Chapala.com Webboard

TelMex Fiber w/Streaming?

Anyone have the Telmex Fiber Optics and a streaming TV service? Are you getting buffering issues? Just got ours today and yup, buffering for us and most of my customers with TelMex Fiber! Not a happy camper! Solutions ... anyone?

15 hours ago, TheGadgetsGuy said:

Anyone have the Telmex Fiber Optics and a streaming TV service? Are you getting buffering issues? Just got ours today and yup, buffering for us and most of my customers with TelMex Fiber! Not a happy camper! Solutions ... anyone?

Yes, and after four months of 0 cooperation from Telmex, the issue is (appears to be...it's only been 14 hours) resolved. We had fiber optic installed through Telmex at the beginning of November. We have speed...great speed and no issue with computers (wireless) making connection. The problem was TV streaming boxes buffering...consistent and persistent...so that we could only view maybe 45 seconds of tv then they would buffer for 60, on and on. We had a tech come and hard-wire/cable each tv, as some of those signals--while strong at the modem--were crappy to the tvs. That gave us speed, but still the buffering. We had Telmex out here (reluctant techs is being generous) several times and they blamed the box--all but a guy in Mexico who said that the packets of information looked like they were hanging somewhere before transmitting to us. We tried our box contact's box--and the boxes of friends that function perfectly well in their homes--did the same thing at our house, but when switching off my internet to Telcel 4G the issue did not appear, so not a box issue.

The tech we hired to hard-wire (info below) spent hours on the line with Telmex (two days solid plus parts of 3 other days, including the cabling), and Telmex refused to send out another router, which seemed to be the only unverified possibility, since we get signal and speed from the new fiber optic cables. After four missed appointments (including two full day waits: 8-8 window) Mr. Charming came yesterday and I had my tech meet him. "it's not the modem, it's the box," I heard him say over and over.

GUESS FRICKIN' WHAT????? It was a DEFECTIVE modem.After re-cabling, redoing passwords on all my gazillion devices, and rehooking up soundbars, I was in business and stayed up till 2 am catching up on my shows. We did drop a signal around 1 am but it went back up.

If you've tried all the above, I'd try shrieking for a new modem. The info on my tech person: Oscar Castañeda 33 2162 6205. Young, teaches computer skills at the Prepa in Chapala, things logically and sequentially, punctual and (gasp! WhatsApps you when he is on the way) and is bilingual. If you call him, tell him JROD recommended him highly.

PS Telmex local "techs" named Edgar and Juan José were worthless and cost me $$$$ and 3 months.

• Thanks 2

That's pretty interesting, jrod. I've had this same fight with TelMex numerous times: bad modems. It is particularly difficult when everything else seems to work fine. I first discovered this years ago when a customer with two Apple products and two other products could only get WiFi on the other products. The Apple products refused to connect. Everything we did led to the same conclusion: something wrong with Apple WiFi. However, he took it upon himself (much to my chagrin) to go and exchange his modem (you could still do that in those days). And voila. Problem solved.

I don't know what causes this "memory loss" in a modem, but I've seen it dozens of times now. Even most of my customers remain convinced that it can't possibly be the modem, until I bring in a backup modem I keep with me and the problem fixes itself. And that seems to be the only way to convince TelMex techs: "I used a new modem and it fixed the problem".

It's extremely frustrating at every step, and you are to be commended for hanging in there. Eventually I hope to have a spare iLox modem as well to carry with me on housecalls... but of course I don't even have an installation myself yet.

And I was one of the customers that ComputerGuy helped. I got the usual run around with the Ajijic office giving me a SECOND dud modem and when I went back in with that one, they reached over the desk to give me a modem THAT I JUST OBSERVED HAD BEEN RETURNED. No way! They are not checking the functionality of modems just recycling them to other customers. Be warned! I ended up buying two modems on Mercado Libre and both work like a charm.

The short story is that, if you've checked everything else, get CG in with a modem that he KNOWS works to confirm your suspicions. Then, fuggedabout modems from the Ajijic office. Call the 1-800 number and ask a tech there what brand and model number they suggest to use (for DSL or fibre) and go buy your own Telmex modem(s) from a reputable seller on Mercado Libre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

That's pretty interesting, jrod. I've had this same fight with TelMex numerous times: bad modems. It is particularly difficult when everything else seems to work fine. I first discovered this years ago when a customer with two Apple products and two other products could only get WiFi on the other products. The Apple products refused to connect. Everything we did led to the same conclusion: something wrong with Apple WiFi. However, he took it upon himself (much to my chagrin) to go and exchange his modem (you could still do that in those days). And voila. Problem solved.

I don't know what causes this "memory loss" in a modem, but I've seen it dozens of times now. Even most of my customers remain convinced that it can't possibly be the modem, until I bring in a backup modem I keep with me and the problem fixes itself. And that seems to be the only way to convince TelMex techs: "I used a new modem and it fixed the problem".

It's extremely frustrating at every step, and you are to be commended for hanging in there. Eventually I hope to have a spare iLox modem as well to carry with me on housecalls... but of course I don't even have an installation myself yet.

CG is it possible to substitute one's own better quality modem for the TelMex one?  Specifically one with better WiFi?  What would you recommend and where to get?  Do you do setups?

26 minutes ago, NLU said:

I don't see asking Telmex for recommendation.

So, what model, etc of modem should one buy from Mercado Libre.

You are asking the techs at the 1-800 number in Mexico City. They gave me a choice of two modems and I bought both on Mercado Libre. Those guys are good! I can honestly say that Telmex is pretty damn on the ball EXCEPT for the office here.

