Chapala.com Webboard

Good Off

cedros

Has anyone seen Goof Off for sale anywhere. I use it mainly for cleaning latex paint off metal frames around windows. It works so well but seems to have disappeared. I just need one small tin of it. Superlake as a large spray can of it but it is pricey-272 pesos.  

image.jpeg.ade9976e02122e82725518340eec2bcb.jpeg

image.jpeg

I will try WD 40. Last time I was at Home Depot (a month ago) they had discontinued it. This was the Home Depot on Lopez Mateos. Was that the same Home Depot you bought it at? Home Depot doesn't list it in their online catalog.

11 minutes ago, ibarra said:

WD40 is available at Walmart and Soriana.  Truper has a similar product also.

Yes it is widely available. I will buy some to see it it works.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:11 PM, ibarra said:

WD 40 does't work near as well as Goof Off. There was be a small hardware store somewhere that still has it.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:24 PM, Fred Habacht said:

Yes, on Lopez Mateos. Goof off was in the paint aisles where glue is kept. They also had their own label that mimicked goof off.

Not on Lopez Mateos. They haven't carried it for awhile.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:11 PM, ibarra said:

WD 40 doesn't work

On 2/22/2020 at 9:04 PM, Ferret said:

Those are all huge expensive containers. I just need a small one.

5 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Go to your auto store and get a bottle of spray carburetor cleaner.  Works great on metal.

I would maybe buy that only if I could try it first

7 hours ago, rafterbr said:

Go to your auto store and get a bottle of spray carburetor cleaner.  Works great on metal.

I should have clarified this.  The carburetor cleaner comes in a can or bottle you pour in you gasoline/petrol to clean your auto carburetor.  You simply pour the cleaner in a spray bottle and use it.  Works great on metals haven't tried on anything else. I used it on stainless steel fixtures was told this (secret?) by a commercial cleaner.  Try a little and if you don't like it pour it in your gas tank and get a clean carburetor!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rafterbr said:

I should have clarified this.  The carburetor cleaner comes in a can or bottle you pour in you gasoline/petrol to clean your auto carburetor.  You simply pour the cleaner in a spray bottle and use it.  Works great on metals haven't tried on anything else. I used it on stainless steel fixtures was told this (secret?) by a commercial cleaner.  Try a little and if you don't like it pour it in your gas tank and get a clean carburetor!

That is a thought but it would be nice to now that it works before you bought it. I'm going to look at some old ferreterias in Chapala today for Goof Off

I checked Superlake & Walmart & the Former ACE in Chapala again today for Goof Off.  There is an old hardware store in Chapala at Morelos and Juarez that I thought would have it. No joy. Off to check in Guadalajara next week. .

1 minute ago, CHILLIN said:

Buy an inexpensive steam cleaner. Cleans/blasts latex no problem, also cleans out gunk in your window frames, kitchen grease, 100 other possibilities. Works with environment friendly water.

That sounds like a good cleaner but I am at the stage in life where I don't want to buy more things that I will have to lug around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 9:57 AM, mattoleriver said:

Will nail polish remover do the job? Acetone?

I don't know. I don't have any.

Home Depot on Lopez Mateos has Goof Off again but it is in huge (expensive) containers that would last me several life times. It is not in the paint aisle. They had another product called Gob something but said it didn't work very well. They talked me into buying EZ Strip but it doesn't work. Some of the helpful suggestions may work but I would much rather buy something that definitely works. I don't need a lot. 
Somewhere some hardware stores must have small tins of Goof Off. It anyone sees some could they post?