just fine. But then, I don't like lamb, either😜

Well, I feed ours food that I prepared (meat & veg). Despite using quality dog food, one of them is severely allergic to most pet foods because of the additives, grains, etc, and two others have slight allergies. After removing nearly every treat and anything with chicken (local is loaded with hormones), they're thriving. I don't want my allergic dog to have to take anymore cortisone shots (he's had 2) because of the side effects. At the time, having him not scratch his body raw was an improvement, but no solution. If you Google, there are all sorts of vet instructions on how to prepare a meal that meets most requirements. Considering these pooches were rescues and once eating God-knows-what, I'm pretty sure that the home prepped meals are an improvement...even with my cooking skills! 🤭