Chapala.com Webboard

Propane tank reading

dealerdave

Does anyone know if there is a way to read the gauge on a propane gas tank that’s located on the roof other than climbing up on the roof and looking at it.  I’ve been told there’s an attachment that can give you a remote teadout but I’ve not been able to find anything like that.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Installed remote digital display gauges on all my apartments. The brand name is MEDIGAS. I purchased them on mercadolibre for about 800 pesos a piece. I believe that was a special sale price as it looks like they run about 1,600.00 pesos now. Each comes with all you need to install. The display is in liters as well as percentage. I love them, the gas delivery company not so much...

There is a device with a cable that connects onto the meter of the propane tank on the roof. That's very easy to install. Then you have to bring the wire with the LED readout device from the roof and attach it to a nearby wall. My tank is above the garage so it was easy to drop the cable down.

There is a fair amount of cable supplied but the distance is limited. Once attached to the wall and a battery is installed, pressing a button on the ground level device displays the percentage of gas left in the tank. Much easier than climbing onto the roof.

The devices I have are not battery operated. It comes with two phone like cables of 5 meters each. You simply have to remove the manual gauge on the tank and replace it with the electronic sensor. Then find a way to get the cable down to the monitor. I have tubes encased in the concrete which are for the TV cables so I simply used those.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all your advice, we purchased one on Mercado Libre and had our Handy Man install it. Total we paid was $1650 which included installation. The well known company quoted on here for the same exact product and service wanted $3850. What a rip off.

Here is the link to the one we bought:

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-582040914-medidor-de-gas-lp-para-tanque-estacionario-en--_JM?quantity=1#position=18&type=item&tracking_id=a3e80693-9fba-4fe1-a4eb-5e84751634a2

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-582040914-medidor-de-gas-lp-para-tanque-estacionario-en--_JM?quantity=1#position=18&type=item&tracking_id=a3e80693-9fba-4fe1-a4eb-5e84751634a2

• Like 1

I purchased this unit last year from Amazon. You download the app from the play store and you can just look at it any time on your cell phone. After a little calibrating it is spot on.  No wires. 
Here is the link. I had Alex P. bring it down. I also see that they will ship to MX.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-024-2001-Check-Sensor/dp/B077JJP27F/ref=sr_1_6?crid=PKNSSD6CWL05&keywords=remote+propane+tank+monitor&qid=1577140190&sprefix=remote+propan%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-6