Chapala.com Webboard

Down & Out in Rancho de Oro, out of water that is.

geeser

Thank you Mostly Lost.  None of our casas in Villa Nova have water meters and we pay for the water via the fracc fee.  I guess the only way they can control our usage during a time when the water table is shrinking is to shut the pressure to the system by closing the valve at the main tank.

43 minutes ago, SuzyQQ said:

Thank you Mostly Lost.  None of our casas in Villa Nova have water meters and we pay for the water via the fracc fee.  I guess the only way they can control our usage during a time when the water table is shrinking is to shut the pressure to the system by closing the valve at the main tank.

That was the case in many fraccs.  They have been installing meters for about 5 years one fracc at a time.  

Water collection and distribution is quite convoluted and confusing here. Chapala used to have 8 different wells. I don't know how many they have now. One fraccionamiento installed a number of meters on 30 some properties to test how they work. It turned out they didn't work very well and they were more or less abandoned. 

On 6/9/2020 at 8:07 PM, Mostlylost said:

Does anyone have actual information about the aquifer below our area?  My guess is everyone here is just guessing.

Last conversation I had with Simapa chief in Chapala he said the water table is down but that most of the wells here were not very deep originally.  That is why many needed to be re sleeved to get to a lower depth. He also said many of the pumps don't get cleaned regularly and that causes problems as well. His biggest complaint is lack of budget to do anything.

About 10 years of so back one of the Condo's was monitoring their well levels. They were reporting that their well water level had dropped 90' over a few years. Those of you in condos or fracs, go to your annual meeting and ask about water levels, most monitor the levels.

The Rancho de Oro well had to be shut down 7-8 years ago and pump pulled out and drilled deeper. They have to use a smaller bit and smaller casings to get it down through the current casing. 

16 hours ago, cedros said:

Water collection and distribution is quite convoluted and confusing here. Chapala used to have 8 different wells. I don't know how many they have now. One fraccionamiento installed a number of meters on 30 some properties to test how they work. It turned out they didn't work very well and they were more or less abandoned. 

The problem is that CNA bills a frac for water pumped. The meters on the wells also add the volume when it is just air (which there always it).  The residents think they should pay only for the metered water they recieve, The total of all the water metered to each house will be less than the CNA total from reading the well meter. The difference is delivery system (lines) loss and the air measured as water at the well head. There is an air exclusion device that can be added to the well but your managers have to know to have it added. There are always some taking water without it going through the meter. You also have remosos that don't pay the frac for the water but the frac has to pay the CNA bill anyway.

Several years ago a test meter on one of the properties in the Raquet Club would spin like crazy from just air when the property was actually getting no water. 

Many wells in the area produce thermal water (up to 65° C) . For years many people have used this thermal water to heat their swimming pools. They would dump a lot of water from their pool and then replace it with hot water from the well. That is where water meters can be very useful.