Chapala.com Webboard

Down & Out in Rancho de Oro, out of water that is.

geeser

7 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Yes! Most absurd and criminal waste of water IMO? Flushing the toilet every time you have a pee. First worlders probably flush more gallons of water a day, just to get rid of a little urine, than what a family of four in some parts of the world, subsist on for all their needs, in a day. 

Yes, that and watering lawns.

• Like 4

I think we are all going to have this problem soon.  It is serious enough the population growth on the north side of the lake is totally outstripping the infrastructure, the berry farmers are also rapidly pumping down the aquifers.  Soon we can expect some big tax/fee increases to pay for water treatment plants for this area.

• Like 1

Where I live which is the North/West side of Chapala, Simapa only lets the water run for a couple of hours a day which is generally enough to fill the head tank (Tinaco). Myself, I rarely flush after only a pee. Next time I see the Simapa guy all get the details in terms of water supply duration and time of day. Also, each water meter is limited to 10,000 liters a month for 100 pesos. beyond that its like purchasing gas...

• Like 2

On 2/27/2020 at 10:02 AM, Mainecoons said:

I think we are all going to have this problem soon.  It is serious enough the population growth on the north side of the lake is totally outstripping the infrastructure, the berry farmers are also rapidly pumping down the aquifers.  Soon we can expect some big tax/fee increases to pay for water treatment plants for this area.

Yes, there will be more to come as we run out of potable water. The driest season is coming soon. There will probably be lots of water rationing. 

We are not running out of water - just polluting it and moving it from its natural location (out of the water table) to other locations around the world.  Think of the Earths eco-system as a closed loop system.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:06 PM, mudgirl said:

Yes! Most absurd and criminal waste of water IMO? Flushing the toilet every time you have a pee. First worlders probably flush more gallons of water a day, just to get rid of a little urine, than what a family of four in some parts of the world, subsist on for all their needs, in a day. 

Or you can get a Toto mexican made 3.8L toilet. If you let go after you start the flush it stops with only a small amount being used. They also have fixed the problems that existed with the older efficient toilets. It flushes fine. No two flushes for number two.  I have four of these and think very highly about the water they save. They look good also.

22 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

Where I live which is the North/West side of Chapala, Simapa only lets the water run for a couple of hours a day which is generally enough to fill the head tank (Tinaco). Myself, I rarely flush after only a pee. Next time I see the Simapa guy all get the details in terms of water supply duration and time of day. Also, each water meter is limited to 10,000 liters a month for 100 pesos. beyond that its like purchasing gas...

Our issue was the (third time in several months) failure of the pump at the Villa Nova well that services us. Depending on where you live, you may get daily water from Simapa but we get water only twice a week, overnight, in west Rancho del Oro. It went out a week ago Thursday and was "repaired" two days ago, on schedule.

4 hours ago, lcscats said:

Or you can get a Toto mexican made 3.8L toilet. If you let go after you start the flush it stops with only a small amount being used. They also have fixed the problems that existed with the older efficient toilets. It flushes fine. No two flushes for number two.  I have four of these and think very highly about the water they save. They look good also.

I meant Cato not Toto. Got my toilets mixed up. Toto is a Japanese maker of plumbing fixtures.  My bad.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:13 AM, slainte39 said:

Just like it´s hard for Spanish, first language, speakers, then on to English to do the Anglo "J".  I have several well educated Mexican friends that, hard as they try, always manage to say New "Yersey", instead of New Jersey.  Then think of the poor Chinese trying to master the Latin letter "R".

You could write books about dialects and languages. I know we have a different dialect than the Southerners in the US. But we still understand each other.  We say cough ee   for coffee. But people know what we mean.  People in New York and New Jersey wouldn't try to make you say it as they do.    There is one word that rankles us though.  New Joysee . aghh

On 2/26/2020 at 12:13 AM, slainte39 said:

Just like it´s hard for Spanish, first language, speakers, then on to English to do the Anglo "J".  I have several well educated Mexican friends that, hard as they try, always manage to say New "Yersey", instead of New Jersey.  Then think of the poor Chinese trying to master the Latin letter "R".

