Chapala.com Webboard

Restaurant El Sombrero - Ajijic

Carnivore

My wife and I ate there the other night (taco special Wednesday - 3 for $95 pesos).  I didn't want to be totally unfair, hence my opening post, but each of the two responses to the post support my own conclusion - which was totally supported by my wife who simply said: "Please let's not waste another evening out.....this restaurant isn't a restaurant and was  totally ridiculous!"

Overpriced tacos.  Cold tortillas and only warm innards with totally insufficient sauces and the expected "dressings" that one expects in Mexico.  Worst tacos we've experienced in our many years in Ajijic.  Almost no customers and the slowest service in town. (Almost 1/2 hour waiting for our tacos). No management present.  Wine:  $60 pesos for a 4 or 5 ounce glass of  Italian Merlot that's almost always available at Costco for $60 pesos a bottle.  $30 pesos for what was to have been lemonada but it simply consisted of mineral water and ice cubes in a totally unsuitable 8 ounce highball glass with a thin slice of lime.  Conclusion:  Must be seeking the Guadalajara crowd on the weekends.....hence the totally Spanish website.  Would never return under any circumstance.  Almost any of the taco stands that operate in Ajijic in the evenings offer far better tacos at half the price!  (Tacos on a scale of 1 to 10.........maybe a 2!)  If this restaurant survives it will require a miracle!

Note:  I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the younger of the two floor service staff present definitely tried hard.....but the kitchen and the lack of assistance from the older of the two (who might have been the manager) worked against his efforts!  (At one point, when I went to the washroom, I noticed that a woman who, from her dress, appeared to be from the kitchen was on her cell phone in the parking lot behind the restaurant.)  With the obvious lack of staff she might have been the only kitchen employee........ hence the ridiculous delay in delivery of our food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WE like El Sombrero.    My wife and I both go to this restaurant. Have been for the last 4 months, every week or two or three.  Prices are higher, but the quality is good. .  We prefer the Big Burrito and the Enchalidas with green sauce. We like  the wait staff, .  I like to drink a beer and talk  before dinner, so i have not noticed a too long of a wait . Lunch on Friday is 25% off . Bands on Tues and Sat, 

Richard H. 

Any Mexican cook who can manage to come up with a bad taco really should throw in the towel. One of the things I've always liked about travelling through Mexico is that you can stop at almost any little roadside place and get some decent food, unlike taking a road trip through the US or Canada.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ate there again because that is where our friends wanted to go.  Same experience:  Slow and erratic service, food came out cold.  I ordered fajitas, it took another 10 minutes to get the flour tortillas that go with it.  Really, I can't figure out the attraction of this place.  It sure isn't food, service or price.

• Like 4