Chapala.com Webboard

For people in the Chapala/Ajijic areas.

Eric Blair

Would anyone be interested in trying this in the Chapala/Ajijic area?

https://iheartdogs.com/city-introduces-programs-to-make-life-better-for-street-dogs/

I'm sure we would have to get permission from the powers-which-be at the Municipal Palace. I could work on that.

"We" could then look for merchants who would let us put the feeders at their business.

Then each area would be divided into a certain number of square blocks and each block would have a person that would make sure the feeders are filled.

Of course, details would have to be worked out but if enough people care, then it can happen.

The other option would be to petition the municipality to do it (Big LOL here).

I also think this would be good P.R. for the cities.

If you are on FB, please pass this link on.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

I saw this  article, and  discussed it with a few people who are involved with animals rescue, sterilizations clinics, and etc.. thought it was a  noble idea..

However,   more than one person mentioned that  in past years about unknown SOBs  who have put out poison randomly ..[ they were not caught as far as I am aware ]  and this might give them a greater opportunity to carry out their hateful sadistic acts..  I am not being  negative in saying this or bringing this  up , but there   needs to be some kind of safeguards  for the protection of the dogs eating  at these feeding stations.

23 hours ago, Xena said:

Without an accompanying sterilization program you would increase the homeless dog population further straining the dog rescue operations here.

A sterilization project has to be the first step.

• Like 1

There are two separate sterlization organizations  in place, one for each seperate municipality- Chapala and  Joco.                                                                                                                     

For  Chapala is: Operacion Amor,   and for Joco is:  Tails of Mexico.   The only 'divison' for  this sterlization service  is the boundry of the municipality,  not the name  of  the city - township within  the municipality.  If you have been here for a while, you will see the difference of how things  looked in the cat and dogs populations as compared to a few years ago.

These two  groups are  totally funded by donations and fund raising events, and staffed by volunteers and paid Vets who specialize in sterilzation surgeries, etc...  The programs  are limited by the amount of donation  funding,   which impacts / determines  how  many  sterlizations clinics can be  done as well  as how many   surgieries can be accomplished. The other factor is how many  people  volunteer   to  participate  in the programs.  There are educational components associated with each organization  - care and respect of pets, the need /purpose   of sterilzations, etc..    Those who have been here for a while, and involved  in the organizations in varying degrees have seen that over  time this educational portion of each organization   has shown  slow but positive increments of  success ... ... there have been more male dogs and cats bringing  brought into these clinics  for surgeries than is past years..

So yes, organize the feeding  program , but also help the groups that need and appreciate your financial support to continue  to do this needed service for  Mexican Nationals of limited financial means, who do love and  care about their pets , but  have limited physical access or financial access to a Vet for this  type of pet care.

• Like 3

So we should not feed hungry animals because they are not sterilized ?  Not feeding them is not going to get them sterilized.  I do not understand that thought process .

there is free sterilization coming up soon in SJC and many scheduled in Chapala through out the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Kyle said:

So we should not feed hungry animals because they are not sterilized ?  Not feeding them is not going to get them sterilized.  I do not understand that thought process .

there is free sterilization coming up soon in SJC and many scheduled in Chapala through out the year.

So, are you taking these animals to be spayed/neutered, or who will do that so we are not just feeding and letting them multiply? Gotta know this info first.

37 minutes ago, Jackie said:

There are two separate sterlization organizations  in place, one for each seperate municipality- Chapala and  Joco.                                                                                                                     

For  Chapala is: Operacion Amor,   and for Joco is:  Tails of Mexico.   The only 'divison' for  this sterlization service  is the boundry of the municipality,  not the name  of  the city - township within  the municipality.  If you have been here for a while, you will see the difference of how things  looked in the cat and dogs populations as compared to a few years ago.

These two  groups are  totally funded by donations and fund raising events, and staffed by volunteers and paid Vets who specialize in sterilzation surgeries, etc...  The programs  are limited by the amount of donation  funding,   which impacts / determines  how  many  sterlizations clinics can be  done as well  as how many   surgieries can be accomplished. The other factor is how many  people  volunteer   to  participate  in the programs.  There are educational components associated with each organization  - care and respect of pets, the need /purpose   of sterilzations, etc..    Those who have been here for a while, and involved  in the organizations in varying degrees have seen that over  time this educational portion of each organization   has shown  slow but positive increments of  success ... ... there have been more male dogs and cats bringing  brought into these clinics  for surgeries than is past years..