• Like 2

Telmex just messaged me and told me it's time to upgrade my (very old) modem. When it didn't arrive me they messaged me again asking me to call a phone #.  Only being so-so with my Spanish, I dropped by the Telmex office and was told to bring in my old modem and the power cord to their office for the new one. I will be picking it up later today.  More later

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

CG is it possible to substitute one's own better quality modem for the TelMex one?  Specifically one with better WiFi?  What would you recommend and where to get?  Do you do setups?

Only a very experienced network expert would be able to replace the TelMex modem with a third-party modem. My son is one of those experts, and it took him 3 days to do it. After one necessary reboot a few days later, all the settings reverted and it no longer worked.

The short answer is no. BUT yes, you can use a third-party router instead. However, I recommend against it, because the current crop of TelMex modems have as strong a signal as you are going to get from just about every standard router under $150 US. At which point, it makes sense to switch to mesh system. And that's another story.

Meantime, I have an inventory of excellent third-party routers to use with the iLox modems, most of which have pretty poor WiFi. Some people with newer iLox modems are reporting better signal distance.

Just today I installed an "extender", halfway between the TelMex modem in an office, and the living room, where a new large-screen "smart" TV could barely even see the WiFi signal, and now they are watching Netflix with no issues.

On a related note, for those with really bad Infinitum service, the Telcel wireless cell modem can be a good option if fiber is not available or too $$$.

Telmex - not Telcel -  "can" provide one at n/c....IF one goes in and makes a good enough case, that the Infinitum is really bad.... thus saving the 2500 pesos purchase price.

The setup process is a bit of a pain, the registration does not work via a Windows PC, one must use a cell phone, found this out the hard way....

However, it does work well, serves 5 devices, has both WiFi and ethernet connections, is only 399 pesos / month, and 10 meg download speed is the minimum, so streaming video is no issue at all.    Uploads are more than fast enough as well.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Its not that big of a deal to swap out one of the Telmex modems with a different brand, all you need to know is your username and password, if you don't have that you can call the 800 number and get it from them.

After that you just need  VCI and VPI settings (which are pretty standard) which you can find on the net and your good to go. I have set up a few different brands, mostly Tplink, and Dlink and they do have a few configuration options that seem to improve connectivity, personally my feeling on this is why pay for a modem when you can get a replacement from Telmex.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, southernguy said:

Its not that big of a deal to swap out one of the Telmex modems with a different brand, all you need to know is your username and password, if you don't have that you can call the 800 number and get it from them.

After that you just need  VCI and VPI settings (which are pretty standard) which you can find on the net and your good to go. I have set up a few different brands, mostly Tplink, and Dlink and they do have a few configuration options that seem to improve connectivity, personally my feeling on this is why pay for a modem when you can get a replacement from Telmex.

You will get lots of customers. Enjoy.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, johanson said:

Telmex just messaged me and told me it's time to upgrade my (very old) modem. When it didn't arrive me they messaged me again asking me to call a phone #.  Only being so-so with my Spanish, I dropped by the Telmex office and was told to bring in my old modem and the power cord to their office for the new one. I will be picking it up later today.  More later

My old modem was OK but had a weak WiFi signal. The new Telmex modem has a much stronger WiFi signal and at 4 to 5 meters, my WiFi signal is almost the same as my wired signal. Thank you Telmex

• 2 weeks later...

So, it does NOT appear to be a modem issue. It appears to be a routing issue that does not get resolved by trying multiple VPNs and multiple IPTV services. All with the same exact problem ... play 45 secs, buffer 30, play 45, buffer 30.

We have a ticket opened with TelMex, but they won't escalate it to the next level until we can get 5-10 more cases opened with customers experiencing the exact same problem.

Does anyone else have Telmex Fiber with an IPTV provider that is having the exact same issue? I can send Oscar the technician to your home to call and open a ticket for you with Telmex.

On 2/27/2020 at 9:38 PM, Mostlylost said:

No buffering for me before Telmex fiber. No buffering after Telmex fiber was installed.  2 TV's on 2 different (Netflix & Prime) plus 2 cell phones, camera system,1 ipad and 1 laptop and Homesmart running lighting all connected at same time.

No problems with Netflix & Prime or on-demand either, it is isolated to Live TV Channels from an IPTV service.

I've recently had telmex fiber installed. Great speed BUT I see the buffering problem when I try to use the "live TV" streaming services. Strangely, there is no such problem with the "legit" services such as Amazon Prime Video, Acorn TV, etc.

Makes one think that telmex is selectively making those services unusable....?

No. They could care less. You are seeing over-loaded streaming servers, a very typical situation these days. Netflix, Prime and the like have mastered the art of data delivery. These other guys just use a bunch of computers, and never enough storage or strength.

Edit: And yes, since a VPN can easily cut incoming/outgoing speeds by 50% or more, that exacerbates the problem.

I changed from NordVPN to Strong VPN on my Asus-WRT router and the buffering problem went away. I tried both VPNs on the Fire TV apps and they did not eliminate the buffering; Strong VPN running on the router solved the problem.

9 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

No. They could care less. You are seeing over-loaded streaming servers, a very typical situation these days. Netflix, Prime and the like have mastered the art of data delivery. These other guys just use a bunch of computers, and never enough storage or strength.

Strange that I never had the problem until I switched from DSL to fiber...

I wish I had an answer. I am not an expert on fibre or its packet management. I do know that TelMex seems to have a problem providing decent speeds even with fibre. There is some suggestion that when old copper wire is involved in part when getting fibre to the home, that issues occur there.