Chapala.com Webboard

Down & Out in Rancho de Oro, out of water that is.

geeser

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Does RdO have its own well, or does it rely on city water??

We had our own well but SIMAPA took it over years ago as they are taking over all the wells that CNA has registered. They took over the Villa Nova well as well. The rumor is the well on Rio Amazonas is relatively dry. All the wells in the lakeside area are dropping by several meters a year. Some have dropped below the casing. Many times SIMAPA will use a smaller casing and drill it deeper and add that new small casing. All wells belong to CNA therefore Simapa. Private wells have to be metered and you pay CNA for your water you use. The problem with SIMAPA is they won't keep pressure on the water line because of leaks they won't fix. When a pressurized line looses it's pressure, the line syphons in contaminates through the leaks as it drains on downhill. 

2 hours ago, geeser said:

We had our own well but SIMAPA took it over years ago as they are taking over all the wells that CNA has registered. They took over the Villa Nova well as well. The rumor is the well on Rio Amazonas is relatively dry. All the wells in the lakeside area are dropping by several meters a year. Some have dropped below the casing. Many times SIMAPA will use a smaller casing and drill it deeper and add that new small casing. All wells belong to CNA therefore Simapa. Private wells have to be metered and you pay CNA for your water you use. The problem with SIMAPA is they won't keep pressure on the water line because of leaks they won't fix. When a pressurized line looses it's pressure, the line syphons in contaminates through the leaks as it drains on downhill. 

It is a very sad situation that the inferstructure, water, roads etcat Lakeside are in a critical situation and getting worse

We are complaining more about roads because we see and use them every day..but water available is getting less and less ....what do you think our homes will be worth when we turn on the facet and nada!

• Like 1

Just now, slainte39 said:

My Canadian friend cannot quit saying Gua da la HAIR a...…..

I just don't get why Americans and Canadians have such a difficult time pronouncing the vowels correctly in Spanish, even when they've been in Mexico for years. I mean, there's only 5 vowels, folks, and in Spanish they are each only ever pronounced one way. Is it really that hard to remember 5 sounds?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I just don't get why Americans and Canadians have such a difficult time pronouncing the vowels correctly in Spanish, even when they've been in Mexico for years. I mean, there's only 5 vowels, folks, and in Spanish they are each only ever pronounced one way. Is it really that hard to remember 5 sounds?

Obviously it is for some people.

19 hours ago, mudgirl said:

It is the same when many people are trying to use their non native language. Most Mexicans can't spell my name even though it is quite simple-John.

Of course there are strong and weak vowels in Spanish and diphthongs and tripthongs.

Don't forget that Mexicans of different educational levels and Mexicans from different areas can pronounce Spanish quite differently.  At the Raquet Club the security guards usually came from Chapala or San Juan Cosala. They told me that sometimes they had little idea of  what the other was talking about

8 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Must  be that Canadian accent.....LOL   My Canadian friend cannot quit saying Gua da la HAIR a...…..

Ti na co.....pronounced  tee nah ko

Your phonetic pronunciation is even better. I was just trying to show that it's an A not an O (not knock but knack). Of course, that also may have just been a typo as well. Whatever. My bad.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

There are oceans of water, but desalinization is expensive and requires a lot of energy. No practical economic solution for the near future.

This too will be 'solved' by technology.... when it becomes our only reasonable alternative.   IMO

• Like 1

There are already technologies for harvesting water from the air. This is one of them... https://www.businessinsider.com/zero-mass-solar-panels-water-from-air-launch-us-2017-12

I am not a fan of desalinization because the extra salt extracted is usually dumped back into the ocean and that is unsustainable for marine life. Just another example of humans screwing up the ocean.

Many island countries have used the storage of rain water as their only source of water for decades. Here, it just pours off the roof and into the streets. THAT water could be used for flushing toilets or irrigation etc. We had that form of water storage in a farmhouse in northern Ontario as well as a dug well for drinking water.

Or, or ...

USE LESS! And, please, start now. Water is a finite resource to be respected.

20 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Just like it´s hard for Spanish, first language, speakers, then on to English to do the Anglo "J".  I have several well educated Mexican friends that, hard as they try, always manage to say New "Yersey", instead of New Jersey.  Then think of the poor Chinese trying to master the Latin letter "R".

There are sounds that are used in one language and not in another. I can totally understand someone not being able to pronounce a sound that doesn't occur in their own language. For instance, I can't proounce the vibrated double r in Spanish- my tongue just won't do that (believe me, I've tried and tried- I couldn't even do it as a kid when other kids used it to make the sound of a car)- but I can sort of fake it, at least I don't pronounce it like a hard English r.

But all the vowel sounds in Spanish are also common sounds in English. It's just a matter of realizing and remembering that an "a" always sounds like "ah", and doesn't have any other sound in Spanish, etc.

1 minute ago, Ferret said:

There are already technologies for harvesting water from the air. This is one of them... https://www.businessinsider.com/zero-mass-solar-panels-water-from-air-launch-us-2017-12

I am not a fan of desalinization because the extra salt extracted is usually dumped back into the ocean and that is unsustainable for marine life. Just another example of humans screwing up the ocean.

Many island countries have used the storage of rain water as their only source of water for decades. Here, it just pours off the roof and into the streets. THAT water could be used for flushing toilets or irrigation etc. We had that form of water storage in a farmhouse in northern Ontario as well as a dug well for drinking water.

Or, or ...

We could start saving now by baning non essencials like Coke and puting a premuim on other users of water for fancy drinks (beer!)

People here are discussing the worlds most precious  asset the availability of potable water and half of the usual assholes are arguing over spelling and pronunciation .....if you have nothing either relative or intelligent to add  ......can’t you just keep quiet for once .

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Yes! Most absurd and criminal waste of water IMO? Flushing the toilet every time you have a pee. First worlders probably flush more gallons of water a day, just to get rid of a little urine, than what a family of four in some parts of the world, subsist on for all their needs, in a day. 

• Like 1