So yes, organize the feeding  program , but also help the groups that need and appreciate your financial support to continue  to do this needed service for  Mexican Nationals of limited financial means, who do love and  care about their pets , but  have limited physical access or financial access to a Vet for this  type of pet care.

Yes there are two programs but they miss so many animals. More needs to be done.

I understand  your feeling   of " more needs to be done  "..

It comes down to reality and economics ..   it costs money.

The medicines  for the surgery are not cheap .. suture material costs $, and  etc ...                                                                                                                                                 You also have to have the people volunteers, to inform people  about the clinics, staff  the clinics themselves, etc..

If you have a certain amount of   donated money, that equals a certain  number of surgeries that  can be done.  Hard cruel facts ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you feed animals more of them live and reproduce more puppies more of whom survive. The problem grows larger over time. People I know who set up feeding stations also trap the dogs one or more at a time, sterilize them, keep them for a couple of days, and return them to the feeding site. The pack is stabilized. These people also check the dogs when they come everyday to feed them. Sick or injured dogs are taken to a vet. It takes a lot of work and a commitment of time, energy, and money. Is this the kind of program the OP wants to take on? Otherwise, he can do like so many other people do and put out food in areas where he sees street dogs. It makes him feel good and the dogs are less hungry for as long as they manage to stay alive. 

There many FREE spay and neuter clinics in this area.  Two different organizations do it in Chapala, SJC and many villages around the lake.  They put ads in papers and put up posters.  So there are FREE clinics available, vets donate their time and these organizations raise money to pay for the drugs and have a lot of volunteers.

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

There many FREE spay and neuter clinics in this area.  Two different organizations do it in Chapala, SJC and many villages around the lake.  They put ads in papers and put up posters.  So there are FREE clinics available, vets donate their time and these organizations raise money to pay for the drugs and have a lot of volunteers.

Yes. And they do an amazing job, as do those involved in dog rescue here. They take responsibility for the lives and health of the dogs they take in. I believe anyone thinking of organizing a city-wide feeding program should be first talking to those already in the trenches and learn how the program they are considering could best coordinate with what is already being done. For as much as has been and is being done there is still so much more needed. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, cedros said:

Yes there are two programs but they miss so many animals. More needs to be done.

Would you be willing to contribute so that they can do more?  There is a new organization to raise funds for this named Pesos for Paws. You could also volunteer at the spay and neuter clinics to be of help if funding is not possible.  https://pesosforpaws.org/about-pesos-for-paws/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gimpychimp said:

Would you be willing to contribute so that they can do more?  There is a new organization to raise funds for this named Pesos for Paws. You could also volunteer at the spay and neuter clinics to be of help if funding is not possible.  https://pesosforpaws.org/about-pesos-for-paws/

Maybe. I contribute to the other two programs.

3 hours ago, gimpychimp said:

What are the advantages of donating through PforP rather than directly to the spay/neuter programs themselves?

6 hours ago, Xena said:

What are the advantages of donating through PforP rather than directly to the spay/neuter programs themselves?

Pesos for Paws are set up to take donations through the Foundation for Lake Chapala Charities, which provides tax receipts for Americans. I don't know how they differ from Tails of Mexico but I think they are set up that way too.

41 minutes ago, gimpychimp said:

Pesos for Paws are set up to take donations through the Foundation for Lake Chapala Charities, which provides tax receipts for Americans. I don't know how they differ from Tails of Mexico but I think they are set up that way too.

So, if a donor doesn’t care about receiving tax receipts they might just as well donate direct to the organizations receiving the money?

On 2/21/2020 at 9:13 PM, Jim Bowie said:

So, are you taking these animals to be spayed/neutered, or who will do that so we are not just feeding and letting them multiply? Gotta know this info first.

There is a third program which continually gets overlooked Lakeside Friends of the Animals has had a spay/neuter program for years targeting Mexican nationals of limited means Last year we neutered close to 1400 animals as well as providing emergency care for street dogs and giving puppy vaccines through our 4 Vets, This year we opened a Spay/ neuter clinic beside the Riberas Pet Store funded by the profits from the store.

The big issue is warehousing the many animals that require weeks of care before becoming strong enough to survive on the streets.or even be given for adoption. There is an army of wonderful people who offer short term care unfortunately more and more animals show up each day needing help.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1