Chapala.com Webboard

I finally have iLox

Ferret

So glad to hear Ferret!   Riberas was one of the areas that  lagged for long time.   Great to see they are finally there...if they're installing you, they are others as well.    I am using Ubiquiti Unifi AP's on my property..I just turned off the wifi and have them in a mesh network.   Everything works great.  I haven't hooked up my Ilox phone line yet..still have  the Telmex line. 

For those that prepaid and Ilox still hasn't installed, I suggest you hang on.  Cancelling will only get you your money back.   If anything, get more people near you to sign up.   The value add to real estate is a no brainer.  

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

"Riberas was one of the areas that  lagged for long time."......noting that SJC and further West is never mentioned.    Not even Ilox wants to discuss, they just want those west of SJC to get refunds, that way it will be the consumer's fault that service was never provided to those areas, they weren't willing to wait 3 years, no demand in the area.   

Technical news for iLox users: With fibre connections, even a single speck of dust can disrupt service. Yesterday, for the first time since I got the service on March 11, I lost Internet. But the green Internet light and the green PON light (indicating a service contract) were both on. Resetting did nothing. Damn, I thought: just like the cheap TelMex modems; what good is an Internet light if it tells you you have service when it doesn't?

I unplugged the fibre jack from the back of the box, carefully of course, blew on the end and in the service jack, and when I plugged it back in, voila: instant Internet.

There was no real reason for any dust to be present: the box had been lifted a few times over the last weeks, but never unplugged or location-changed or anything like that. The cable and jack certainly looked proper. Yet, this happened. A good bit of info for everyone with iLox. You never know.

Have had iLox for a month and a half, and have been underwhelmed to say the least.  Rarely speeds are above 30mbs - which is unfortunate, but the real problem has been the stability of the connection.  It gets dropped a lot, losing a lot of calls, or slowing to a crawl. 

I jumped on the forum to post and see if anyone had similar issues and possible solutions, but this thread proved to be a good place to start.  We have the HG6244C model modem as the poster above does.

I did the same as another poster and pulled out the fibre optic connection at the modem, and blew out the plug and receptacle.

Also, I hooked up an 8 year old Netgear router to the iLox modem as another poster in the thread has done.  

Flip flopping between the Netgear WiFi and the iLox WiFi and doing side by side speed tests with two computers...the old Netgear router has at least double the speed of the iLox WiFi router.  

We will see if the connection stabilizes over the next couple days.

8 hours ago, timjwilson said:

Mine did. It has gone out periodically since installation and the indicator not working is typical. The modems are garbage. I improved WIFI and expanded connections with  cheap Asus router.

How can I get an Asus or other better router and how much? I have had ILox for over 6 months and overall very happy. I am in SAT and pay $599 the highest rate and get a consistent 85 - 95 download. Recently there was a few short term fluctuations and I simply unplugged the modem to reset and also restarted my computer and BINGO...back to normal. I have the modem in my living room and the TV streaming app set up by the Brit, Derek (RIP). In spite of this blazing speed, I am noticing a little more buffering and even a few dropouts recently that I attribute to the strain on the internet because of the worldwide pandemic and many more people at home and online (frankly I am amazed that it is still holding up). If a different modem will improve the TV streaming, I am all in. By the way, again...please do not re-port your phone to ILox, it sucks!!! I am still going through a major Novela with Telmex to get service back with them (I will not bore you with the details here)...just beware!!! 

