Chapala.com Webboard

Are incoming passengers at GDL being checked for elevated temperatures?

Eric Blair

There have been  some recent news reports about the effectiveness of checking a person's   termperature as they de-board / board a plane. . The opinon at this  time, is that is is NOT an effective screening tool.   This is a very brief summary of those statememts: 

While the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has screened more than 30,000 passengers in the past month, not a single US coronavirus case has been caught by airport temperature checks, according to a CNN investigation .  

Earlier this month, British researchers published a study showing that temperature checks will fail to detect a coronavirus infection nearly half the time.
At least one country has found airport temperature checks so unhelpful that it decided not to do them during the novel coronavirus outbreak. Israel used them in previous years for Ebola, SARS and H1N1, but found that they didn't work.  "It is ineffective and inefficient," said Dr. Itamar Grotto, associate director general of Israel's Ministry of Health.  
Grotto said the problem is that a normal temperature gives "false assurance." Passengers with normal temperatures could still be in the incubation period, which means they're infected, but have yet to develop a fever.
In addition, a small number of patients with the novel coronavirus don't have fever, according to published studies.
Some experts are convinced that for these reasons, temperature checks at airports are useless.
"I don't think airport temperature checks have any major effect on stopping or even slowing down transmission," said Michael Osterholm, an epidemiologist and professor at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. "We just don't have any good data to support that."
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

I do not fear death, what I fear is the process of dying. Even worse, is dying when you are in basically good health.

The silver lining: If we die of a contagious illness, we won't be in good health. We might be dead, but our train of logic will be impeccable.

• Like 1

Any minor non-communicable infection can cause an elevated body temperature. It's absurd to believe that taking someone's temperature is an effective screening method for coronavirus or anything else. Any time you go out in public, you are exposed to all manner of bacteria and viruses. I suggest if you are freaked out about it, that you just stay home and never go out.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

Does anyone know of any precautions being taken at GDL regarding the Corona-virus?

Knowing the Mx government, I doubt it, but figured to ask.

Eric, I know sometimes it doesn't look like it, but the government does what to fight disease. About 12 years ago during a bad flu epidemic the government had nurses at the airport with booths set up giving free flu vaccines to everyone. Don't know if any other countries did this but Canada and the EAU weren't doing it then. 

• Like 1

There is nothing available to fight this virus and people can start spreading the virus before they start showing symptoms. 

Keep abreast of the news so we don’t have to be arguing with the ignorant. Let’s have a dialogue based on known facts. 

Dow futures this morning is -730 points so some people are starting to worry. 

• Like 2

The basic problem is it spreads from one apparently OK person to another.  About all you can do is minimize being in groups and wearing a mask.  They are saying a vaccine is at least a year away.

I'm concerned about what happens if and when it gets into the crowded areas of places like GDL and Mexico City.  

Currently they are estimating the death rate at 2 percent.  Not good but hardly the black plague.

Could definitely trigger a major recession.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jreboll said:

There is nothing available to fight this virus and people can start spreading the virus before they start showing symptoms. 

Keep abreast of the news so we don’t have to be arguing with the ignorant. Let’s have a dialogue based on known facts. 

Dow futures this morning is -730 points so some people are starting to worry. 

Agreed. 

The vaccine is a long ways off.  American Drug makers have been deploying drugs to China which make help and were originally to target HIV, Malaria and Ebola, for a trail use. However, even if those drugs work (In China where American drug makers are sending them), I wonder what is the chance that they will be shipped to Mexico?  I gather that is unlikely, provided the trials even go well.  

Those over 60+ and/or those with older (60+) immune systems appear to be hardest hit, and , it would benefit most from such measures.  Other measures (preventive) should also be taken seriously.   

7 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Currently they are estimating the death rate at 2 percent.  Not good but hardly the black plague.

Where did you read the 2% figure? From my reading, it's much lower than that. Like around 76,000 confirmed cases in China, and only less than 2500 deaths. That's like .03%.

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Well Eric, you will be pleased to know the Mexican government is right on top of this. They too found the temperature scanners were not accurate enough, so they have switched to the much more reliable anal thermometer method. Happy travels!

Well it was only a matter of time before "bend over" was added to the joy of contemporary flying along with agonizing sitting and the resulting periodic outbreaks of mayhem in the cabin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My bad. Yes, 3.3% I'm not normally math-challenged, just had a senior moment. 

The numbers out of China may or may not be beig reported accurately, I doubt any of us here has first-hand knowledge of that. People love conspiracy theories, especially when they involve nationalities or countries they have some prejudice against.

• Sad 1

Keep abreast of the news so we don’t have to be arguing with the ignorant. Let’s have a dialogue based on known facts.“

We are aware of the news. We just refuse to play the fear game. With all the news you believe you have gathered and all the fear you attempt to generate, THERE IS NOT ONE DAMN THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT ANY OF IT. Worrying, speculating, arguing, gathering statistics, buying conspiracy theories, guessing at what the government may or may not be doing, and (most of all) endless nattering on web boards with other old foreigners will not change your chances of dying from this flu. Doom and gloom prognostications do not save lives. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jreboll said:

THERE ISNOT ONE DAMN THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT ANY OF IT. 

Damn Chinese, they just haven’t learned from you. All those poor people being quarantined for nothing. Why don’t you take a flight out there to give them a piece of your mind. 

Did I say there is nothing ANYONE can do or did I say nothing  YOU can do? Did I really need to say “you personally” before you could understand what I am saying? It seemed simple enough.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1