Chapala.com Webboard

Corned Beef to cook

thevalerieleigh

Hi all,

As St. Patrick's Day approaches, I'm searching for fresh corned beef ready to pop into the oven and bake.  Does anyone know a source?

Thanks,

Val Jones  :)

GREAT!  They have it in the uncooked refrigerated meat section?

Which Costco do you use and is it seasonal?

Many thanks,

Val  :)

15 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

Hi all,

As St. Patrick's Day approaches, I'm searching for fresh corned beef ready to pop into the oven and bake.  Does anyone know a source?

Thanks,

Val Jones  :)

The best way to do it is leave it in the bag and simmer it in water for about 3-4 hours. Heavenly, and it is tender and keeps all its flavour That sliced packaged really has no comparison to REAL corned beef.

The corned beef and pastrami I've had from Costco and SuperLake are poor facsimiles, compared to "back home". As if an alien with a replicator tried to make something that he had never tasted. And I am another who has never seen a brisket for sale at these places.

• Haha 1

Yes, Happyjillin, this is EXACTLY what I'm searching for.  Based on comments, it's sounding like this doesn't exist here.  Oh dear....

Does anyone else have ideas if I could buy the cut of meat and try to do the spices myself?

Thanks,

Val

I would think someone like Cesar at Tony's Butchery, or another butchery, would be able to order it for you. It would be a minimum size order, I imagine (in other words, "I probably can't sell it otherwise, so you'll have to buy a minimum cut of X kilos". For example, every so often I want to do crispy pork, which calls for pork belly, and I have to buy 2 or 3 kilos.

15 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I would think someone like Cesar at Tony's Butchery, or another butchery, would be able to order it for you. It would be a minimum size order, I imagine (in other words, "I probably can't sell it otherwise, so you'll have to buy a minimum cut of X kilos". For example, every so often I want to do crispy pork, which calls for pork belly, and I have to buy 2 or 3 kilos.

I tried at Tony's about 3 years running and he just does not want to do it anymore. Smitty's and Ricks ran 1-2 kilos. If you want to make your own have someone cut you a brisket with fat at least 1 kilo. Google "how to make corned beef". The recipe that you want calls for at least 7 days of brining and the spices used are pickling spices. then simmer in a baggy complete with the spices and some of the brine water like i suggested earlier. Rick is on this board so maybe you could pick his brain as to how he did it to prepare it for cooking. His was excellent.

Got it!  Yes, I'll stop by and ask Rick and see if he'll help me out.  Many thanks and I'm glad I asked early enough to try and do this myself.

Cheers!

Val :)

49 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I meant getting the brisket, not the finished corned.

Lo siento. Yes any butcher can supply the brisket cut. To make sure they understand and don''t have a schematic of a steer I  take a print of that and a foto of the cut to show what I want. Crispy pork sounds good. I've been thinking about trying that. Where do you get your belly with the skin still attached that's easy to get to as I am somewhat disabled.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2020 at 8:41 AM, happyjillin said:

This is what she wants and what I really lust for too,not the sliced package. I REALLLYY like the fatty one! Smitty and Rick used to make these  and Tony doesn't do them anymore either.

corned beef.jpg

corned beef 2.jpg

I may have a source but briskets are pretty big and the person that brines it does a whole one. I only want 1to1-1/2 kilos. Anybody else want in for  about that size which is what Rick used to sell. You can freeze it and I was told the brine prep takes the guy about 10 days.

Treat the   “ fresh brisket “ just like the “. corned “ .....braise it slow and low  covered  ,   with lots of vegetables   spices ,  a little stock  and ,perhaps some barley....then...mushrooms and fresh herbs  to finish ...can be just as good as corned.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Treat the   “ fresh brisket “ just like the “. corned “ .....braise it slow and low  covered  ,   with lots of vegetables   spices ,  a little stock  and ,perhaps some barley....then...mushrooms and fresh herbs  to finish ...can be just as good as corned.

Not when you're used to the good stough on  Spadina Avenue in Toronto,Ben's in Montreal or even Safeway uncooked but pickled in Edmonton .on rye bread with a kosher dill on the side not Vlasic alleged kosher dill. Corned beef ain't a stew.

13 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Not when you're used to the good stough on  Spadina Avenue in Toronto,Ben's in Montreal or even Safeway uncooked but pickled in Edmonton .on rye bread with a kosher dill on the side not Vlasic alleged kosher dill. Corned beef ain't a stew.

We've been ordering beef brisket from Tony and now, since his retirement, his son Caesar for the last 16 years.  We buy our saltpetre (Potassium Nitrate) (known locally in the butcher trade as "pink nitrate" or "pink salt") in Chapala (tiny corner store that sells spices which located about one or two blocks from the central market on the same side of the street (Francisco I. Madero) as you proceed towards the Central bus station).  We cure the brisket totally submerged in a solution of water, saltpetre, pickling spices and salt for 10 days. Put a heavy weight on the meat to keep it submerged and if possible keep the meat in a single piece.  Our finished corn beef is identical the the best we've had in Toronto, Montreal and New York and what we have (purposely) left over after St. Patricks Day, we slice, pre-package and freeze so that over the next 3 to 4 months we continue to have great corned beef sandwiches.

The Costco product is nowhere close!

20 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

We've been ordering beef brisket from Tony and now, since his retirement, his son Caesar for the last 16 years.  We buy our saltpetre (Potassium Nitrate) (known locally in the butcher trade as "pink nitrate" or "pink salt") in Chapala (tiny corner store that sells spices which located about one or two blocks from the central market on the same side of the street (Francisco I. Madero) as you proceed towards the Central bus station).  We cure the brisket totally submerged in a solution of water, saltpetre, pickling spices and salt for 10 days. Put a heavy weight on the meat to keep it submerged and if possible keep the meat in a single piece.  Our finished corn beef is identical the the best we've had in Toronto, Montreal and New York and what we have (purposely) left over after St. Patricks Day, we slice, pre-package and freeze so that over the next 3 to 4 months we continue to have great corned beef sandwiches.

The Costco product is nowhere close!

My wife and I both like to cook,but making corned beef  is not our thing especially since our fridge is too small anyway. We only use it in sandwiches. I may have found a source and they're delivering a  1 to 1 1/2 chunk to me on May 12. costco and all the small places around here sell that non corned beef fake in a package sliced-yuch! There ain't even any fat on it.

As I suspected,corned beef and pastami are a Jewish European thing brought to North America by those immigrants. The Irish settled near them and started using corned beef instead of the traditional bacon with their cabbage because it cost less. I have never had corned beef and cabbage and never will. I consider that a waste of good tasty meat.

This foto is what makes my mouth water.

corned_beef_on_rye_with_a_side_of_kraut_.jpg