Chapala.com Webboard

I finally have iLox

Ferret

I've been waiting since May 14th, 2018 when I paid a year in advance. The installer, , Juan Jose, was fabulous with a great sense of humour. I told him I couldn't accept the modem because it's white and everything else on my desk is black. We had a good giggle. The modem is hardwired to my laptop and I'm, finally, a happy camper. This is the speed with fast.com

image.thumb.png.62d54f5845141e353e7b73d616d1ccf7.png

• Like 4

I have not tried the wifi because I know it sucks. I got phone and internet but won't be using the phone either. It is just worth it to me because I have had so many problems with Telmex here (Ajijic) in the past.  I intend to keep my Telmex line and internet but may try out the 389 peso level (currently paying 599 pesos) of Telmex to see what happens to that speed. If it drops then I may go back up to 599.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Shrall said:

Good choice opting out of ILOX telephone. Most people I know who cut ties with Telmex have returned after fighting constant telephone connectivity problems with ILOX. 

Yes you are correct Sir...I went with the ILox internet phone package and the internet is amazing but the phone service SUCKS...many, many dropped calls and other strange happenings. It took 4x a new PIN #, 3 trips to Telmex and about a month of frustration. So be warned!

Riberas on San Mateo. I got the call (no e-mail or text) this morning at 10 am that the installer would be here in a half an hour. He was and he left at 1:30 pm... up and down three different poles making secure connections until the wire actually got to my house.

I asked a lot of questions of Juan Jose (the installer). Where any iLox junction box is, only eight nodules are available for connection. Any line from that junction box is in ONE piece (not spliced) direct to your new iLox modem. Installation includes up to 100 meters of wire after which the cost is 10 pesos per meter.

The installer was very nice and very efficient. He told me he is working on his own since his partner fell backwards off a ladder two months ago. I did not ask how many installers iLox actually has (sorry).

I have been by ILOX office three times to check on progress of the installation.  Each time I have been by they have the wrong address on the work order. We correct the address and then the next time I go by the office we do it all over again.  I figure if I go by every other day then maybe in about 88 years they will be out of potential addresses at lakeside.  My new hobby.  I just wish they had coffee and donuts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really like my new Ilox too!

It was a five hour install because of the maze of tubes in the complex and no one understood the layout until the tube installer/electrician arrived and showed us a hidden hole cover.

We probably used about 100 meters of wire and with the longest run the new tubes were longer than the fish tape so some digging and cutting had to be done.

Jose could not have been nicer and showed up the day scheduled for install.

I only paid for 40MG. My computer is approx. 8 meters from the modem and I get 30MG wifi.

• Like 1

Fun and games...

Okay, so my house is small and one level and it is open concept except for the bedroom and bathroom but I just pulled the wired connection on my iLox modem and trotted around to make some observations. These are the results of the speed tests using Fast.com ...

Wired, on the desk... 72 mbps

Wireless, on the desk... 66 mbps

Wireless, at the dining table... 70 mbps

Wireless, on the sofa... 71 mbps

Wireless, on the front terrace... 66 mbps

Wireless, on the back terrace... 69 mbps

Wireless, in the bathroom... 48 mbps

Wireless, in the bedroom (on the bed and under the fluffy covers)... 47 mbps

• Haha 1

Gotcha. Actually, with the exception of a toilet, the rest of the area can be open concept if it is part of the bedroom. I happen to like this format... from https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/house-tour-escape-cabin-on-wheels-47354#cottage-on-wheels

Part of the bedroom but looking to the left...

bathtotheleft.jpg.9f12892e31db424b54c880bb2dd56d76.jpg

Part of the bedroom but looking to the right...

bathtotheright.jpg.feb4c766aa2aadc3af0359db5aa88531.jpg

And you can bet that iLox would cover this whole cabin easily. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been a year since I signed up. iLox installed cable on my street months ago, but only last week did they come back to put boxes up on the poles. So I went in to the office and arranged a visit for yesterday. Installer came on time, 90 minutes to install (no charge, but I believe that will appear next time I go to pay). I have the medium plan and it is working well.

This gives me the opportunity to study the iLox boxes and whatever problems might surface, to better help others with theirs. So far, only a handful of iLox customers.

Mike's iLox Speed 300.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bojackson said:

Telmex download 1.50, upload 0.31.  Waiting on iLox.  Supposedly within the next month.  However, I never see any installation going on and think maybe their personnel capabilities for new installs are woefully inadequate.  

Now THAT is the understatement of the year. All I can say is that it's worth waiting for but, depending on where you're located (you didn't say), you may be spitting into the wind.

Testing WiFi strength. The "modem" I got from iLox, model HG6244C, has a WiFi strength equal to the latest TelMex modems. And those modems are at the top of the list in terms of being updated to the latest WiFi capabilities, having improved by a minimum of 20% in terms of distance over the last few years.

The wireless router/booster/extender from TP-Link that I purchased specifically to use with iLox boxes, and added to my system, does add a good deal of strength to the signal. It is a $50 US device, and with the "older" iLox boxes, is worthwhile having, as those iLox boxes are very poor with WiFi. However, the newer iLox boxes probably will not need additional hardware like this.

Beyond that, once you get into the $200 - 300 range of "boosters" or "extenders", there is a better signal strength, but it has been my experience here that no one is interested in paying that kind of money, and they tend to "make do".

2 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

SNIP....

Beyond that, once you get into the $200 - 300 range of "boosters" or "extenders", there is a better signal strength, but it has been my experience here that no one is interested in paying that kind of money, and they tend to "make do".

Well, a few are/were and it helped immensely.  Good to hear that iLOX's newer modem installs have decent wifi coverage!