• Like 1

Not what you asked for but.... IF your iLOX modem is very close to the TV... you suggested that both were in the living room.... then an additional router w/wifi is probably NOT needed.  I assume that your 85-95 is a wired connection to a computer. Could be your streaming TV 'device' or your VPN (if you have one) or the..... virus!  😆

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 7:52 PM, gringohombre said:

How can I get an Asus or other better router and how much? I have had ILox for over 6 months and overall very happy. I am in SAT and pay $599 the highest rate and get a consistent 85 - 95 download. Recently there was a few short term fluctuations and I simply unplugged the modem to reset and also restarted my computer and BINGO...back to normal. I have the modem in my living room and the TV streaming app set up by the Brit, Derek (RIP). In spite of this blazing speed, I am noticing a little more buffering and even a few dropouts recently that I attribute to the strain on the internet because of the worldwide pandemic and many more people at home and online (frankly I am amazed that it is still holding up). If a different modem will improve the TV streaming, I am all in. By the way, again...please do not re-port your phone to ILox, it sucks!!! I am still going through a major Novela with Telmex to get service back with them (I will not bore you with the details here)...just beware!!! 

A router is only a solution for the poor quality port sharing of the Ilox modem. It will not help with dropped broadband. Amazon.

A good router may help your buffering issue if you need or are using a VPN. I could go on forever with the testing that I have done over the last year but the short story is that I have an Asus router with StrongVPN loaded on it and this has eliminated all buffering issues. Also, and I know some of the computer geeks here are going to disagree with me but I get faster download speeds with StrongVPN vs no VPN (measured by both Speedtest.net and Fast.com) and I guess this is because the internet is going directly to the US rather than bouncing around Mexico before getting to the US. In fact the Asus router with StrongVPN has made it possible that I can stream on Telmex internet so I will be cancelling the Ilox service very soon.

18 hours ago, bojackson said:

Off topic but anyone know how many installers iLox has?  

Chatting with an installer in January, he mentioned that they normally have two for the whole Ajijijc, -> Chapala area.  At that time however, it was only him.  The other installer had fell off a ladder and hurt his neck and back.

This is referring to the guys actually getting service brought into the house and got it going.  

18 hours ago, Out1 said:

A good router may help your buffering issue if you need or are using a VPN. I could go on forever with the testing that I have done over the last year but the short story is that I have an Asus router with StrongVPN loaded on it and this has eliminated all buffering issues. Also, and I know some of the computer geeks here are going to disagree with me but I get faster download speeds with StrongVPN vs no VPN (measured by both Speedtest.net and Fast.com) and I guess this is because the internet is going directly to the US rather than bouncing around Mexico before getting to the US. In fact the Asus router with StrongVPN has made it possible that I can stream on Telmex internet so I will be cancelling the Ilox service very soon.

Do all routers have the ability to load a VPN?  I have a Netgear N600 WNDR3700.

We use Express VPN for our phones and computers, which has been good...but our current installation is limited to those devices.

Generally speaking you have to buy a pre-configured router from one of the VPN companies, or learn how to download and install Tomato or DD-WRT software, which cannot be done on iLox, TelMex, or Wiz modems, but probably yes on your Netgear.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:01 PM, gringohombre said:

As a tech geek...NOT, would you mind putting this into non-geek language. Gracias

It just means that the Ilox modem is not good for plugging in several devices so I bought an additional router so I can do this. It does not assist with the incoming signal from the fiber optic wire.

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Generally speaking you have to buy a pre-configured router from one of the VPN companies, or learn how to download and install Tomato or DD-WRT software, which cannot be done on iLox, TelMex, or Wiz modems, but probably yes on your Netgear.

I find it unnecessary to load the VPN on the router. I just load it on each device.

Look out for CFE putting in new poles they just cut the fiber connections on the pole. Ilox responded well but it took a day to rewire the pole. Not so easy reconnecting fiber compared to coax for cable tv or two wire connection for DSL.  Sign of broken ilox connection is blinking red light on modem that says LOS (loss of signal I think).

Good description. I've never seen it named. But yes: If that light is blinking, the equipment has not received the optical signal. If it is off, and the Internet light is blinking or solid, it has Internet. The PON light indicates the modem is "activated", much the same as the TelMex modems use the DSL/WAN light to indicate it is an active unit.

I was lucky in Riberas: our CFE poles were replaced long before iLox turned up.

• Like 1