Chapala.com Webboard

Help with homemade bread

ManxMan

I'm new to baking bread and my bread isn't that tasty although still better than store bought. It's okay but not what I had hoped for. I'm using a basic recipe with Tradi-Pan yeast and white or wheat flour that I get at Wal-Mart.

Anyone have any recommendations on how I can improve the flavor? All suggestions welcome - even a good recipe would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have made tons of bread in my life.  Haven't done much since I have moved to Mexico though.  If you are new at this, an excellent site is Breadtopia.  Make the no knead bread.  If you like european type bread, this is for you.

I do want to add that I have NEVER used a bread machine.  To me, it is a useless piece of equipment.  If you plan to do this with any regularity, then an excellent mixer (with a break hook) is a worthy expenditure.  That is, IF, you want the help of a machine.

• Thanks 1

When in Chapala, we made no adjustments for altitude and the bread was just fine. However, it is crucial that the kneading be done properly. When you tire of kneading, just do it some more anyway. developing that elasticity is crucial to good texture and flavor. Proofing should also be done in a warm, still place, like a cupboard, idle microwave, closed box, etc.

We use bakers yeast, purchased in 1 lb blocks and kept in the freezer. It lasts and lasts, and is always on hand, as it can be spooned out even when frozen. It is much more active than those little packets, which are often nearly dead.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

When in Chapala, we made no adjustments for altitude and the bread was just fine. However, it is crucial that the kneading be done properly. When you tire of kneading, just do it some more anyway. developing that elasticity is crucial to good texture and flavor. Proofing should also be done in a warm, still place, like a cupboard, idle microwave, closed box, etc.

We use bakers yeast, purchased in 1 lb blocks and kept in the freezer. It lasts and lasts, and is always on hand, as it can be spooned out even when frozen. It is much more active than those little packets, which are often nearly dead.

Where do you purchase your bakers yeast?

We are still using some that is more than five years old, and has been frozen for most of that time.  It remains alive and active.  We don't make bread very often any more, but we do make, and freeze, pizza dough. Can't stand frozen pizzas from the store, or even pizza from the usual delivery sources.  Homemade is so much better, and very easy with frozen pizza dough balls on hand.