Chapala.com Webboard

Dual Pane Windows

tomwins

Where can I get someone to retrofit our arch-shaped outside doorway which face the setting sun with dual-pane doors?

The heat coming in the windows is far to intense. We need better insulation.

Years ago, when in San Diego, we had dual pane retro-fit vinyl windows put into our house and it made incredible difference.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

• Confused 1

Actually you 'd be better with a low  g-value glass. That is a UV resistant glass. Down here most folks just have a reflective film put on the glass to repel UV and heat. You can also have any window here glassed with deep tint to repel heat. Stop by the glass store and tell them the problem

• Like 1

Do you want the heat value and light in the winter? If so, I would suggest an attractive retractable awning. Or you can fit your doors with something that is only put on during the hot months... sort of like screens but with UV resistant material instead of the screen that will give you the best of both worlds... kinda like a$$ backwards storm windows.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Do you want the heat value and light in the winter? If so, I would suggest an attractive retractable awning. Or you can fit your doors with something that is only put on during the hot months... sort of like screens but with UV resistant material instead of the screen that will give you the best of both worlds... kinda like a$$ backwards storm windows.

I don't think an awning would work on his doorway but they are great for windows.

Ask Jaime at ViLuMa in downtown Ajijic on the left. He speaks English and has being doing such for years. Or ask Francisco at Las Salvias-on the carretera just west of Perry's Pizza.. He also speaks English. He mainly does screens but I'm sure he would know about windows and shade.

• 7 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 12:59 PM, cedros said:

Ask Jaime at ViLuMa in downtown Ajijic on the left. He speaks English and has being doing such for years. Or ask Francisco at Las Salvias-on the carretera just west of Perry's Pizza.. He also speaks English. He mainly does screens but I'm sure he would know about windows and shade.