Chapala.com Webboard

Social Security Scam

This morning at about 9 30 am  I received a call on our Magic jack line . An automated caller identified the source as the Social Security Administration .calling to let me know my S / S   number had been associated with criminal activity and my account was about to be frozen . An agent would be on the line momentarily to discuss my problem....moments later the  “ agent “ came on the line ....I told him I had no intention of discussing any supposed problem without identity verification  . I asked for a phone and agent number saying I would call back...instant click .  My point and warning  is that after 30 years in the restaurant business  dealing with these agencies  SSA..IRS...etc.. they never call you ... they just send you hate mail..... continually!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Mostly Lost....maybe you should stay permanently lost ...my post was just meant to warn anyone without scam experience of the possibilities .. 20 years....?  new internet scams evolve by the day ....to be forewarned is to be forearmed .

Sorry  I said you were lucky  Thought is was a positive. Why get personal and insulting????????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Several years ago there was a scam where you placed a For Sale in in Craigslist. You would then get a reply that said the sender wanted to buy your "item." 

I was told I would get a company/cashier check but it would be over the amount I wanted and for me to please sent the over payment to the "buyer," etc. I was told to wait until the check cleared before sending the over-payment.

Of course, I knew this was a scam but I said OK. I now have several checks, all forgeries, to put in a frame, and a story to tell anyone who asks.

20 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Because silence is GOLDEN   ..   20 years ago?  …..the irresistible urge to comment.  :D

So you make a personal attack???  by the way phone scams have been common in the US since the 80's  So yes the OP is lucky it was the first experience. 

P.S. read your own comment does it apply to you>

On 2/26/2020 at 9:21 PM, Ian Greenwood said:

This morning at about 9 30 am  I received a call on our Magic jack line . An automated caller identified the source as the Social Security Administration .calling to let me know my S / S   number had been associated with criminal activity and my account was about to be frozen . An agent would be on the line momentarily to discuss my problem....moments later the  “ agent “ came on the line ....I told him I had no intention of discussing any supposed problem without identity verification  . I asked for a phone and agent number saying I would call back...instant click .  My point and warning  is that after 30 years in the restaurant business  dealing with these agencies  SSA..IRS...etc.. they never call you ... they just send you hate mail..... continually!

Last year I received the same type call.  After I hung up I called the real Social Security Office just to make sure.  They said yes my area of the country was receiving these scam calls at the moment.  I sale quite a few things on Craigslist.  Every time I list, I get at least one call from out of state saying they will buy the item and send me a check.  Maybe I ought to start getting these checks and framing them like Eric Blair.  You never know though.  A year ago I received an offer for a restaurant from a person in Argentina.  They had never seen the restaurant but sent the money to the closing company.  I kept waiting for the deal to fall through but it didn't.  They did not show up for closing and I think they are probably just laundering money.  I have heard they were not allowed in USA because they are arms dealers.