Chapala.com Webboard

Charter or private plane with pilot available?

Never saw that here, but I do recall there was a Cessna 172 at an "airfield" on the way to Fracc. Vista del Lago. I tried to check into renting it (with a pilot) since I got my Private Pilot license in one, and thought it would be fun to get behind the "stick" again. Never followed through though.

You might want to check there.

Being on an east or west coast wouldn’t the plane need to land in a bay or cove?  I am guessing that an ocean landing would be impossible with the waves.  And as I said, just guessing.

there is a lovely pacific coast town, Puerto Escondito.  Stayed there once.  Took a small plane from Oaxaca.  Aero Toucan was the airline from Oaxaca.

20 minutes ago, El Menudo said:

Being on an east or west coast wouldn’t the plane need to land in a bay or cove?  I am guessing that an ocean landing would be impossible with the waves.  And as I said, just guessing.

there is a lovely pacific coast town, Puerto Escondito.  Stayed there once.  Took a small plane from Oaxaca.  Aero Toucan was the airline from Oaxaca.

Puerto Escondito is  too large for what we have in mind and loaded to the  brim with tourists at Xmas time.  There are sheltered bays on both coasts which have the kind of beach that we want like this beach on the Michoacan coast.We are fully prepared to pay for what I stated in my OP and have no interest in flying from city to city and then a smaller plane to our destination.

beach in michoacan.jpg

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Our 30th will be in December and we want to do something special on a more or less non touristy type of beach but with good food and accomodation ,Pacific or Gulf  coast. Preferably A pontoon plane right from the lake here to the beach of our choosing.

I've never seen a float plane here  or seaplane like a Lake. There are planes for charter:

Estaban has a nice mooney 4 place estebanvigil@yahoo.com.ca    045-333-100-8736  • Mobile  333-719-7840  • Home

My son and a friend spent 3 months going around Mexico wwoofing,couch surfing and sleeping on beaches a few years ago and his favourites were in Michoacan.I will ask him the next time we talk. When I plan something like this I start well in advance researching. I am not adverse to looking at similar in Jalisco,Colima and Veracruz states. which are all in a short flying distance from the lake. Not being a sea plane would limit our choices so not interested in any other kind of plane unless the take off here is from our local small airport and there is a landing strip at the beach we choose. If I can't find a sea plane, geeser. I will try your suggestion, gracias.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rethinking beaches. Is there a beach on a calm bay outside of, or fringes of Manzanillo with a small hotel directly on the beach and a couple of restaurant, near it or in it. when we stayed in Zihautanejo at the Paraiso it was about 20 paces from our ground floor room to our beach lounges and pina colada service. Also, it looks like the lane thing is not possible so we are going to get our taxi friend Juan to drive us. Thinking late November or early December to avoid huge crowds. I am somewhat disabled and don't want a cliff place or  gigantic high rise.

16 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

What you are describing sounds a lot like La Manzanilla. 

Been about 15 years since we were there but I don't recall there being any hotels or bungalows right on the beach. I just did a google search and came up with nada on the beach.

F.Y.I. I asked our taxi guy if he could drive to Puerto Esconditido. He said he couldn' t because he had a yellow taxi and that with two obvious gringo passengers this would invite robbery in many parts of Michoacan. That was a couple of years ago, but I don't imagine much has changed, maybe now even a little bit worse.

Here's some others:

http://www.susanarentals.com/rentals/

https://www.visitlamanzanilla.com/la-manzanilla-vacation-rentals/rentals-on-the-beach/

http://www.lamanzanillahomes.com/category/beach/

There is some overlap.  Not a huge number of ocean front rentals there.

We also like this place a lot, between La Manzanilla and Manzanillo

https://www.goplayagrande.com/rentals/

Various units are listed on VRBO and Air B&B.  We've stayed there three times and taken our Oaxaca crew there with us.  It is definitely off the beaten path and super quiet.

I've seen quite a few secluded beaches beaches on the west coast that would seem to be perfect locations to build a hotel for float planes to fly customers to but I have never seen a float plane in Mexico.   

Thanks for all your input 99.9% of you. my wife and I much appreciate it. Our 30th is very important to both of us. Although I am doing all the research and with  help from some of you we have always made joint decisions as in all good partnerships. As with any project I start with everything and the kitchen sink and eliminate what cannot be like the private plane idea.I am still looking at Some of the Michoacan beaches that seem to be in the 5 +/- hour drive range. Maincoons gave a personal experience and that's what I'd like to hear about,por favor. What we like in a place: no fancy room[we only sleep in it. 1 brm with fan and windows for ocean breeze. everything right on beach including restaurants and divers that sell shucked raw oysters to be washed down with a pina colada. We like what Mexicans like and that's the sort of place in the fotos. Looking at late Nov. to early Dec. for about 4 days only. I hope this thread will be of interest to others as well.

Hotel Bella Vista,San Juan de Alima, Michoacan. March rate: $1194 MP/night.

lobster la palma sola michoacan cabanas.jpg

bella vista room.jpg

bella vista hotel.jpg

Two coastal places that stood out for me were the Coasta Careyes south of PV. Probably expensive and private now. and Puerto Angel in Oaxaca. The later wasn't expensive but small and very scenic. There was a large hotel on a hill at the edge of town which I will never forget as you could watch the sun rise out of the sea and and see it set in the sea. I think we were the only 3 guests at that hotel. Few tourists and lovely beaches.  

Hotel Cordelias is right on the bay with a great little restaurant and watering hole from which you step out onto the sand and a great swimming beach.  When a buddy and I rode the 200 from Tecoman to Puerto Angel this was by far the best place we stayed.  

• Like 1