You could write books about dialects and languages. I know we have a different dialect than the Southerners in the US. But we still understand each other.  We say cough ee   for coffee. But people know what we mean.  People in New York and New Jersey wouldn't try to make you say it as they do.    There is one word that rankles us though.  New Joysee . aghh

• 3 months later...
On 2/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, geeser said:

We had our own well but SIMAPA took it over years ago as they are taking over all the wells that CNA has registered. They took over the Villa Nova well as well. The rumor is the well on Rio Amazonas is relatively dry. All the wells in the lakeside area are dropping by several meters a year. Some have dropped below the casing. Many times SIMAPA will use a smaller casing and drill it deeper and add that new small casing. All wells belong to CNA therefore Simapa. Private wells have to be metered and you pay CNA for your water you use. The problem with SIMAPA is they won't keep pressure on the water line because of leaks they won't fix. When a pressurized line looses it's pressure, the line syphons in contaminates through the leaks as it drains on downhill. 

This is the first I've heard that our Villa Nova well and tank have been taken over by SIMAPA. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

The homes in the Ajijic village, lakeside of carretera, haven’t  been without water during the 15 years we have owned there.  (knock wood)  Just as a statistic in the water table discussion.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:06 PM, mudgirl said:

I think it is criminal for all those Berry Farms using water for a luxury non essential food...lump them with the Coke Cola and Beer people and you have a crisis waiting to happen. There should be a tax on the use of water based on its necessity... maybe invite the Israel's in to show us how to mange a valuable commodity...and no more grass lawns 

SuzyQQ. Simpa has taken over all wells.  I live in Puerta Arroyo SIMAPA had taken over well and Arroyo Alto's well.  The good part is SIMAPA pays the maintenance but we now pay SIMAPA for our water once a year plus we now have individual meters and pay quarterly 

On 2/26/2020 at 5:50 PM, Kyle said:

IN the future could we take water from the lake and stop sending it to Guad.?  I worry my home value will decline in the next few years with all this development going on and the possiblity of limited or no water

Guad takes four inches a year from the lake.  Not an issue. Our water comes from wells. You need to do some homework.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2020 at 11:02 AM, HoneyBee said:

Don't forget that the water pressure being off for most of the time because of too many leaks. in the system. When a line is pressurized and leaks and the the pressure is removed it syphons in the nasty water it has leaked into the soil, often in proximity to the black water pipe. First world countries keep the lines pressurized to insure the sanitized water stays that way.

9 hours ago, geeser said:

Don't forget that the water pressure being off for most of the time because of too many leaks. in the system. When a line is pressurized and leaks and the the pressure is removed it syphons in the nasty water it has leaked into the soil, often in proximity to the black water pipe. First world countries keep the lines pressurized to insure the sanitized water stays that way.

So common and so true.

Does anyone have actual information about the aquifer below our area?  My guess is everyone here is just guessing.

Last conversation I had with Simapa chief in Chapala he said the water table is down but that most of the wells here were not very deep originally.  That is why many needed to be re sleeved to get to a lower depth. He also said many of the pumps don't get cleaned regularly and that causes problems as well. His biggest complaint is lack of budget to do anything.

Can someone explain to me the relationship between ConAgua and Simpapa and what authority they have to control how much water is distributed from the well systems under their control?  Plus I haven't really seen an answer to my question above regarding geeser's comment about  the "takeover" of our Villa Nova well. Gracias in advance.

Conagua is the national system of water management and also climate information.  In Mexico the federal govt owns all water rights.

Simapa is the local system in Chapala that manages water & sewer. Basically the local govt controls SIMAPA. 

There are many different local systems. In Guadalajara it is SIAPA.